cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Great, glad all had a good time except for the colds. Ole Fella may never get over thinking he's not going to be left, but I know you wish you could make him understand he never will. I've sure missed ya'll. Welcome back.
E.Texan

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
we are back and everyone had a great time. Old Fella acted kind of funny when we first got there as if to ask, "Is this my new home"? He was going to make darn sure we didn't leave him so he kept close watch on us all the time. When it was time to leave he was watching us with that question mark on his face as if we might just leave him for sure. When we got home he just loved on me and kissed me all over the face. What a dog! There is no doubt in my mind that Old Fella has had obedience training and it is all coming back to him now. He has learned to come get me when he wants something and I have learned his gestures as to what he wants. We are both catching on fast.

After the fast note here is what went on.

Okay here is the run down of the Disney trip.
We arrived on Sunday afternoon and set up camp. Sue and I both were sick with colds that settled in our throats, hacking and coughing, hacking and coughing, still hacking and coughing. Levi and Fella had a ball with all the dog walks in the area. Fella has gained a few more pounds and I will need to cut back what he is eating. This morning was a first for Fella, he came into our bedroom and started making grunting noises, saying "get up, get up! It's time to get going!" He knew we were headed home because I told him so Thursday night. He is such a joy to have around as he begins to learn how to express himself so that we know what he wants.

He enjoyed his walks around in the dog runs as he got to sniff all the different scents in the area. He is such a joy to have around as I watch him get more settled into his family. Anyway Fella sends you his best and is looking forward to the rally in Branson.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

DIXIESMAMA
Explorer
Explorer
If someone was to try to claim him other than Richard and Sue, there will be several hundred angry 'foster moms and dads' they will have to deal with. I don't see how anyone could claim him and take custody of him after he has been neglected so many years.

I sure hope OF's family had a grand ol' time at Disney.

DIXIESMAMA

Mokie_s_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the Friends of Ole Fella webpages:

My vote is for either 1 or 3 - both look about the same.

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
leftnoright wrote:
IF a book gets published and IF some fool does come forward to try and claim OF, guess what? Then we would ALL come forward to claim OF. Let them try & unravel that mess!

:B:B Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
As we covered earlier in the thread, a dog is "property." At best OF comes under the heading of abandoned property, at worst might be covered under animal abandonment or abuse laws. Plaintiff would have to prove his case which is another strike against him, and would also have to pay the expenses of taking the depositions of campers, campground hosts who witnessed OF living on his own etc. Too much cost, too little gain for a Plaintiff's lawyer.

And regardless of ownership of OF, book proceeds are a separate issue anyway.

I think OF is pretty safe. And if trouble spouts, well hey, we'll hope Richard lets us know and we'll just have to start an OF Defense Fund! ๐Ÿ™‚
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
Lynn,
The webpages are great, did you design them?

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
leftnoright wrote:
IF a book gets published and IF some fool does come forward to try and claim OF, guess what? Then we would ALL come forward to claim OF. Let them try & unravel that mess!

Lynn,
I used to have the same fears when we adopted Axel. He was so attached to a male (he bonded with DH very quickly, he used to actually still does, just stare at DH). I would think the poor thing was heartbroken. So many people would comment on how beautiful he is (and well behaved someone invested alot of training into my old guy). I was afraid that his former human would show up and demand him back (and worse even Axel would want to go back).

As Linda stated, if anyone tried to mess with Old Fella, the thread would stand by Richard and his family. We stick together!

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I just worry to much but I know it would break my heart to see it happen. Much less anyone elses. Thanks for reasuring me.
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

leftnoright
Explorer
Explorer
Linda(poster)
Fred (the innocent husband)
Jordan (Shih-Poo Rescue)
Mitzi (Pom now with Rainbow Division)

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
lynno62 wrote:
:B I heard from Richard this morning all is well. They have all been sick since the left home with colds, but Old Fella and Levi are doing good. Richard says that you can tell that Old Fella was someones pet at one time. They will be home on Sat. the 12 and then you can hear about the trip from them.
Now this is JMHO but I hope when the book does come out who ever had Old Fella never buys the book or at least does not come forward to try and claim him. Old Fella has such a loving home that I do not know of anyone who could do better. I just have to say God Bless Richard his Faimly and Old Fella.
thank you.

In NYS it is abandonment which I think is felony not even a misdemeanor (not sure on that part). But it is posted by shelters, rescues, etc. They would not have a leg or paw to stand on.

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Code2High wrote:
Thanks for the update, Lynn! I think if someone wanted to "claim" Old Fella they would have ah.... very little legal leg to stand on so to speak. He was on his own for what, a couple years?

Besides that they would have to prove it.
Although it wouldn't surprize me at all if someone tried to claim him latter on (after the book comes out). Nope, Old Fella is Richard's dog and I don't think anyone of us will dispute that.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Luizianna
Explorer
Explorer
Nahh...I think whoever had him...didn't or couldn't keep him any longer and dropped him off at the cg or state park, thinking someone would find him and fall in love with him and take him home with them...they just didn't think it would take years!! JMHO
Virgil, Linda & Katie, The Pampered Poodle
05 30` Cardinal LE
www.cardinalrvclub.org

SOME PEOPLE THINK THERE IS A REWARD FOR FINDING FAULT

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update, Lynn! I think if someone wanted to "claim" Old Fella they would have ah.... very little legal leg to stand on so to speak. He was on his own for what, a couple years?
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
:B I heard from Richard this morning all is well. They have all been sick since the left home with colds, but Old Fella and Levi are doing good. Richard says that you can tell that Old Fella was someones pet at one time. They will be home on Sat. the 12 and then you can hear about the trip from them.
Now this is JMHO but I hope when the book does come out who ever had Old Fella never buys the book or at least does not come forward to try and claim him. Old Fella has such a loving home that I do not know of anyone who could do better. I just have to say God Bless Richard his Faimly and Old Fella.
thank you.
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4