cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,300 REPLIES 32,300

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Cutting grass? Dan you must be having a heat wave for the grass to grow? But then snow just the other day. Boy what a climate you live in. The weather can't make up its mind whether to rain, snow, or have Spring.

Yesterday I mowed the lawn for a second time this spring. Sue and I along with Hobo and Suzie will go camping this weekend ay Modoc. My son Scott is coming up with his boat for a day of fishing. I haven't been fishing in a while so it might be fun.

We hope to go to Blakely to visit Robin when we get back from Modoc and then maybe down to the Gulf for some fun in the sun and walking the beaches.

Today I take Hobo to get her nails cut and a check up for her heart condition. She seems to be okay with her meds but just to be on the sage side.

Suzie is doing great. She is such a sweetheart. Yesterday I sat out on the deck with Izzie. I put him up on the table under the umbrella and brushed him. He loves that and is such a ham when he gets some attention. We watched the Blue Birds fly back and forth across the yard. They are such a brilliant blue this year. I have never seen such bright blue colors before. They are busy building nests and raising their young in the houses we provided for them. Then there are the Cardinals. So beautiful with their red feathers. We don't have any Blue Jays however, wonder why?

I have been reading the book Until Tuesday. Yes Dan I have actually been reading it, I am now in chapter ten. It is interesting and holds my attention. Dogs can play such an important role in the lives of the disable. They are amazing in their ability to not only provide service needs to help improve the quality of live, but the love they give is such a blessing. Everyone should have at least one dog in their life that has left a lasting memory of comfort and unconditional love.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning, Yesterday all the snow was gone and it got up to low 70's so I mowed the lawn. Only got stuck once. We are supposed to be in the low 70's today with rain coming in after supper. We are hoping to go camping the last week in April. Due to circumstances beyond our control we have not been able to go yet this year. Planning on meeting Dan and Patty and will stay a few days. Looking forward to October so we can see all the FOOF's. We hope all have a safe week ahead.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. This years Master's was one of the best. It was up for grabs all day Sunday with Garcia finally pulling off the win on the first hold of playoff. At one point Rose had it won then let it skip away. Garcia was determined even after making some mistakes on the back nine that could have cost him the Tournament, he still managed to make a come back and win.

I hope everyone had a blessed weekend. It was very nice weather for us. I am looking forward to this week with very warm temps and nights in the high 50's. When I planned our camping trip for this coming weekend I didn't realize it was Easter. This will be the first Easter Sunday we will miss church in ages. I can't remember when we missed an Easter an Sunday not being in church.

The fur gang is well this morning, just got back form their walk. Lily was over early this morning for a visit. She makes herself at home here, I guess she feels as if this is her second home. She will come over when she wants a treat, let me know she is at the door, I let her in and she goes straight to the bedroom where the treats are kept and waits for me. I give her a treat and then she goes to the front door, says thank you now let me out so I can go home.

The neighbors with the baby goats had a scare the other night when we had a storm came trough. Luckily the babies were on the back porch in kennel crates as the pen in the back yard blew away in the strong winds. They were safe and unharmed as the porch offered them the protection they needed. The children have taken very good care of the babies and they are growing up fast.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not get to watch a whole lot of the Masters, but I did catch the last hour.
Sergio Garcia finally gets his Major Win.
Very happy for him. Everyone expected a lot of wins for him when he first turned pro. But he could never seem to break thru on Sunday. But now it is all in the past. He finally has a Green Jacket.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It is still cold at night but after today we will see a big warm up. The Masters Golf Tournament has really been close. Right now there are a lot of possible winners. Today we will see who gave have nerves of steel and go home with the prize.

There is a car show today in Simpsonville that I am going to for a little while, but will be home in time to see who will win the Masters.

The fur gag is well this morning. I have been giving Hobo two Tramadol tablets at night to help her sleep. It seems to work well for her as she awakes refreshed and ready to go. She falls asleep in the room with us watching TV and that is where she stays until about day light then she comes into the bedroom ready to get the day started.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I guess the snow birds still have some snow on the ground. I sure am glad I live in the Deep South as I would get very tired of the cold and snow some of you experience.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. I have been watching the Masters Golf Tournament on my computer commercial free, They have a website you can watch and select between different events going on so you don't miss anything, Its been interesting so far.

It was 34 degrees this morning and we are expecting a high today in the upper 60's. The fur gang is doing well and Hobo got foiled last night and couldn't get to the cat food.

