cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

sisodals
Explorer
Explorer
Richard,

I am convinced and truly believe he did as our did when we made that extrememly hard decision for them. I believe they know it is time for them to go to a better place to await their inevitable reunion with us at the Rainbow Bridge and then we will be together with them forever again, and they will be young happy and healthy again.
Helen & Ray Siso
sisodals@bellatlantic.net

Bounder 38N
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Brake Buddy

Rally's attended: 16 (Four Bounder, 5 FMCA and 7 Samborees)

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was sitting here thinking just a week ago I was laying on the floor rubbing Levi's tummy, hips and back watching him close his eyes and enjoy the attention he was getting. I knew he was in trouble but expected it to be something like a urine track infection or someting that was going to be okay. Little did I realize just how much trouble he was in. We fixed his bed in the bathroom next to our bedroom so his bleeding would not get on the carpet during the night. He didn't like being in there by himself but he accepted it and went to sleep without any problems. He often would sleep in there anyway because the tile floor was cooler and he liked that.

Wednesday morning when the door was opened he was ready to go outside with Fella and Suzie, still ready to go and be a part of the crowd. I still didn't realize what was happening with him. After breakfast I got dressed and was at Dr. Jim's by eight O'clock. Levi would never come back home.

I have oftened wondered what his last thoughts were? I know he wanted to go home when I went back to see him after Dr. Jim called and told us the sad news. He was happy to see me as he was brought into the room and I saw him for the last time. He just went to sleep laying on the table as I held him telling him how much I loved him.

I hope he understood....

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Rich... sorry seems such an inadequate thing to say at this point. Levi seemed like such a sweet sweet boy, though I never met him in person. I hope you're feeling a bit better. It is always a tough road back from a loss like this, but you've done it before. Take care of yourselves.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA POPPY wrote:
We are just back from a family emergency, and I was shocked to hear that Levi had passed. The thing that strikes me most was Levi's quiet acceptance of his new friend, a scraggly old stray with a lame foot, at that campground. I have a feeling his reaction was a key element in, "The rest of the story." Bless his little heart.
Judy

Levi was one of those souls that exemplifies what real love is all about.He never met an animal or person he didn't like, truly accepting whatever came his way and loving every minute of it.He will always be remembered by this family as an angel disguised as a dog that visited us for a while, left his paw prints in our hearts and then went back to heaven.

Wife Sue

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
We are just back from a family emergency, and I was shocked to hear that Levi had passed. The thing that strikes me most was Levi's quiet acceptance of his new friend, a scraggly old stray with a lame foot, at that campground. I have a feeling his reaction was a key element in, "The rest of the story." Bless his little heart.
Judy
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
To think that 1 little red puppy who bit you has found such a loving home!
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Puppy love is one thing that keeps us young and cheerful as we experience the mischievous antics 0f one little red dog that came to live with us a little over a year ago as a throw away stray left by a dumpster on the side of the road. One man's trash has become another's treasure.

I can relate to that having the other red puppy that loves to keep us guessing. You can tell they were litter mates.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today has been a better day concerning the kidney stone. It's not as painful but feels as if someone has beaten the tar out of me. The weather here is awesome. Eighty degrees outside with a slight breeze blowing. Sue took Fella and Suzie for a walk while I was at the doctors in Augusta this morning. Fella is developing a limp in his right front paw. It looks normal and not swollen, just maybe its old age creeping in.

Suzie is her young self, looking for something to chew on or drag out. She walks through the living room looking at the chair of fresh washed clothes waiting to be folded and put away. She looks with one eye on the clothes and the other eye on the door to see if someone is watching. She carefully noses through the pile of clothes and finds the right one, pulls it out and runs to the bedroom and hops up on the bed and starts to nip and chew.

It's about that time Sue comes into the room and says, "suzie" with a drawl, "What have you got?" Suzie lays on her side with one rear leg up in the air and says to herself "Been caught." With the above mentioned posture she maintains her innocents and plays dead thinking she really won't hurt me if I act very, very, submissive. So she puts on the sad, sorrowful face raising the rear leg even higher to show her total regret for having snatched a garment.

