cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The batteries killed my Happijac remote

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II

Expensive electronic device ruined by leaking AAs, sigh. I guess I will now be pulling the batteries between uses. Only 6 screws need removal. Are you listening Lippert? Please make the batteries more easily accessible, or use a button cell.

'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Latner
Nomad
Nomad

I've had Duracells leak

I've always used Duracells, but they also leak.  Supposedly Energizer has a โ€œNo Leaks Guaranteeโ€.  Lithiums also won't leak, but they are more money.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad

Mine did that too so I bought a new battery holder and put it in the remote and added a switch to turn off

the power to the controller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192178854320

I kept the old controller, thinking I might harvest the holder and connect it remotely. Only a bit of removable corrosion on the holder.

Latner
Nomad
Nomad

I've had Duracells leak

I've always used Duracells, but they also leak.  Supposedly Energizer has a โ€œNo Leaks Guaranteeโ€.  Lithiums also won't leak, but they are more money.

Not more than a new control, or time spent on the mods I was considering. Lithiums are on order. Thanks for the idea.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

I've recovered many devices after the batteries leaked. Since the batteries are alkaline and not an acid (like in the car) you need to neutralize by using a weak acid. I just sparingly use some q-tips and white vinegar. Hold the device so gravity keeps the mess from flowing deeper into the electronics and dab on some vinegar.  After a few seconds use another q-tip and wipe out the mess. Repeat a few times and hopefully you can save the device.

My thoughts:

Less is more. Just dab the vinegar from the q-tip, you do not have to get things too wet for it to work.

Almost every battery that leaked was a Costco Kirkland AA or AAA so I will never use those anymore. I just buy the Duracells from Costco for a dollar more.
You might have to carefully disassemble the part to do a better cleaning. Just be careful and don't break any solder joints.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

These were Duracells. I used a Dremel wheel to clean the contacts, water and q-tips to clean up the liquid, and finished with a hair dryer. With new batteries, I was able to extend the jack I was working on. When done, the jack would not retract even after resetting things several times. Synced up a new control, and things work again.