Suzie is still a puppy at heart. she is so active and playful. She is a joy and I thank God every day for her.

Today I am going to wash the truck and clean up the 72 Lincoln. There is going to be a car show in Simpsonville tomorrow I am planning on attending.

Daughter Allison is bringing over her fur babies Bentley and Hazel for an afternoon visit while they show their house. They want to move to the country so they can have some land they can play farmer. I had enough of that when I was a kid. Dad had three thousand acres with cattle, hogs, horses and chickens. He row cropped cotton, corn and soy bean. The work was 24/7 and then some. If the cattle weren't out something was raiding the hen house. When it would rain the cotton on one side of the road get too much while the corn on the other side would dry up from the lack of it. I enjoyed the hunting as any boy growing up would. There was an abundance of Quail on the farm back then, not so much today as they have all but disappeared.

Wife Sue

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Toolguy5 wrote:

this is what we woke up to this morning. It is still coming down pretty good.

Welcome to Ohio in the spring.

That's what comes from living in snow country. Come on down the weather is better here in the Deep South.

Wish we could ๐Ÿ˜ž
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toolguy5 wrote:

this is what we woke up to this morning. It is still coming down pretty good.

That's what comes from living in snow country. Come on down the weather is better here in the Deep South.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Hobo raided Izzie's food again last night, So we are going to take some drastic measures to stop this.

The Masters yesterday was interesting. I watched it from my computer so I had a ring side seat all day. I did not expect Charley Hoffman to be on top of the leader board this morning.

Izzie was upset this morning because his food was gone. Hobo was just as happy as a Jay bird singing in the sunshine. Suzie was hungry and wanted her food as she danced around the kitchen while I prepared it. Sue just fussed at me for buying so much gas last month asking I limit my traveling and start paying for fuel out of my allowance:(

Okay I need to get moving so I will close by wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II

this is what we woke up to this morning. It is still coming down pretty good. We ended up getting close to 8 inches of snow.

Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good Morning FOOFs

It is only supposed to be 73 degrees here in West Central Florida today. It was 58 this morning. Last week we hit 89 degrees one day and it was in the high 80s all week. Too early for summer.

Our new Motorhome is supposed to be built next Thursday. We are starting to get excited!

I hope everyone has a great day.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, It sounds like you are going to experience some Ohio weather. The high today was around 46 and it id now 39. Weatherman calling for winds upwards of 50+ and maybe up to 3" of snow. Then this weekend it should be highs in the 70's and possibly as high as 80. I need to get the yard cleaned up so I can roll it and mow but the rain doesn't seem to cooperate.
Hope everyone is doing well.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Dr. Doug the Masters golf course can handle heavy rain and the run off very well. They will play today and just now Gary Player and Jack Nicklaus teed off. Arnold Palmer was missing from this traditional event. He will be greatly missed.

Boy did we get hit hard this morning at one O'clock. We had hail, heavy rain and lots of lightening. I really expected to see some damage this morning but when I went outside nothing had been hurt. It is cold here with a very strong wind blowing. Tonight it will be below freezing in the mountains with lows here in the upper 30's. The high today will be 58.

Play at the Masters today will be interesting with the strong winds and some soft greens and fairways. The number one golfer Dustin Johnson fell last night and hurt his back. Reports are he may not be able to play today which would make him forfeit his playing in the tournament.

Wife Sue

dturm
Richard, it looks like you had some real rough weather blow through your area. Hope you're OK. How well does the Augusta golf course handle water? Are they going to be able to play today?
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just watched our travel trailer leave with it's new owner. I really have mixed emotions right now. I am getting excited about our new adventures with the new Motorhome but I was sad to see the trailer go. We have had SO much fun with it the last 6 years. We have taken many trips with our two nieces and those trips alone are priceless. They have gotten older now and don't go with us much anymore. The trailer was almost totally problem free all these years. The new owners are very excited about the trailer. They had a diesel pusher years ago and now want to get back into camping. I hope they have as many years of enjoyment out of it as we have.

It's been a good day as far as RV stuff goes. I got my asking price for the TT so I now have more money for the down payment on the motorhome. My wife called the insurance company today to cancel the insurance on the trailer so I will be getting some money back. She inquired about the insurance for the new motorhome and it's going to be WAY cheaper than I thought it would be. Under $400 every 6 months. Now if only the rest of the work day would go this well.....

I hope everyone has a great day!

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)