cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Shadow, cute pics!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if these are relatives of Chaos and Happy? They sure look comfy!!!

Getting her beauty sleep!

I really hate doing sit-ups!!!!
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
sue.t wrote:
Ahhhh ... DixieFlyer ... the true indication of how spoiled your pets are ... a blanket on the sofa so animals can lay there! And Old Fella is looking wonderful!

I'm amazed at all these little hussies coming out of the woodwork! Now if they're interested in a slightly larger boy on the paler side, our Chaos might be the fella for them. His girl died last summer and he's a bit on the lonely side ...

What a nice looking fellow!

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were out in the yard just a few minutes ago and for the first time Old Fella responded to his name and came to me when he was called. I asked if he was ready to go inside and he went to the back door and waited for me to come. He got his treat as he follwed me into the kitchen and sat while I got it for him. He is beginning to under stand English!

Wife Sue

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help but cry everytime I read this post. I can't wait to see the post everyday and get progress reports. He's looking so good. Give him a hug for me please.
E.Texan

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, Dixieflyer, Old Fellow is truly a special soul! I think that the tender interactions are his way of saying thanks again for this opportunity! Shoot if this is retirement, I wouldn't of fought ya!!

PS: To all others that posted their pets, they are also awesome pixs!!! keep them coming!

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
Hussies???? Our sweet adorable little dogs? Yeesh! Now Old Fella is a handsome guy.....but that Chaos - he is beautiful and Heidi thinks that her black and his white make a nice contrast......oh....such choices!!!! Lucky dog!
Shadow and LD

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
whimstock wrote:
campingshadow wrote:
Miss Heidi is proud to say that she, too, is a believer in canine population control. She is looking forward to getting to meet other pals and their owners that have the same philosphy. Looks like we could end up with several canine romances blossoming at the rally.....what fun!!!!

Barbara...Happy is a real cutie! What an adorable face! Guess you know we will have to have a dog beauty contest at the rally!!!! The trick will be finding an impartial judge!

I figure if there are 20 dogs, there will be 20 "impartial judges." Unless of course, since some of us have more than one...that might cut the number of impartial judges down some. :B

Talent contest?!?!?!?

Best talent: "looking" angelic! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Barbara, those two are a couple of cuties. What a pair of book-ends I love Beagles. We had a Beagle/Doxie mix, her name was Bridget. What a sweet heart she was. She thought she was a cat and tried to claim our cats kittens as her own...still makes me smile.:) Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

tandemsuit
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! He's beautiful!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhhh ... DixieFlyer ... the true indication of how spoiled your pets are ... a blanket on the sofa so animals can lay there! And Old Fella is looking wonderful!

I'm amazed at all these little hussies coming out of the woodwork! Now if they're interested in a slightly larger boy on the paler side, our Chaos might be the fella for them. His girl died last summer and he's a bit on the lonely side ...
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Kim_s_Caboose
Explorer
Explorer
Add my two dogs to the contest! My male (Rusty) would be in the senior citizens category since he's 16.5. The female (Cappi) wants to be in the contest for Old Fella's girlfriend.

Kim
Kim with DOTL Minpins, Spc. Rusty and Spc. Cappi
2005 Ford F250 Lariat, PSD, FX4, Crew Cab, Reese 16K slider
2004 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T, twin Honda EU2000i
Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
If there are ONLY 20 dogs I will be surprised. And I was thinking of someone to judge that has no affiliation with our group. Might be the safest way!!! lol Like maybe a park employee. Or a nearby camper that does not have dogs.

Have to avoid all possibilities of judical bribery, doncha know??? :B :B :B
Shadow and LD

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
campingshadow wrote:
Miss Heidi is proud to say that she, too, is a believer in canine population control. She is looking forward to getting to meet other pals and their owners that have the same philosphy. Looks like we could end up with several canine romances blossoming at the rally.....what fun!!!!

Barbara...Happy is a real cutie! What an adorable face! Guess you know we will have to have a dog beauty contest at the rally!!!! The trick will be finding an impartial judge!

I figure if there are 20 dogs, there will be 20 "impartial judges." Unless of course, since some of us have more than one...that might cut the number of impartial judges down some. :B

Talent contest?!?!?!?

Best talent: "looking" angelic! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer

Sharon....I love Pokey....since you would not let me have him (you know I sure tried!)...I had to get one of my own. I now have one that snuggles as much as Pokey!!!!! Give him a hug for me!!!!
Shadow and LD

RbarL
Explorer
Explorer
butterfly girl wrote:
Dixie Flyer ....What at story...I am hooked on it...can't wait for the next installment...

Have any of the readers heard or read this story....

http://rv-living-magazine.com/puppy-size.html

Be sure you have Kleenex for this story too. Thanks for sharing.