cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

pasco1215
Explorer
Explorer
:B:B:B

I see a smile from dog ear to dog ear. What a happy face!:W
HAPPY RVing! :W
2007 TIFFIN ALLEGRO BUS "R RV"
2004 Saturn SUV "R VUE"
Our Co-Pilot "PASCO" the pearl white schnauzer

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
What great pictures. I love the fact that Old fellow matches Izzy and Levi. They are all beautiful together. Thanks so much for sharing the photos. Old Fellow really does have a smile on his face. He looks sooooo happy.....Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

AGRNBRTSLOVE
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie, Isn't it funny how life is going along a certain way and then it just takes an unexpected turn? Once again, we are all so happy that you opened your heart to Old Fellow.

RbarL
Explorer
Explorer
Gosh, this story has really grown. I love the updates. What a great ending.
I think Izzie has Old Fellows number already.

Hear's to more years of good times for all your fur kids.

campingaddict
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my goodness... I just found this incredible story/thread and could not stop reading until I got to the end! What a touching and inspiring documentation. Old Fellow is such a sweetheart with the amazing fortune of being found by a very special/caring individual!!!! Best of everything in future days....

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
The pixs aren't coming through ๐Ÿ˜ž

This is such a heartwarming story, it is beyond any tale Disney could have created!

Thank for keeping us posted on the progress.

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
What great pictures is true. It brings a smile to my face and tears to my eyes when I come to this thread. So truly happy to be a part of this story and with the wonderful ending that it had.
Lynn and Mickey
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
What great pictures! The one of Izzie and O.F. made me laugh out loud! Obviously, everyone has the pecking order well in hand.

๐Ÿ™‚

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Richard for allowing all of us to help in some small way. You are a very unique individual and it would appear to me that you have found another "soul-mate". I would bet that everyone who has posted to this thread has been touched in some way they will never forget.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to Needsomefun for posting the pictures. Doesn't Old Fellow look great. He is having the time of his life!

Quick update. Old Fellow's fungus is just about cleared up around his eyes and hair is growing back. His ears are also being covered once again with hair where the fly's had been biting him. His allergy is clearing up with the antibiotics he is receiving and he appetite is really good. He is really turning into a spoiled hound. He is now getting where he wags his tail more often and the expression on his face --- well that is just pure joy.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer

One happy Old Fellow. How could this have turned out any better?

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am still not having success with posting pictures so I just sent Needsomefun pictures from yesterday's homecoming. I know he is a busy man so he will post them the first chance he gets.

Wife Sue

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

It's amazing that you have come up with that idea because I have discussed this same theory with others. I believe that is the reason he hung around the campground waiting on his folks to come back and get him.

I think it is quite likely that this is what happened and moreover, something about you reminded him of his previous owner. Maybe it was your physical appearance or voice, but more likely, he sensed your compassion.

I don't think any of us who've read this "book" will ever look at a stray the same way again...
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA POPPY wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
He acts as if he has always been in this type environment proving once again that in the early part of his life he was use to people and was someone's pet. By the way, he still has not messed up once in the house. He lets me know when he wants to go outside by going to the back door and standing.

He probably even had a kitty friend in a previous life! You know there is a scenario that keeps coming to my mind. Years ago, he might've gone camping with his family and wandered off chasing a rabbit and got himself caught in that trap. When he didn't come back and the family couldn't find him, they may have sadly assumed he'd met with foul play, aka coyote or mountain lion. Poor Old Fellow finally chewed his foot loose from the trap and the rest is history:)

It's amazing that you have come up with that idea because I have discussed this same theory with others. I believe that is the reason he hung around the campground waiting on his folks to come back and get him. I have even asked the people at the campground to go back and check with others who worked there to see if they could come up with something.

Wife Sue

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
He acts as if he has always been in this type environment proving once again that in the early part of his life he was use to people and was someone's pet. By the way, he still has not messed up once in the house. He lets me know when he wants to go outside by going to the back door and standing.

He probably even had a kitty friend in a previous life! You know there is a scenario that keeps coming to my mind. Years ago, he might've gone camping with his family and wandered off chasing a rabbit and got himself caught in that trap. When he didn't come back and the family couldn't find him, they may have sadly assumed he'd met with foul play, aka coyote or mountain lion. Poor Old Fellow finally chewed his foot loose from the trap and the rest is history.

It is amazing that you perceived so much in the eyes and behavior of that old dog. I think when he laid down beside your dog, it really said something, didn't it? Dogs are big on mental telepathy. He did a great job of "sending" and you did an outstanding job of "receiving." The Mrs also deserves praise for her "supporting" role. ๐Ÿ™‚
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background