cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepping for fall travels

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II

I've started prepping for our fall travels this past week.  Flushed the freshwater system, used a wand to flush out the water heater, cleaned everything up inside (where does all the dust come from?), and made another rear step handrail yesterday.  We did a big friends and family 4,300-mile round trip this spring and now are getting ready for a 1,500+ mile fall trip visiting old friends and a little sightseeing.  We park our camper for the summer to avoid the heat and summer vacationing crowds and enjoy ourselves in the spring and fall instead.  Anyone else avoid the summer heat and crowds? 

IMG_5336.jpg 

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

8 REPLIES 8

Radstravel
Explorer
Explorer

We just made reservations to go to Florida leaving Washington state in January. We plan on returning in April so we are now prepping for the pulling of our 5th wheel. Like the idea of flushing the hot water tank. Any other suggestions for first time cross country pulling?

Turn on every slide out and appliance to include your stove, oven, water heater, water pump, refrigerator, furnace, and air conditioner to make sure they are working properly.  I see so many posts on Facebook where folks are out at a campsite only to discover their refrigerator or slide are inoperative. 

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

Looks awesome. I really need to venture out of Southern California.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Bedlam

We camp twice a month all year long. Our destinations are based on weather and we adjust for peak times. Right now, we are on the OR coast for 8 days. We left home before the holiday surge and will return with same type of plan.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

We did the entire Oregon coast in the spring of '23, we'll definitely be back!  We stayed at State Parks along the coast and really enjoyed them.  Next spring we are thinking of adding an offshore fishing trip on our Oregon return.  

Umpqua Lighthouse State ParkUmpqua Lighthouse State Park

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB

how hard is it to get into state parks down there?  we want to do a trip like that , but don't want to tie ourselves down reserving ahead.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

I also avoid summer camping. My trailer gets parked in late April and comes out again around Halloween. I'm in San Diego so I could camp year round. But don't want to deal with crowded campgrounds.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

I kind of do, in the summer I travel a littlew farther or to harder to get to places off the beaten pather to escape the heat and to be able to find sites.  we have forestry rec sites, and a good chunck of them in the interior are up logging roads or old abandoned logging roads where you are not going to tow a nice rv through.  so truck campers, and tents are the majority of the units you'll see in them.  plus with summer temps in the 110F+ range I have to drive about an hour into the higher elivations so its cool enough at night to sleep good.  I start camping in march/april normaly and finish in november.  some times I will go before or after these dates but normaly thats my camping season

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100