cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

RbarL
Explorer
Explorer
DixieFlyer - I got a great thrill this morning reading your post about Disney and seeing the before and after pics. He sure has gotten a new lease on life and looks great. Have a great time on your trip.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
sue.t wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
The first post to this thread.

Ya know, I was just thinking back to the very first post. That first post was made on Sept 5, 2005. Saturday will be the 2 month anniversary!!!

We need to do something to celebrate, yes?

Old Fella is going to have a party and everyone is invited to join us at Disney's Fort Wilderness. We will be leaving Sunday morning for five days with Mickey and the gang. He is looking forward to the Chip and Dale show at the campground. Fella says "hello to everyone and thank you so much for the all the help". He also says "I am well now and feeling so much better." It is great to have him around, he is such a joy to us.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
MrsSoCalToolGuy wrote:
Buz2b wrote:
In deference to DOTLDaddy, I've cut some of the quote boxes! :B
MrsSoCalToolGuy wrote:

Buzz, Wow our stories do sound alike. We had two kitties until two weeks ago. We lost Tillie the week before last, at the age of 19 1/2. Our last living fur kids name is Callie. She is about 16 or 17. We hope she makes it until next year. We had 7 cats in the last 20 years, all of them lived past the age of 17 years.. I wonder if Callie can join the rescue group at the rally. She was a rescue back in 1991. We brought her and her litter of 4 kittens home from an rv storage yard where she lived under a boat. Callie would look beautiful in one of those bandanas. We are looking forward to meeting Pita and her people...Barb
(Background sounds of the Theme from Twighlight Zone playing here).....
Well, the ironies just keep on flowing Barb. I hope the other folks will pardon us for a moment here. We had two "kitties" until October of last year when we lost our Ming Toy (Siamese) who was a young 18 1/2. Pita is a mere kitten of 12 but has a medical condition that we treat twice a day. We're counting on her making the trip and have even had her inducted into the DOTL. Have you checked into that? From what I understand she will be proudly wearing the bandana next June. PM DOTLDaddy and nifty250 for further details.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming..........!

Buzz
Oh boy, this may confuse DoltDaddy, all the (quotes) I mean, sorry Walter, but Buzz are you treating Pita for diabetes? Callie is diabetic and gets insulin twice a day...Did you say you will be at the rally? Gosh, June is a long ways away. I am really looking forward to this. So tell me where or what page I can order a scarf for Callie. I am trying to be obtimistic... There are so many pages on OF and the rally, that I am starting to get lost:?...Barb

Okay now LOOK.... Maybe he forgot the instructions to get into the DOTL... but calling the man a "dolt"?????????? That is JUST not called for! :B :B
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

Ya know, I was just thinking back to the very first post. That first post was made on Sept 5, 2005. Saturday will be the 2 month anniversary!!!

We need to do something to celebrate, yes?
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Buz2b wrote:
DOTLDaddy wrote:
Ya see! I can do quote quote quotes too!! :C

Can anybody tell Barb how ta get Callie into the DOTL? I've kinda forgotten . . . . :W

Don't worry DOTLDaddy, we had all the confidence in the world in ya! :B
Barb,
So as not to distract from this thread any, I'll PM you with details on Pita.
As for what DOTLDaddy asked:
You can read all about the DOTL on this thread. Then, you can read about the rally on this thread.
From there, you will want to contact both DOTLDaddy and mistressofdistress (via PM) about having your kitty join the DOTL. You can also PM ynno62 for rally info. From what I understand, there are some very strict requirements and conditions that must be met in order to join this elite group. However, I have it on good authority that the nice folks on this forum and in particular those with an interest in Old Fella are given preference since they already show the "right stuff" that is needed to assist in this adventure. :W If I made any mistakes or misrepresented anything, I'm sure they'll help me out here.
What he said! :W

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Buz2b
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:

Can anybody tell Barb how ta get Callie into the DOTL? I've kinda forgotten . . . . :W