Puppy love is one thing that keeps us young and cheerful as we experience the mischievous antics 0f one little red dog that came to live with us a little over a year ago as a throw away stray left by a dumpster on the side of the road. One man's trash has become another's treasure.

Wife Sue

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry to hear about Levi. My kids that are only 7, 8, and 10 have lost some precious friends that will be sure to welcome Levi to Rainbow Bridge.

I lost a cat when I became pregnant with my oldest daughter. I took the cat to the vet thinking it was just an absess. The vet thought so too and opened the site to drain. It didn't drain and was more a solid substance. A week later, he decided that it was cancer and nothing could be done. She seemed to know I was pregnant before I even knew it myself and wanted to pat my stomach (something she had never done before).

We lost our American Eskimo named Lady at 11 years of age 5 years ago in September. She went camping for the weekend and seemed normal, but then we took her to the vet on Wednesday and put her to sleep on Thursday. Her kidneys had failed and nothing could be done.

We got a replacement pup named Snowball in November and the pup came up missing the first part of December when someone stole her off the front porch. We found her lying on the exit ramp for the interstate where someone had placed the body after using a 2X4 on her head. How do you explain this kind of horrible treatment to young children? We couldn't.

We got the sister to Snowball named Lady V in January. My husband accidently hit her with the truck in March. I took her to the vet and they thought she might make it. Sent her home for a couple of days. She had a specific routine that she followed with the kids and husband. Her last day, she refused to stay in the kennel. Wanted out to say bye to husband when he went to work. Said bye to kids as they went to school. Eagerly waited at door for them to return at 3:30pm. At about 5:00, she wanted into kennel and layed down and just gave up. The injuries to her stomach could not be treated and the skin was dying. We have always felt that she came home to go through her routine one more time so that she could say "goodbye" to everyone and bid "adieu" to her buddy Sandy the cat who is now 11.

We've had a couple of scares since then. The first was with Ginger who just turned 4. She was accidently hit by the mailman's car 2 years ago. She broke her hip in 4 places. We were lucky and she healed. She spends a lot of time with the kids but is definitely my husband's dog.

The last was the end of August with our 3 year old American Eskimo named Sugar. I had taken her in for shots on Wednesday. She became very lethargic and by the time we dropped her off Friday for the Labor Day weekend for boarding, she wasn't eating and just laid around. The vet did a blood test on Saturday night and discovered her blood count was only 11. Normal is high 30's. We were lucky - she now has a normal blood count but for a couple of weeks it was touch and go. We will have to be very diligent and watch for any change in her behavior for the rest of her life and be extremely careful that she doesn't get fleas. We have pretty much determined that a flea allergy was the source of the disease. She will always be susceptible to another round of AIHA. Other than rabies vaccine which is required, I am debating ever vaccinating her again as that can also cause a recurrance.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sue and I just got back from Augusta from seeing my doctor. The kidney stone got really bad so Sue took me in. He sent me to the hospital to have a catscan so tomorrow I will go see another doctor about breaking up this one lodged in the kidney.

Things are getting better here at home. We still miss Levi and will for a long time to come. Sue and I were exchanging memories tonight on the way home. She and I shared different memories of him as we saw his very special life and character. Okay, I'm tired and need some rest from today's events. Talk with you later.

Wife Sue

maltese-lover2
Explorer
Explorer
Richard,

So sorry about Levi. I can't express in words how his passing has affected me. It has been a while since I've been on because of our move to Colorado. Again, through my tears, I am so sorry. God bless you and your family for being the kind people that you are.
Scott, Gigi + 7 maltese
2005 Safari Cheetah

lightkeeper
Explorer
Explorer
"Rambo" was a stray and probably the most lovable pet I've ever had. I think he was more appreciative of the care, love and companionship he received. He enjoyed camping or was it just being near anywhere we were? This "old fella" is now gone but certainly not forgotten.
(Photo on "Rainbow Bridge" post.
2003 Starcraft TravelStar 21RB hybrid
2007 Chevrolet Z71 2WD Avalanche

"If I Die While Camping, I'm Already Halfway To Heaven!"

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always been a camera bug and love taking pictures. I opened a Portrait Studio here in Waynesboro in 1980 and for fifteen years I did wedding photography along with family portraits. I did school photography from 1980-1983 and that was about the end of me as I was the only photographer and the one taking care of the processing and getting the pictures back to the schools.. My work day was from can to canโ€™t.

Anyway I said all of that to say this, I know how important memories are and pictures say it very well. The memories Sue and I have over the years are kept in our many photo albums. The only thing is I am not in too many of these pictures because I am the one behind the lens looking out. But that is just as well, somebody has to do it so it might as well be me. I have many pictures that were taken before CDโ€™s were available and digital cameras were on the market so maybe I will take the negatives and make some CDโ€™s from them so I can put them on the computer.

I am watching Suzie as she nips the sheet covering the couch looking at me to say something. Fella is on the floor behind me waiting on me to get dressed so we can go for a walk. Sue was telling me a while ago she missed Leviโ€™s nose under her bathroom door sniffing, but afraid to go in because he might miss getting into the bathroom with me while I take my shower. These animals are funny and yet so attached to us that they become an integral part of our lives. Is it any wonder we grieve for them just as we do our human relations when they pass? They are so dependant on us and so accepting of whatever life we make for them.

My dad had bird dogs most of his life. They were working dogs and not treated as family, yet they were happy and content with their place in life and very well cared for. I remember one dog name Bob, and English Setter. He was dadโ€™s favorite hunting dog and lived a long time, about fourteen years. I was just a kid and I would go to the pen and let Bob out and we would play all afternoon. He and I became the best of friends. Then one day Dad asked me to go hunting with him, I was so excited. I believe I was about ten years old. Dad gave me an empty 410 single shot shotgun to carry so he cold teach me the fundamentals of safe hunting before I was allowed to have ammunition. By the time I was twelve I had become a very good marksman. One Christmas dad gave me a sweet sixteen Remington shotgun and took me hunting that afternoon. I was hooked from then on. Dad had a farm south of Waynesboro that was 2,800 acres. He always planned his crops so the Bob White Quail would have food and then he would also plant food parlors in selected areas just for them. It was nothing to find twenty coveys in a single afternoonโ€™s hunting.

It was marvelous to watch the well trained bird dogs do their stuff. One thing dad taught me was to always give wild life a sporting chance and never hunt the single birds down to the last one. That way they would come back together and raise other birds for the next yearโ€™s hunting season.

When I grew up {thatโ€™s a relative term} I raised bird dogs and fell in love with the Brittany Spaniel and was laughed at when I got my first one. Spot became a family member as well as a hunting dog and he was the best bird dog I ever had and demanded respect among his peers. I had never seen such a loyal hunting dog in my life. Once I was hunting along a swollen creek after many days of rain. Spot had pointed a covey next to the creek and as the covey rose to the air I swung on a bird and fired. The bird fell into the creek and Spot went in after it. There was a bend in the creek where the swift water had undercut the bank and the bird went in at that point. Spot was swept under the bank and out of sight. {Suzie remember} I threw down my shotgun and jumped into the creek and reached under the bank, caught Spot and pulled him out. I would like to say with the bird in his mouth, but that would be a little too much even for a dog like Spot. But what happened next was unreal. I put Spot on the bank and before I could climb out he was back in the water looking for that bird. I grabbed Spot and pulled him back out and it was at that time I saw the dead bird caught in some vines and threw him on the bank. Spot immediately picked up the bird and held him until I could climb out of the water.

Dogs have always been a part of my life in one way or another. Levi just happened to be one that really buried himself deep into my heart as a child would in so many ways. Thatโ€™s enough for this morning I am starting to hurt from a kidney stone trying to pass so I had better leave for now.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
"If grief shared is grief halved, just think how much lesser will be your share."
We are all sharing your grief
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mistressofdistress wrote:
Gary, you said that so well.

I agree. That's how I felt too.
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB