cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
32,293 REPLIES 32,293

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
great idea Scottiemom.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
When my Sheltie had knee surgery and had to stay quiet I put her on a leash in the house. Even just dragging it around with no human attached kept her from running.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Scottiemom wrote:
Burch, how is ZuZu doing? Last we heard you were going to be taking her to the vet.

She is a little better. We took her to the vet on Monday and the vet checked her out. He said he could feel her knee moving some but it wasn't severe. He gave her some meds (I think it is an anti-inflammatory med?) and wants to see her back in 4 weeks. He said to try and keep her from running around and jumping. That is very difficult with a 1 year old Pomeranian! She seems to be better as I haven't seen her hop on her good leg in several days. When she is standing, she still holds up the one leg at times but when she walks, she is using both legs. I think being confined in the motorhome this past weekend helped. We are going on a 4 night motorhome trip over labor day weekend so she will be confined for awhile. Hopefully it will heal on its own. It sure hasn't slowed her down! She was mad at me last night because she kept bringing me a toy and I wouldn't play with her so she wouldn't use her leg.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
My Gracie was tiny, about 5 pounds and I always had to me mindful of where I walked. Never stepped on her, but I worried about it. She also slept on my pillow. I still leave that spot unused. She had me trained well! I have thought about another pup, but cant bring myself to actually look for one.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Best wishes for a great getaway, Dan and Patty. You will be missing Pickles for sure, but she is there is spirit.

Burch, how is ZuZu doing? Last we heard you were going to be taking her to the vet.

I have started my trek home to Florida from Northern Indiana. Currently I'm in Charlottesville, Virginia, visiting with my daughter and family. It's been a quick summer seems like, but the heat of Florida is still waiting on me. LOL

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning

We will be heading out Sunday for a week long trip. This will be our first time out with out Pickles. It will be rough. She has traveled with us all over since 2014 when she came to us. She loved to go.

We will be close to home, but it will be sad.

I still look for her around the house. Especially in the mornings when I get up. She always got all of my attention first thing.
This morning when i was making my coffee I was thinking i needed to fill her water bowl.

We love you Pickles.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, looks like ZuZu will be heading back to the vet. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take her until next week. She is still hobbling around with one of her back legs but after she has walked for a bit, she starts using her leg again. She doesn't really seem to be in discomfort. Last night, she kept bringing me a toy and wanted to play but I am trying to make her stay off her feet as much as possible. We will be taking a weekend trip on the motorhome this weekend and she will be more confined so hopefully she will be able to reset her legs until I can get her to the vet early next week. Our work schedules are really busy the next two days and ZuZu sleeps most of the day so hopefully she will not hurt it anymore until the vet visit.

Burch

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
dturm wrote:
Age, breed and history suggests patellar luxation as a possibility.

Medial patellar luxation.

Thank you Dr Doug. This sounds like exactly what she has. I guess another trip to the vet is on the schedule.

dturm
Age, breed and history suggests patellar luxation as a possibility.

Medial patellar luxation.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good Morning FOOFs

I am a little worried about ZuZu. She has been favoring one of her back legs for almost 2 weeks now. When she is standing, she doesn't put any weight on one of her back legs. After she has been laying down for awhile, when she gets up, she starts hopping on only one back leg. Once she has walked around for a couple of minutes, she starts putting weight on the leg and will walk normally. I don't notice it being an issue when she is outside walking in the grass. But when she walks inside on the tile floor, that leg that is bothering her seems to slide outward from her body when she is walking.

At first I thought she might have stepped on something and cut her pad on that foot. I can move her leg around and she doesn't care but sometimes if you rub on the pad of her foot, she will jerk around like it's bothering her. I don't see anything in the pad though. I guess if she doesn't get better by the weekend, she will be going back to the vet. After her scare with the lodged obstruction in her intestines a few weeks ago, I was hoping to avoid more trips to the vet. My wallet is still hurting from all the vet trips 3 weeks ago.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
She is beautiful.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
So beautiful and sweet. So sorry for your loss. RIP Pickles.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II

My little Baby Girl Pickles
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
I miss her waking me up in the morning. I miss her when she is ready to go for her morning walk.
I miss her when she is lurking around when it is time to eat.
I miss seeing her little paw prints in the carpet.

I just miss her. She was my baby girl.
Dan & Patty
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Iam so sorry for the loss of Pickles. It hurts so much to lose a loved one. I had to part with Gracie a year ago and I still miss her. You and I will always have the memories of the good times tho. I know that doesnt help much now, but in the future it will.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE