cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Dixie Flyer wrote:
This year promises to be one of the best for the Old Fella story so stay around and see what is about to happen.

That's right - give us a tidbit! Come on, what, what, what??? :B
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
woodstick welcome to the Old Fella story and thread. The last two years have been awesome and filled with surprises. This year promises to be one of the best for the Old Fella story so stay around and see what is about to happen.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
Wow what a story or should I say stories! I came to the RV Pet Shop forum to look at any posts regarding travelling with your pet as DH and I plan on fulltime RVing as soon as the house sells. I saw the โ€œOld Fellaโ€ thread, I had never seen so many pages to one post on any forum so I just had to check it out! I have spent most of the last 4 days reading each day until my eyes would say, no more reading! It was a like a book that you just canโ€™t lay down. As lots on here have stated, an emotional roller coaster, laughing, crying, praying, and sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to see what the outcome was. I was lucky I could just keep reading but still was on the edge of my seat reading as fast as I could to see what happened. When I left the forum, I couldnโ€™t wait to get back to do some more reading.
I cannot say anything that has not been said already regarding the love and respect that Richard has for animals and people, and also the rest of you that post here. I suspect that none of you, least of all Richard, could have predicted how his first question could have mushroomed to create such a fantastic outcome. I still will go back and read more of Richardโ€™s stories as I skipped some along the way, just wanted to find about Old Fella, Richardโ€™s plans on the shelter, rallies, dog transporting and the stories of otherโ€™s who post on this forum.
Five of our dogs came from shelters and we could write a story regarding what each one meant to us, how they turned into fantastic companions after some love, attention and of course training. As someone stated in this thread, shelter dogs come with baggage and some unwanted behaviours that can usually be turned around with some trust, love and understanding. I must say none of the stories would come close to Richards. Richard, you have a wonderful gift there!
Well folks I think this is getting too long! Take care God Bless you all. Will keep praying for all here, especially at their times of loss, sickness and other trials. Stay safe and have a Happy and healthy 2008!
Richard, I sure pray that your plans come through the way you want them to happen!
Will check back everyday I can from now on to keep up.
Woodstick and Queen of the North
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
38' Sportsmen Sportster Toy Hauler
Pulled by 2003 3500 Dodge Diesel 6 speed
Rolling Castle Blog
Patsy does all the posting.

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
OH rats......it is tissue alert time again. And I just put them away. Silly me.

I am glad you are off on another story, Richard.
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was the first day of the camping trip as Fella looked out the door of the camper and saw familiar territory. It brought back memories of last year with the family as he could hear the sound of the ocean waves breaking on the sandy beach. For a moment he was saddened by the thought that his old friend Levi wasnโ€™t there, then his thoughts turned to Suzie. She had grown into a beautiful young pup with her red coat and was now one and a half years old. She had come a long way from the days when Dad rescued her along with her sisters from the trash dumpster. The ride from home had made her sick but ridding always did that to her anyway. She enjoyed going and eagerly jumped into the truck every time the door was open. She was enjoying her trip and loved her family very much but you could tell she missed Levi too.

โ€œSuzieโ€, Fella called, โ€œWhat do you think of the big water?โ€

โ€œโ€Itโ€™s kind of like the other place we went to with Levi last summer,โ€ she replied.

โ€œYeah, it is,โ€ Fella said as he lay back down.

Mom and Dad were busy getting ready to walk on the beach as Suzie and Fella watched with anticipation hoping they would hurry up so they could go. The weather was nice and mild with a gentle breeze blowing in from the ocean that morning as the four of them started out for their walk. Fella was eager to see and smell old familiar places as he tugged on the leash, Suzie followed watching the birds and other wild life on the beach wondering if she could catch one of those little grey birds that ran along the waters edge. She longed to be free of the leash but the area they were in required that she be kept on a leash at all times. There were children ridding bicycles and other folks searching out hidden treasures in the sand as they walked and watched the activity.

Then they came to a deep cut in the beach as water rushed back into the ocean from a low area that had filled during high tide. The water was deep enough to keep Mom and Dad from crossing over as they didnโ€™t want to get their feet wet. Suzie wanted to push on and couldnโ€™t understand why they were turning back.

โ€œWe will come back later when the tide has gone out and walk to the light house.โ€ Dad said.

โ€œOkay,โ€ replied Sue as they turned to walk back to the camper.

A flood of memories filled Fellaโ€™s soul just about that time as he pictured he and Levi walking in the same area last year having a great time enjoying themselves as if nothing would ever separate them. Life has a way of changing things that is not in our control he thought. How sad it is to know that this old body will grow old and diseased and die leaving behind those you love. Fella thought about the place called Rainbow Bridge where Levi was waiting and felt he too would soon join him there. He knew he was getting up there in age and every day here was a blessing and borrowed. He thought of his Mom and Dad and how much he loved them and how his life had been changed.

Continued:

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not as cold this morning as the outside temperature is 31* The high today will be near 60*, that's more like it. Old Fella is doing great and Suzie is is still an imp. This morning Suzie was chasing Izzie around the house and then the tables turned as Izzie chased Suzie around the house. It is so funny to watch those two as they pick at each other. Izzie has learned to tease Suzie into chasing him into the bedroom. Izzie jumps on the bed from one side and then jumps down off the other. He will then run under the bed and attack Suzie as she stands looking up at the bed. Its all fun and games as long as Izzie keeps the claws in.

Fella should be on a new adventure in a day or two so keep watching the thread. Suzie has been my inspiration lately for some funny stuff.

Sue took a pillow out of one of the beds {it has four pillows in it} to balance a load in the washing machine. Suzie's pad for her kennel cage needed washing and when that thing gets water soaked it gets heavy so when the washing machine goes on the spin cycle it makes it do the dance, by putting the pillow one side it balances the load. Anyway Suzie watched Sue take one of the pillows out and she looked at the sagging end of the bed and decided to take a peak inside to see what was going on. She put her head inside the cover with her butt sticking up in the air, well I couldn't help myself. I surprised her from behind as she jumped inside the bed cover turning her body around so her head was sticking out of the zippered end of the cover. She enjoyed being in there so much she didn't want to come out. It was so funny watching this lump go around inside the cover as she pushed her way around inside.

What a bundle of joy she is and how much I love her antics. Sue has some errands for me this morning so I had better get started. Talk with you later.

Wife Sue

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
It wasn't what they were looking for. I don't know why they even came to look at it?

they are called "Lookie Loos" they just like to look.
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It wasn't what they were looking for. I don't know why they even came to look at it?

Wife Sue

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Richard,
What ever happened regarding the people who came to look at your house? the potential Buyers?

Shirley
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Julie, what State Parks do you visit? Maybe sometime in the future we might arrange a camping trip to your part of Georgia or maybe you might come this way? Old Fella and Suzie love to meet new friends.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This morning it was 19* outside. When Fella and Suzie went out they didnโ€™t want to stay very long. By the time I got back to them they were standing at the back door waiting to come inside. The City of Waynesboro is dragging their feet with the proposal I made to them. The city manager told me yesterday the budget was slashed again to meet the money they have and the Waynesboro Animal Shelter may not get the funds needed for expansion.

Oh well, I will just have to wait and see what develops. Why is it so hard to help these animals that are so deserving? Today will be another cold day for us in the deep south with a high in the 40โ€™s. It is suppose to warm up by next week to what is normal for us. Old Fella and Suzie donโ€™t seem to mind staying indoors so much with the cold weather. Suzie is doing so well at night sleeping in our room out of her kennel cage. She sleeps all night on her bed without roaming through the house and when morning comes she will jump up on the bed and poke around my face to let me know she is up and ready to face the day and then lay at the foot of the bed until we get up. Fella has stopped looking for Levi and is not restless anymore at night. I guess he has accepted Levi is gone and is not coming back.

Sue says I need to find a job to occupy my time if my working for the city isnโ€™t going to materialize. So I will consider the things I can do that will be productive. Okay I have to go for now and I will talk with you later.

Wife Sue

bonniesoo
Explorer
Explorer
Julie, glad to have you on the forum....lots of great people and sweet furbabies reside here!!!
Kim & Donna Hale
2009 Monaco Camelot
2016 Ford Explorer

Suki & Mayla- 2 spoiled pekingese
Our precious Mika ( at the Rainbow Bridge)
Hook'em Horns

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Keep plugging away Julie! You are getting closer!
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

JulieT
Explorer
Explorer
Page 386 of 456 and counting....Dad just returned from camping trip w/dd and family and OF's back legs are troubling him. You know in reading this as intensly as i find myself doing, I can sense the feelings of all involved in each other's lives. When one is down and needs the prayers of others, y'all all pull thru. When there is sadness we all feel it and the happy times are celebrated by all in unison. I cry, I smile, I pray and I laugh out loud. Thank you all FOOFs for a beautiful story. Can't wait to catch up and meet you all and give you all a big hug, especially Rich, Sue and Old Fella.

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Oh I am so saddened we can't make the Old Fella rally this year (we are spending the summer in Portland Or getting to know our newest grandson). But will be to the Ohio Old Fella rally for sure and I will finally get to meet some of the great people I have met on this forum. I can't wait.

Becky
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS