cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I found your post very moving.

It's been a long time since "Dixie," came here to see if we thought he should try to capture the old stray dog.

What a wonderful year for him and you, and for us--a long, rewarding, heart warming journey for everyone concerned.

Barbara

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi. We just got back from a very wet camping trip. But Old Fella had the time of his life. Gerald and Bonnie were there to greet Old Fella and tell how Bonnie would fix breakfast for him. If he showed up at super time she would always throw something extra in the pot for him. There were others , sorry I did not get their names but they all had something to say about how Old Fella had touched their hearts. There was even an effort by some to catch him but he would always slip away.

He was excited when we first got there and started barking when we pulled in at the gate house. Then once we set up camp we took Fella for a walk. When we got to the beach area he wanted to go down to the water. I took a chance and took him off the leash. He looked at me with that puzzled look on his face, it was if he thought I was setting him free. He stood by my side and didn't move until I started toward the water. He then decided it was alright so he went in and began lapping it up. He then laid down in the water and just looked for the longest time at all of the scenery. When he had enough he came out and stood by my side as if to say "Lets go."

Later that day we went to the playground where he would hang out and sleep under the slide. Once again I took him off the leash and let him do whatever he wanted. Once again I got that look of, "Okay what's going on." He was a bit uneasy off the leash until he decided I wasn't going to leave him. Then he began to sniff around, but never going too far from me.

I decided at that point he was not going to leave under any circumstances so I would allow him to be off the leash more and more. At the campsite I found out he didn't need the rope on him as he wasn't interested in going anywhere without me.

One of his old girlfriends showed up with her folks and they had the best time together. Once Fella was sure he was not going to be left behind he enjoyed his return to his old home place. Not once during our stay did I ever get the feeling that Fella would prefer to stay without us. Sue and I could sense that Fella enjoyed himself being in familiar surroundings, but he let us know that he wasn't going to stay on his own.

I will post pictures in a little while once I get some chores done for everyone to see.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
This thread was at the bottom of the page and since I don't think it ever went to page 2, I couldn't let that happen now. Consider this a "bump"!
jana
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
Take care Carl! Hope you can get some camping in before you're laid up. If there's any way you can make it to the Old Fella Rally, we'll be glad to help you get around.

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi There,
I too wish I was able to go camping this summer not to mention the Old Fella Rally. I just hope to be walking by the end of June. Don't know if I told anyone, my operation is set for May 8, 2006. If all goes as planed I should be in the hospital for about a week, then I will be moved to a rehab hospital. I will be there for no longer then 3 weeks. So I should be home by June 8th. Anyway, getting things ready and we are going to try to get a camping trip in next weekend. I will keep in touch with you guys. have a great weekend.

Carl
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
minkhill wrote:
Old Fella is beautiful!! and looks so happy!!
You will have to post lots of pics from the O.F. Rally. I'm sorry that we won't be able to go, but in seeing the RV.net folks that are registered to be there, I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!
Karen

I am sure you will be able to see pictures as well as hearing from the rally. It looks as if it is going to be a very good time for all. June is getting here so fast it will be here before you know it!

Wife Sue

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I wish we were going to the Old Fella's rally, but we already made plans. Keep up with the pictures, I really enjoy them. You have one nice looking family, including your fur babies.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

minkhill
Explorer
Explorer
Old Fella is beautiful!! and looks so happy!!
You will have to post lots of pics from the O.F. Rally. I'm sorry that we won't be able to go, but in seeing the RV.net folks that are registered to be there, I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!
Karen
Barry & Karen
2004 F350 Powerstroke
2006 30TS Cardinal

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Carl. I hope all is well with you. Old Fella looks younger in his pictures than he actually is. His shiny coat and the good care he has received has made him look a lot younger in some respects. But when you take the mathematics and put it all together you come up with a more accurate age. Nina and Wally had been living at Modoc for three years when Fella was rescued. However Folks around Modoc now put Fella being there for at least five years. Dr. Gradous put his age at 10 - 11 years old when he had him under his care. He determined this by blood work and the years of experience he has working as a veterinarian.

Now suppose Fella had been abandon when he was three or four years old, the five years he spent hanging around Modoc would put him at 8 - 9 years old at least. You really can't go by the teeth because of the damage that was done to them gnawing his way out of the steel trap. He has no front teeth except for one canine tooth up top and the bottom canine teeth that are broken and worn down to the root canal. So I guess his real age is a mystery but I still put him at being 11-12 years old.

I believe his strength today comes from the fact that he did have a hard life all those years and he is a fighter. I saw that the night he almost died from the heart worm treatment. But today he has more reason to live than he has had in a long time. I have never seen a more content animal in my life. He has found the love of his life in our family and he shows it every day.

At night he waits for me to come through the family room where he is lying on his bed and say, "Lets go to bed". That is his cue to go to the bedroom and get on his bed next to ours. Yes he has two beds one in the family room and one in our bedroom and if he wanted two more for other rooms of the house I would get them for him, all he has to do is ask.

He so looks forward to the walks in the morning he just hangs on every movement Sue and I make that just might mean we are ready to go. If we don't go in a timely fashion he will remind his by barking and body language it is time to go. It really doesn't matter about his age to us as we have grown to love him as if he has always been with us. You see we too have found the love of our lives in him. Don't get me wrong as I still put family above animals but he is so close to being in that same category. I have had many pets in my life, but none will ever equal Old Fella. He is special and always will be.

Wife Sue

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

Sue is an up and coming photographer!

Richard,
Please don't get mad at me, because I have said this before. You have about a 5 year old pup there. He is looking way to cooooooool and good for be any older then that. He sure seems to be in love with you. I had someone tell me that to see if you dog is loyal, take the lead off of them and see if the stay near by. You have a friend for life and I think Fella knows it too.

Carl
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

CockerDodger
Explorer
Explorer
Can't wait to meet Old Fella, and those are great pictures! It may be my imagination, but Old Fella looks like he might have lost some weight. He sure looks alert and healthy. The weather must be beautiful right now where you live, those flowers are also beautiful.
chuck
Nothing smells sweeter than puppy breath! But, I could do without those 5 A.M. walks.
Chuck and Linda Good Sam Lifetimers

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
TTBeachBum wrote:
Awesome pixs Richard. Isn't amazing how someone could have left behind such a gem as O.F. Give him a hug from Long Island, please.

As publicity about Old Fella becomes more nation wide I fully expect someone to come forward and say he was their dog and that he got left behind because they could not find him and presumed he had met some foul play. The leg hold trap must have held him captive at least four to five days according to people I have talked to with experience in those matters.

Not that they would have a claim on him now, but I would like the information to explain how he came to be abandon and more about his former life. The more I live with him the more I am convienced that at one time he lived in a loving home. He adapted so quickly to our home. Being house broke, to sit on command, to stay when told and to heel without a leash all points to previous training. If only he could talk!!!

Wife Sue

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome pixs Richard. Isn't amazing how someone could have left behind such a gem as O.F. Give him a hug from Long Island, please.

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
Richard - What beautiful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!! We are ALL looking forward to meeting you and your family SOON. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Sue is an up and coming photographer!

Wife Sue