cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Missy will not eat her food until evening as well (there is no one else here to swipe it, so no worries about leaving it down all day) But she usually doesn't do more than smell it in the morning, and will usually eat most of it at night. There are times she will eat only a little bit of it in 2 days. She is healthy and not over weight nor under weight so guess it isn't hurting her.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Just ten more days until Christmas with "all the stocking hung out with care in hopes that Saint Nicholas will soon be there."

Suzie sent Santa a letter and asked for a new diet. It seems as if she isn't happy with her food lately as she lets it sit until late evening before she will eat. She sits guard over it all day however just to make sure Peaches doesn't get any of it. This morning I gave her a can of wet food to see if she would eat that, she didn't even touch it, so it will sit there all day and either she will eat it or it will get dumped later today.

Peaches will eat all of her food and then try to sneak a look at Suzie's to see if she can grab a bite before she is discovered. So I have to put Suzie's food out of reach until she tells me she is ready to eat. This has been going on ever since Fella and Charlie left us. She eats when she wants to and not before. She isn't losing any weight and seems to be getting her fill, but not like I would perfer she would because it leaves food out that is tempting for Peaches to get into so we have to watch the food all day to make sure Suzie and not Peaches eats it.

I believe I will try this to see if it works. Put Suzie's food out and if she doesn't eat it, then dump it until she gets hungry enough to eat in the mornings. But what a waste of food and that doesn't set will with me as there are animals out there starving to death that would love to have that bowl of food.

I have a lot of errands to run today so I had better get started. I will talk with you later, have a blessed day.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grillmeister wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
This is Bullet. His owner died and he has no where to go. He is ten years old and is a house dog. Up to date on his shots and ready for adoption.

How is Bullet doing? :@

Bullet is quietly waiting for a home.

Wife Sue

Grillmeister
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
This is Bullet. His owner died and he has no where to go. He is ten years old and is a house dog. Up to date on his shots and ready for adoption.

How is Bullet doing? :@
Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
We ended at 66, although they said results were not necessarily finalized. I guess that is kind of like the political elections! One in Columbus OH was just finalized recently. The good thing about this is that more attention was brought to the plight of animals, just like Old Fella.
Off and running on a typical Monday......Have a good day, FOOFs.
Jana
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
My last vote was today....still at 65 and proud of all the votes received. Being second in the state of georgia is something!!!
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suzie, Peaches, Izzie and Dixie Flyer are saying good night to every one. Have a blessed night and a blessed day tomorrow.

Wife Sue

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking forward to hearing about the BIG SURPRISE in January too. It's like a Christmas present for everyone! Looking forward to your post Richard!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
My dad was a big quail hunter and had several nice bird dogs through out the years. One of which was named Bob that came from a line of championship English setters. Bob was always in the front of the pack, dad usually had three dogs on the ground at one time. I remember one evening we were on the way back to the barn and it was a bitter cold day and the hunting had been good. The dogs were on the ground hunting their way back to warmth and food when we missed Bob. Dad said we had better turn back and find him as he may be on a point. It was getting dark when we finally found him almost belly deep in water pointing at a clump of ground just ahead of him. He had been on point for a long time and was shivering from the wet and cold. Dad flush the birds and when the covey rose into the air the sound of gunfire echoed in the late evening dusk. I remember my dad walking over to Bob, picking him up in his arms and proudly carried him back to the dog box that was in the Jeep. As he put Bob into the box he remarked, "Money can't buy a dog like this."

Dad loved his bird dogs but they were never a part of the family as they were working dogs and he didnโ€™t want them pampered. As I grew into adulthood I too followed in his footsteps except I fell in love with Brittany Spaniels who were loyal family dogs as well as hunting dogs. The first time dad saw my Brittany named Sailor he laughed and said he would never keep up with his far ranging dogs. But as the day went on Sailor proved his worth by staying close and finding the single birds and would always be the first to find the birds that were down.

One day while hunting, a bird was shot and fell into a swollen creek, Sailor jumped into the raging water he was quickly swept away downstream to a cut in the bank in the bend of the creek. There were a lot of vines that snared Sailor and he disappeared under the water. I threw down my gun and jumped into the water, grabbed Sailor and threw him up on the bank. I was getting out when Sailor jumped back into water and disappeared once again. I reached under the bank and caught him by the collar and pulled him out again dislodging the bird. Sailor saw the bird from the bank and jumped back into the water this time catching his prize and arriving at a shallow place in the creek he managed to climb up on the sandbar looking as proud as could be. I turned to my dad and said, โ€œMoney canโ€™t buy a dog like that.โ€

Sailor was a member of the family for many years and was always ready for a hunt or a walk in the woods. One day as we were walking he disappeared, never to be seen again. I have often thought about him and wondered what happened that day. I know if he were able to get back to me he would have. Maybe someone picked him up, maybe a gator got him, I donโ€™t know, but one thing I do know is he was one of the finest companion hunting dogs I have ever had.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
chemisd wrote:
I hope that Bullet finds a home with someone like he lost. Didn't you say he lived with an elderly gentleman? Is there anyone out like that? It reminds me of the story you wrote last year around Christmas.....
I voted today, and guess tomorrow will be the last day. We are at 65. At first a little disappointing, but when I looked at New Rattitude which is in the number one spot in GA, I found that there were several New Rattitudes. Their position was in the THOUSANDS!! So to think that Old Fella is in number 65 is pretty darn amazing!!! We may not win the $10,000 but we all know its a winner in our hearts!

Can't wait for January to come....

Wife Sue

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
I hope that Bullet finds a home with someone like he lost. Didn't you say he lived with an elderly gentleman? Is there anyone out like that? It reminds me of the story you wrote last year around Christmas.....
I voted today, and guess tomorrow will be the last day. We are at 65. At first a little disappointing, but when I looked at New Rattitude which is in the number one spot in GA, I found that there were several New Rattitudes. Their position was in the THOUSANDS!! So to think that Old Fella is in number 65 is pretty darn amazing!!! We may not win the $10,000 but we all know its a winner in our hearts!
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

joang
Explorer
Explorer
What's probably more ridiculous is that the web designer was trying to be dog friendly! There's an image of a dog pointing at a duck in the top left corner and the spiffy dog on the chain is a classic hunting breed, with the hallmark orange collar, clearly ready to run off and get to work. That IS the ideal dog in the rural south! Live in a kennel outside, ride in a box in the back of a truck to and from 'work.' A treasured family favorite may cost hundreds or thousands of dollars, yet never set foot in the house!

Welcome to the south!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
lviars50 wrote:
I wrote them by email that i found that picture of the poor chained dog very distasteful.I sure hope they remove it but i guess we will see.
Lois

Dixie Flyer wrote:
Do you see anything wrong with this web page

Burke County, Georgia web site

If enough people write them maybe they will remove it..

Wife Sue

Buzz-ette
Explorer
Explorer
What a cutie! I hope Bullet finds a forever home very soon. I'll keep him in my prayers.
1980 Dodge Xplorer
Pixie Honeybun (Rat Terrier) and Itsa (kitty)

lviars50
Explorer
Explorer
I wrote them by email that i found that picture of the poor chained dog very distasteful.I sure hope they remove it but i guess we will see.
Lois

Dixie Flyer wrote:
Do you see anything wrong with this web page

Burke County, Georgia web site
Tom & Lois Viars
Vacation Rentals By Owner in Beautiful Smoky Mountains Tn
smokymtnrentals@yahoo.com
www.vrbo.com/207287
www.vrbo.com/209753

04 40FT Alfa See Ya 1614
Towing 2000 Suzuki Vitara
TTNLTR,C2C,RPI,PA,AOR,FMCA,GOODSAMS