cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So what did you do to your Truck Camper today?

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I saw these threads in some of the other Open Roads RV Forums, but didn't see one for TCs.

I'll start...

I installed Interior LED puck lights and a 12v power outlet.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
3,114 REPLIES 3,114

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
The days are getting shorter and colder. Yesterday, after work, under the spotlight and at 30 F, I routed my wires for the solar panel. A bit scary walking over the icy roof but things have to get done, heading south in Feb. Today I will install my muffler on the onan gene. I made a modified tube using a car flex tube between the muffler and the exhaust tube. It worked great, it seem to smooth the sound a bit too. Now the only noise I have is from the gene itself.
Hope they had put a honda 2000 in this camper, would have been much less noise and much more efficient.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

jason4598
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at all the problems it has, and wished I was as handy as you folks.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
garryk6 wrote:
A little late from last week, But we CAMPED in the camper! In weather that ranged from a low-low of 11F below zero to a high-high of 16F above zero!

Garry in AK

I'm gona say you didn't stick your toung to the camper.

that my friend is cold to be camping.

Dar
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:

My hat is off to you Sir!!! Outside doing camper plumbing projects in that bitter cold? WOW!!!!!

We're having a heat wave! it is 44F ABOVE 0 today! It won't last, but living on an island in the Gulf of Alaska you learn that the one constant is "if you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes, the weather will change" Some times its more than 5 minutes, but at times it will change just that fast! But a HOT day in Kodiak in the summer is 65F. And other than last week, the usual lows in the winter hang around mid 20s to mid 30s. Last week the island got a bitter cold blast from the North that drove temps to single digits above and winds to 70mph! I'm glad we were in Anchorage where it was just single digits above and below, with no wind...:@

Garry in "Balmy" Kodiak
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Chief_2
Explorer
Explorer
I attempted to change the air filter and spark plug on my generator. Air filter was no problem, but to change the spark plug you have to drop the generator out of the TC. If they had just put an access plug in the pan it sits on it would have been easy. Needless to say the plug didn't get changed. Only 52 hrs. on it anyway.
I also insulated one of my compartments with some foam board left over from an insulation project on my 5'r bedroom.
2005 Lance 1181 Loaded
2005 Chevy 3500 4X4 Duramax, Edge Attitude Tuner, 5" Exhaust, Airaid, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig
2007 38RL3 Mobile Suite
2001 Bass Tracker 185

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
garryk6 wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
Nothing in 60+mph winds.

Our winds finally took a break, and I was able to take the camper off the truck, and got the pallets and blocks under it for stability before the winds kick up again! And when we have a day that it isn't raining or snowing, I can crawl under and install my new gray water tank and get it plumbed in. Then I can add the floor insulation. Hate to take it off, but more snow is coming, and really don't like plowing with the camper on because I can't see to the rear real good. But i will miss the weight in the bed of the truck!;)

Keep up the ideas for the camper projects!!!

Garry

My hat is off to you Sir!!! Outside doing camper plumbing projects in that bitter cold? WOW!!!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
Nothing in 60+mph winds.

Our winds finally took a break, and I was able to take the camper off the truck, and got the pallets and blocks under it for stability before the winds kick up again! And when we have a day that it isn't raining or snowing, I can crawl under and install my new gray water tank and get it plumbed in. Then I can add the floor insulation. Hate to take it off, but more snow is coming, and really don't like plowing with the camper on because I can't see to the rear real good. But i will miss the weight in the bed of the truck!;)

Keep up the ideas for the camper projects!!!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
As much as didn't want to I drained the water from the rig. In the next few days I'll put anti-freeze it.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
Nothing in 60+mph winds.

Got that right. Just glad the oak tree that blew
over missed my tc

We havent lost any trees yet, but theres alot of branches on the ground.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
mountainkowboy wrote:
Nothing in 60+mph winds.

Got that right. Just glad the oak tree that blew
over missed my tc
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing in 60+mph winds.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
A little late from last week, But we CAMPED in the camper! In weather that ranged from a low-low of 11F below zero to a high-high of 16F above zero!

Garry in AK
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
mark_ be , that was one long day ! LOL
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

mark_be
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I've done until now: (all at once)

* installing 3 transformers, because we have 230V and the original camper stuff works on 120V. It works great and can use everything (sockets and appliances) at any time - on ac and on generator and I even have the choise of using 120V or 230V as shore voltage - only problem is that the microwave generates less heat on 50Hz than 60, but might be fixed - would have to contact manufacturer for that)
* placing adapters onto the original LP ACME connector, so LP bottles with DIN connector can be used.
* placing 2 28 liter European LP bottles that can be filled at the pump. (automatically stops filling @ 80% = 22 liter = 5.8 gallon) Most European bottles are trade-in bottles and different by country and is not very handy for an RV, if you ask me. European refillable bottles can be filled like US horizontal tanks, so don't have to be removed. (so paid per liter/gal, not per gram/ounce)
* 22 inch LED-TV
* Voltage stabilizer for TV (perfect 12V output with a variable input from 5 to 20 volts or so)
* cable gutter from left to right against the roof at the foot side of the bed to accommodate the cables for TV (12V - coax - av-cable)
* cheap rear view camera - needs to be replaced, because of bad result (what have I saved now...)
* digital thermometer/atomic clock inside + outside sensor + basement sensor
* 2000W pure sine-wave inverter
* 2nd battery
* Surepower battery isolator (camper shop apparently didn't install that)
* Replacing the 120V heating element in the fridge (connected it to 230V by mistake - wanted to go too fast when installing transformers)
* re-installing the 3-way winterizing valve that was connected the wrong way by the manufacturer
* fixed bad electrical connection at right rear running light
* re-caulked the shower wall - had a 1/8 inch gap
* installing a foolproof 120V connection for the engine block heater, placed behind the appliance access door - foolproof because we get 230V inside
* fixing a whole list of things for the truck (by dealer, not by me)
* husky liners in the truck (front, center hump and back)
* navigon carkit for iPhone (called Mio carkit in Europe) - together with a 3.5mm jack to cassette adaptor
* laminated weight and dimensions reminder chart in meters and feet / kilograms and pounds (for bridges and tunnels) and on the back side: translations for potable water and diesel in many languages (who knows where we're going to end)

No sockets were replaced (but do provide 230V now - only sockets under dinette are still 120V), because I wanted to keep the camper as original as possible. We use adapters instead.
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel (DRW Crew cab Long bed)
Sonnax TQ and Sonnax 4R100 rebuild - 6.0 transmission cooler and OTW cooler.

2011 Arctic Fox 992 - 2.5kW propane generator - 315AH Trojan batteries - 2kW pure sine wave inverter - 140Wp solar

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
kerry4951 wrote:
Started to run the wiring for a 2nd (roof mounted) camera. Decided I want to be able to see out front and overhead to keep an eye on "low clearance" issues and tree branches.

Wow, Kerry. Another mod? You are a busy little bee. ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.