Don't worry DOTLDaddy, we had all the confidence in the world in ya! :B
Barb,
So as not to distract from this thread any, I'll PM you with details on Pita.
As for what DOTLDaddy asked:
You can read all about the DOTL on this thread. Then, you can read about the rally on this thread.
From there, you will want to contact both DOTLDaddy and mistressofdistress (via PM) about having your kitty join the DOTL. You can also PM ynno62 for rally info. From what I understand, there are some very strict requirements and conditions that must be met in order to join this elite group. However, I have it on good authority that the nice folks on this forum and in particular those with an interest in Old Fella are given preference since they already show the "right stuff" that is needed to assist in this adventure. :W If I made any mistakes or misrepresented anything, I'm sure they'll help me out here.
2005 F-150, Factory Tow Package
2006 Keystone Z271 Zeppelin II
Bill, Pixie, Honeybun the rescue and our DOTL cat Pita

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
MrsSoCalToolGuy wrote:
Buz2b wrote:
MrsSoCalToolGuy wrote:

Buzz, Wow our stories do sound alike. We had two kitties until two weeks ago. We lost Tillie the week before last, at the age of 19 1/2. Our last living fur kids name is Callie. She is about 16 or 17. We hope she makes it until next year. We had 7 cats in the last 20 years, all of them lived past the age of 17 years.. I wonder if Callie can join the rescue group at the rally. She was a rescue back in 1991. We brought her and her litter of 4 kittens home from an rv storage yard where she lived under a boat. Callie would look beautiful in one of those bandanas. We are looking forward to meeting Pita and her people...Barb
Well, the ironies just keep on flowing Barb. I hope the other folks will pardon us for a moment here. We had two "kitties" until October of last year when we lost our Ming Toy (Siamese) who was a young 18 1/2. Pita is a mere kitten of 12 but has a medical condition that we treat twice a day. We're counting on her making the trip and have even had her inducted into the DOTL. Have you checked into that? From what I understand she will be proudly wearing the bandana next June. PM DOTLDaddy and nifty250 for further details.

Buzz
Oh boy, this may confuse DoltDaddy, all the (quotes) I mean, sorry Walter, but Buzz are you treating Pita for diabetes? Callie is diabetic and gets insulin twice a day...Did you say you will be at the rally? Gosh, June is a long ways away. I am really looking forward to this. So tell me where or what page I can order a scarf for Callie. I am trying to be obtimistic... There are so many pages on OF and the rally, that I am starting to get lost:?...Barb

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Buz2b wrote:
MrsSoCalToolGuy wrote:

Buzz
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

Buz2b
Explorer
Explorer
MrsSoCalToolGuy wrote:

Well, the ironies just keep on flowing Barb. I hope the other folks will pardon us for a moment here. We had two "kitties" until October of last year when we lost our Ming Toy (Siamese) who was a young 18 1/2. Pita is a mere kitten of 12 but has a medical condition that we treat twice a day. We're counting on her making the trip and have even had her inducted into the DOTL. Have you checked into that? From what I understand she will be proudly wearing the bandana next June. PM DOTLDaddy and mistressofdistress for further details.
2005 F-150, Factory Tow Package
2006 Keystone Z271 Zeppelin II
Bill, Pixie, Honeybun the rescue and our DOTL cat Pita

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.

The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. He eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by after noon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.

So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

Campground picture September 2, 2005

Now his is going to Disney!!!

Look at him now!!

Wife Sue

AZFamily
Explorer
Explorer
Just like the commercial -

You survived heartworms and certain death as a stray....
Where are you going now, Old Fella? I'm going to Disneyland!

Old Fella looks amazing!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We leave Sunday November 6th going to Disney in Florida. We will be staying at Fort Wilderness with Old Fella and Levi. Since Izzie doesn't travel he will be going to the cat jail {Kennel}. We will be coming home November 11th. Old Fella continues doing well, my how he loves his tummy rubs. He has gained some weight, I don't know just how much but I would guess at least 8 pounds. When we get back I will post some pictures and tell you how well he did.

Wife Sue

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to ponder.....there is a website that is called cafepress that will take a design and put it onto all sorts of items, and then sell them. You may want to think of something like this for the rally, maybe the "old" picture on the front and the "new improved" picture on the back? This is what the Ohio Rally group has done. Kind of a neat idea.

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
These quoting boxes are getting a little confusing . . . . :?

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
sue.t wrote:
Buz2b wrote:
MrsSoCalToolGuy wrote:
Maybe we can get our old cats to start a "Feline Fans of Old Fella" club. LOL!

FFOOFs! Gotta like it!

Izzie says he would join.

Wife Sue