cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

pasco1215
Explorer
Explorer
whimstock wrote:
Happy's sister, Jeanie, will need a hot date for the rally!

She's a sweetie....not nearly the "tart" that Happy is, either. :B

PASCO has been quietly scoping the possibilities. Old Fella may have some competition. Jeanie is a real cutie!
HAPPY RVing! :W
2007 TIFFIN ALLEGRO BUS "R RV"
2004 Saturn SUV "R VUE"
Our Co-Pilot "PASCO" the pearl white schnauzer

Yanktex
Explorer
Explorer
All the pictures and posts have been great!!! I have really enjoyed reading everything and seeing the pictures of several of the pets. It sure seems to me that there are a lot of darling ladies looking forward to meeting Old Fella and Levi!!! My husband and I are planning to move to Hartselle, AL in the near future, (late fall or early spring)so I do not know if we will be able to join everyone in Bronson, but will sure be looking forward to pictures. Old Fella is looking so good, and so shiny. God bless you!!!

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer ....What at story...I am hooked on it...can't wait for the next installment...

Have any of the readers heard or read this story....

http://rv-living-magazine.com/puppy-size.html
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
OF looks like he's filled out just a bit--he really looks great!!

I especially love the pics where Izzy makes an appearance.

Oh, and Jeanie and Happy are wholesome gals...so any "procedures" will be totally acceptable!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

(....and thanks, Marc!)

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
campingshadow wrote:
...As for Happy and Dixie Dew.....watch out ladies cuz the new YOUNG lady is in town. Heidi can flirt with the best of them....and she is a rescue dog too, so she and Old Fella will have a lot to chew over. She can even talk to him about his heartworms! Just hope she does not get his heart palpatating too hard when he gets a look at her!

Such a little beauty!!!

Happy and Jeanie are pleased to make Heidi's acquaintance!!!
You'd better watch our for Dixie Dew, though....she's serious competition! :B (I think her Mom is one of those "stage mothers," you know.....that bragging kind of woman?!?!?!? ) :R :B

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer

"Dad said Ya'll are planing a party for me with lots of girls. WELL ya'll need to know that while I was in the clinic I think Dad might have made a terrible mistake down there if you catch my drift! Just don't want anybody getting any ideas. Well anyway that Heidi sure is hot, but Happy's got a boat!"

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes....!!!!! I just sat and read 583 messages!!! I should buy stock in Kleenex!!!! Old Fella is one lucky pooch. What a wonderful story. I found myself petting my own dog several times while reading it.

I do want to make a comment about your vet! I think he must be one wonderful man and at his age (70?) he is obviously caring for the animals because he loves them...not for the money.

I have a rescue dog that had to have heartworm treatment, get spayed and get treated for mange. She stayed overnight a total of 5 days. Her vet bill SO FAR is over $900 !!!!! It was almost $500 JUST for the heartworm treatment. For all that your vet has done - the bill normally would have been substantially higher! A friend of mine just had cancer removed from his dogs intestine - the cost so far? $6,000!!!! Dixie, you were incredibly lucky to find such a caring and compassionate vet! My hat's off to him.

BTW...about that heartworm treatment - know that after the first heavy duty treatment your dog will continue to test positive for at least 6 months till they are all gone. Therefore, checking him in a month and expecting a clean bill of health will not be possible. Just make sure that you keep him on the monthly medicine and he should be OK. My dog sailed thru her treatment program with no problems at all.

As for Happy and Dixie Dew.....watch out ladies cuz the new YOUNG lady is in town. Heidi can flirt with the best of them....and she is a rescue dog too, so she and Old Fella will have a lot to chew over. She can even talk to him about his heartworms! Just hope she does not get his heart palpatating too hard when he gets a look at her!

Such a little beauty!!!
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie, I can just imagin the tears swellen. Everytime I read this thread and think about you and Old Fella I get a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. I wish I could just hold,hug,and kiss him. Oh how very lucky he is. So looking forward to hopefully meeting you and him.
Lynn,Mickey.
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chemgoddess1 wrote:
Did he sigh, did he sigh?? I cannot go ANYWHERE without my little brown scruffy shadow. She is just the sweetest thing. I have a feeling you have a velcro dog on your hands. What a sweet gesture. Give him a good scratching from me.

No sigh, just an upward look of those big brown eyes, that was enough for me to start the tears to swell.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
Did he sigh, did he sigh?? I cannot go ANYWHERE without my little brown scruffy shadow. She is just the sweetest thing. I have a feeling you have a velcro dog on your hands. What a sweet gesture. Give him a good scratching from me.

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

Pauls_lady
Explorer
Explorer
Ohhhh, you're killin' me, Dixie. He must be the sweetest thing! (can you just give him a tiny kiss on the top of his nose for me?)

Pamela
Paul & Pamela
ds;20,dd;18,ds;13,ds;12
Lilly Belle & Hachi rescue Akita
Kobai; Rainbow Bridge 6/9/06 Always Loved
'01 Excursion V10
'05 Arctic Fox 27F;2nd year;CA Delta
'99 Taurus SHO
'00 BMW R1100 RT
'07 Expedition LT
'07 Honda Aero Motorcycle - The wife's ride!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well this is a first. OLd Fella just walked up to me as I was sitting at my desk and sat down and put his head in my lap. What was ways he has come since he first came here.

Wife Sue

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
How comforting to know that while it is now raining there in Georgia, Old Fella is enjoying, maybe for the first time in his life, a dry and comfortable home with a family of his own.:) Dixie, thanks again for what you have done for O.F....Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Happy's sister, Jeanie, will need a hot date for the rally!

She's a sweetie....not nearly the "tart" that Happy is, either. :B

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Folks here is a link to the rally for Old Fella. So far we have had a recomendation for ABC campround in Branson. Dixie and I both email them and I have posted there reply on the rally page now we need dates. Please check out the link. there reply is on the bottom of page2 they would love to have us. If anyone has any other ideas please speak up now. I am helping Dixie get this thing going, but If anyone would like to spearhead this. please feel free.
thank you, Lynn,Dixie,and the Star of the show, Old Fella.

Old Fella Rally, (see page 2)
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4