cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smaller or more minimalist truck camper

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I do not have a TC but have been thinking about it again. I have been thinking of all kinds of RVs but keep going back to "smaller" or "less demanding with upkeep" or "less." And I often think of just having a camper shell and a mattress underneath for sleeping. But... especially if I have my lady friend along, a bathroom would be a big help. A man is not as picky with bathroom needs. A kitchen would be nice but I just keep gravitating to maybe I don't want a big truck camper, not sure yet. They are certainly expensive.

I have a 2008 Nissan Titan truck and it's got 230k miles, so, I won't be using it, I am due for a new truck. Probably would buy a 3/4 ton minimum, maybe even 1-ton but also 4wd. Unsure of bed length. If I had just a shell, would probably get a 6.5 ft bed, minimum, as I am 6'2" tall. An 8 ft would be even better but the entire truck would be longer, and it seems kind of clunky to maneuver around.

Just wondering... do they make smaller truck campers with less bells and whistles but that have bathrooms? Or what other options, possibilities, could I explore? If I didn't need a bathroom and just had a camper shell with mattress, that could suffice for some nights. I also have a tent I could use sometimes.

I guess I could also consider a popup to pull but I would rather it all be there on a truck.

I am not afraid of camping under the stars but something self-contained would be better for a woman, and certainly better even for me in weather. While mentioning weather, I don't like to be hot, so, an a/c sure would be nice in the warmer months. But I could also just travel in cooler climes!
22 REPLIES 22

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cptqueeg wrote:

While the options are available at FWC doesn't mean you have to buy it from them. For instance installing your own battery bank, solar, and inverter is pretty well cookbook stuff with plenty of quality examples here at rv.net to follow.

As for the FWC market you couldn't be more wrong. There isn't anything out there to be had. Sold mine for more than I paid after deciding it wasn't for us. They get snapped up in a matter of hours once posted on line.

The beauty of a shell is NOT building it out, its leaving it empty and packing only what you need on each trip. And you can still fit a fair amount of cargo using it as a DD.

So basically $20k for a shell, that will still require some level of construction and additional cost. Those things don't even come with tiedowns on the shell package. Do they have jacks either? You see my point.

As far as availability, I just did a quick CL search of the PNW (250mi radius of Pendleton, OR. There was a dozen or more popup TC's. Couple with truck/camper packages and 2 or 3 were FW campers. Market may be different than it was when you were looking. (it is, it's turning) And the seasons are changing soon.

I could go buy 4dozen of those shells if I wanted to, but I wouldn't buy 1 at that price and if I wanted a popup TC with any decent resale value, I'd buy one that has camper "stuff" and amenities in it.
Otherwise throw a topper on your truck and pretend your homeless for ALOT less money and not much less convenience than a shell.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
WinMinnie02 wrote:
If you have the $, new 1 ton truck extended cab diesel 4wd dually 8 foot bed. Go big or go home.

Why stop at 1 ton or at only an extended cab?
If you're already going to go completely overkill on all accounts compared to what is actually/reasonably needed, then go BIG! lol

PS, the lol = sarcasm.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
livemusic wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
The 8' FWC shell model is $18K, the 8' FWC Grandby side dinette is $28K so it's $10K cheaper(plus tax, if applicable.) The 6.5' Hawk has the same $10k difference in prices btwn models. Idaho requires a title and therefore state sales tax, where the shell model does not require the title. ymmv

Any accessories added are going to cost the same on either the shell or fully built out model. You'll need solar, batteries, and controller.

Throw in your camp stove, water supply, porta potty, diesel heater, 12v cooler, and you're good to go. The interior is empty so you can bring lots of stuff and it's only limited by what can fit through the door.

Grandby shell build

Regarding your link, I appreciate having that to review, as it shows so many options you, typically, need to consider getting, if not all, and provides the price.

Thanks to all responses, I may have to just buy bigger and more complicated. Sure is a lot to analyze, lol. I wish I could just find a used truck and truck camper ready to go and drive away! I not only have to choose a truck, but then an RV, sheesh!

I'm going to characterize your budget as relatively limited, based on your couple posts.
Buying something like the FW shell model either completely bare, or ala carte (the prices on some of the "options" assume the buyer basically can't even use a screwdriver or go to the hardware store...) is a horrible financial decision. Unless I'm wrong about the budget part.
For the cost of just a new shell, or less, you can buy the whole camper, same thing (used of course). The resale in the future on the shell will be 0 for the vast majority of pop up TC buyers and very limited for the few that may want to build it out.

While the options are available at FWC doesn't mean you have to buy it from them. For instance installing your own battery bank, solar, and inverter is pretty well cookbook stuff with plenty of quality examples here at rv.net to follow.

As for the FWC market you couldn't be more wrong. There isn't anything out there to be had. Sold mine for more than I paid after deciding it wasn't for us. They get snapped up in a matter of hours once posted on line.

The beauty of a shell is NOT building it out, its leaving it empty and packing only what you need on each trip. And you can still fit a fair amount of cargo using it as a DD.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the $, new 1 ton truck extended cab diesel 4wd dually 8 foot bed. Go big or go home.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
livemusic wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
The 8' FWC shell model is $18K, the 8' FWC Grandby side dinette is $28K so it's $10K cheaper(plus tax, if applicable.) The 6.5' Hawk has the same $10k difference in prices btwn models. Idaho requires a title and therefore state sales tax, where the shell model does not require the title. ymmv

Any accessories added are going to cost the same on either the shell or fully built out model. You'll need solar, batteries, and controller.

Throw in your camp stove, water supply, porta potty, diesel heater, 12v cooler, and you're good to go. The interior is empty so you can bring lots of stuff and it's only limited by what can fit through the door.

Grandby shell build

Regarding your link, I appreciate having that to review, as it shows so many options you, typically, need to consider getting, if not all, and provides the price.

Thanks to all responses, I may have to just buy bigger and more complicated. Sure is a lot to analyze, lol. I wish I could just find a used truck and truck camper ready to go and drive away! I not only have to choose a truck, but then an RV, sheesh!

I'm going to characterize your budget as relatively limited, based on your couple posts.
Buying something like the FW shell model either completely bare, or ala carte (the prices on some of the "options" assume the buyer basically can't even use a screwdriver or go to the hardware store...) is a horrible financial decision. Unless I'm wrong about the budget part.
For the cost of just a new shell, or less, you can buy the whole camper, same thing (used of course). The resale in the future on the shell will be 0 for the vast majority of pop up TC buyers and very limited for the few that may want to build it out.

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:

Grandby shell build

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The way it sounds, I don't think the lady will appreciate showering with nothing between her and the outside world but a thin piece of fabric. I also don't think the lady will appreciate doing her business into a glorified bucket, again with nothing between her and the outside world but a thin piece of fabric.

As far as the A/C you can do whatever you want. Put a rooftop unit on a "camper shell." Figure out a way to hang a window unit. The possibilities are limited only by your creativity.

Your needs are just too contradictory right now. Beyond any sort of compromise. You need to figure out what you REALLY want.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II

Grandby shell build

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I understand what you're looking for but like others have said trying to customize anything would cost you more than just buying a unit with more features.

I do know that Northern lite made a lighter camper unit design specifically for what you're looking for using a cassette toilet but you will still get more then what you want.

You may be further ahead to find an older camper with a good shell and gut it and only put in what you want if you're concerned about the weight.

Myself when I was looking I considered all the units that were available and ended up going with an older Northern lite which was lighter than a pop-up camper.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
The camper solution is impossible to find. You want simple and uncomplicated and the "lady" wants complications and amenities.

Here's the solutions, stick w camping spots that supply the amenities, bring them along, or find a new "lady." Each has its own downsides.

I can't find a new "lady" at this stage and have tried to provide the amenities but it's complicated and as soon as it get's below 25F I get nervous. And it's very limiting.

I want to be w fewer people so I need to go when no one else wants to be in places which means snow and cold so onboard water(showers/toilets) is an issue. In the summer we choose places w pit toilets and rivers, and lakes to swim in and deal w more people. (thank fully way less crowded this summer.)

I now have a class B w diesel heat, solar, A/C, 2nd alternator w DC to DC converter, and 450 amps Li batts which can reportedly can run the A/C overnight. So far we've just needed the A/C to cool the van on the day of travel for an hour before bed. We haven't used the shower or toilet yet.

Why I'm now in a B vs a TC.

Diesel heat

Ample Li batts

2nd alternator w DC to DC converter - alleviates the need for a generator and can be used where no generators are allowed

Lower bed height

could not buy a suitable truck or an 8' Four wheel camper TC(neither were readily available)

limited storage area

A pop up trailer is going to provide a lot more room than a TC or a B. It's nice to park it and have the truck to move around unencumbered.

A shell model TC(perhaps w the addition of an enclosed trailer) is also a good solution for long trips where you want all the toys like bikes, propane firepit, fishing tackle, canoe, extra coolers, or what ever. Just rig the TC or pop-up w diesel heat, big Li battery bank, solar, and truck w 2nd alt and DC to DC converter.

Water, shower, stoves, 120v/12v electric coolers/freezers, porta-potty and shelters can be added as needed on each trip.

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that there is a term for what I described as one of the RV ways I have been considering -- "a camper shell with a mattress underneath" and this is known as a "truckbed camper." So, since I have an aversion to heat, I must travel north or else have an a/c. Can anyone describe my options for this? Further clarifying that at this time, I am sticking with these options... truck camper, truckbed camper or popup tow-behind camper. (Of course, I could get a Class A, B or C or travel trailer and have a/c but, for now, I keep learning toward smaller, less upkeep versus an A, B or C or travel trailer.)

Like, if I were to learn toward a truckbed camper, how could I have a/c? Could you rig up some type of roof a/c or put in a small window unit and have a generator?

If this is just too problematic, I will just have to choose my RV type and stay north! Which I really plan to do anyway, because a key reason I am even going through this is to escape the brutal heat of Louisiana summers; I have had it!

Of course, I still have "the lady wants a bathroom" problem. And shower. Which brings me back to truck camper or something else. But... there are outdoor showers and portable toilets. Still researching all of this, TIA!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JoeChiOhki wrote:
livemusic wrote:
I have a 2008 Nissan Titan truck and it's got 230k miles, so, I won't be using it, I am due for a new truck. Probably would buy a 3/4 ton minimum, maybe even 1-ton but also 4wd. Unsure of bed length. If I had just a shell, would probably get a 6.5 ft bed, minimum, as I am 6'2" tall. An 8 ft would be even better but the entire truck would be longer, and it seems kind of clunky to maneuver around.

I may be a tad behind on this subject, so folks of the forum please correct me, but I don't think Nissan makes anything larger than 1/4 Ton - 1/2 Ton range vehicles, at least not in the North American market and I believe they're a 5'5" bed?

With your current vehicle a small tow behind trailer would probably better fit what you're after, as what you can haul in your bed is going to be fairly limited.

What the OP has now is irrelevant. It is clearly stated, "I won't be using it," and "Probably would buy a 3/4 ton."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
livemusic wrote:

I may be a tad behind on this subject, so folks of the forum please correct me, but I don't think Nissan makes anything larger than 1/4 Ton - 1/2 Ton range vehicles, at least not in the North American market and I believe they're a 5'5" bed?

With your current vehicle a small tow behind trailer would probably better fit what you're after, as what you can haul in your bed is going to be fairly limited.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 23 yr-old NorthStar pop-up camper that I love! In the N* line, any camper labeled "SC" means self-contained and has a wet bath. Mine is a "TC" but offers plenty of cabinet space to stow a portapotty.
Anyway - it's not hard to add A/C to most campers; N* puts a window in the back that can be removed and a conventional window A/C can be placed in the opening. It's MUCH cheaper than a roof-mounted unit.
I agree with others - it's easier to find a fully-optioned camper, than find one as a shell-with-bath
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!