cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,299 REPLIES 32,299

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got back from the big adventure. I carried Mama and Hobo for their first ever walk together on the leash. I am sure it was the first time Hobo had been on a leash by the way she acted in the beginning. Following Mama's lead Hobo soon caught on that no one was going to hurt her and she wasn't going to the meat packing plant and had the best time exploring new territory.

This sets the stage now for the camping trip this weekend to Magnolia Springs State Park. We will leave Claire behind as I just can't handle five dogs in our camper and trying to walk and potty that many at one time.

Hobo has come a long way since I first met her and is making progress very day. I believe she will soon learn not to be afraid of everything and enjoy being anywhere we go. Now I have to finish what I started with the cats and find them homes.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Missy120 wrote:
Do I donate to the Old Fella site to help the kitties or is there somewhere special I should send some money. I don't have much at the moment but would love to give what I can. My two Cocker's came from shetlters and my kitties that I have I found all as kittens except for one, and nursed them all back to health.

Old Fella Buirke County Animal Rescue

Wife Sue

Missy120
Explorer
Explorer
Do I donate to the Old Fella site to help the kitties or is there somewhere special I should send some money. I don't have much at the moment but would love to give what I can. My two Cocker's came from shetlters and my kitties that I have I found all as kittens except for one, and nursed them all back to health.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to this link and see what Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue has accomplished in the past year, you will be proud of what you read.

Old Fella accomplishments for 2008

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking out the window into the back yard I watched Claire, Hobo and Suzie play as if they were all puppies again. Hobo is having the best time perhaps enjoying a relaxed mode of play for the first time in a very long time. She is really making progress leaving her shyness behind. Each step forward is such a blessing to see as all of the animals fit into the life style we have here at home. Mama is so happy and loves her new place in life. Last night I left the door open to the sunroom and the door into our bedroom. Mama and Hobo made their way into the bedroom, found the beds I placed in their for them and slept all night in perfect peace.

I am able to see how a little kindness goes a long way in making a difference in the lives of others. When I think about all the people who have suffered and have lost treasures in their lives, I can't help but think if everyone would just pick out one person, one family to help there would be less for our government to do and less people on welfare.

In these economic hard times there are people who need and would appreciate help, just like the cat up the pine tree. Fear has pushed them to where they are and fear keeps them there. Fear of what lies ahead and fear of what lies behind their shattered lives.

Just as the kitties, Hobo and Mama have responded to love, people who have hardened their hearts will also respond to a loving hand and a kind deed.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would like to thank everyone who has helped with the kitties. Each cat has to be taken in and tested for disease and see if it has been spayed or neutered. The process for testing with shots costs $30.00 per cat so you can see that will be expensive for the 20-25 cats that are still there.

Every time we receive help it means one more cat can be rescued. One by one until they are done will be the motto.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
agteacher wrote:
I noticed in the newspaper a picture below the article. FFA has a program called BOAC - Building Our American Communities. It's their volunteer program for the whole chapter.

To my understanding it is.

Wife Sue

yankeeblue
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I just wanted to thank you so much for going back for the kitties. With all the love they are showing you,plus some being spayed/neutured, surely they are used to humans and should be able to find homes with lovely families. My heart goes out to all those left behind when an owner gets sick or dies.
Bless you for easing the life of all the animals Cy left there, and for giving Cy peace in knowing his loved babies will be looked after and not left to fend for themselves.
The FOOF here are a loyal bunch, and we're here to help you in any way we can. Old Fella (Izzie too) would be proud!
2004 Prowler 270FQS "MY PRECIOUS"
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT quad 5.9L V8 360 tow package

"Happiness is but a state of mind. Any time you want, you can cross the state line."

We LOVE the RED WINGS! Go Wings!

Our 2004 Prowler photos

Grillmeister
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely incredible, Richard you are a master of animal behavior โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ
Dixie Flyer wrote:

I went back to the carport and sat in the white plastic chair while some of the kitties came and got in my lap for their head and back scratching. Some of them came for the first time and allowed me to touch them. I decided to look and see if the kitty was making an attempt to climb down the tree and sure enough he was coming down slowly but surely. Finally at last he made his way to the botom of the tree, jumped down and ran straight for the food and water. He said thank you and ran past me at 90 MPH.
Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed in the newspaper a picture below the article. FFA has a program called BOAC - Building Our American Communities. It's their volunteer program for the whole chapter.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Here are 2 of the doggies that were rescued because of Richard's kindness. How could someone resist this face:

dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA POPPY wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
I can start taking some of them to the vet and hopefully maybe find some of them a home.

That's wonderful news, Richard! Thank you so much for not giving up on these little guys! Hopefully, the dogs you've seen are just neighbors' pets that enjoy scattering the cats. Have you had anymore news about Cy? I can tell how much he loved those kitties, just by the way you describe their need for attention.

No word on Cy lately. Last week he was improving because he had been on a steady diet and receiving some much needed help.

Wife Sue

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
I can start taking some of them to the vet and hopefully maybe find some of them a home.

That's wonderful news, Richard! Thank you so much for not giving up on these little guys! Hopefully, the dogs you've seen are just neighbors' pets that enjoy scattering the cats. Have you had anymore news about Cy? I can tell how much he loved those kitties, just by the way you describe their need for attention.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today when I got to the old man's home the cat that was chased up the pine tree was still there about 50 feet up. He was crying so hard for someone to rescue him. Talked to him for a little while and then went on to finish feeding the other cats but before I left him I just prayed a little prayer that God would take away the fear that had driven him up the tree and had kept him there for over 24 hours.

When I finished feeding the other cats I went back to the tree with some food and placed it at the bottom while my little shadow followed me about {Little grey and white kitty that is so sweet}. I looked up the tree and told him he could make it if he would just try and I prayed one more time that God would help him down.

I went back to the carport and sat in the white plastic chair while some of the kitties came and got in my lap for their head and back scratching. Some of them came for the first time and allowed me to touch them. I decided to look and see if the kitty was making an attempt to climb down the tree and sure enough he was coming down slowly but surely. Finally at last he made his way to the botom of the tree, jumped down and ran straight for the food and water. He said thank you and ran past me at 90 MPH.

There were over twenty cats there today, no dogs. I don't know where the two dogs come from but they seem to delight in chasing the cats. Now that there are some donations coming in for the cats I can start taking some of them to the vet and hopefully maybe find some of them a home.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:
Great news! Do you have a kind of rivalry with Swainsboro? :B

Not with Swainesboro. They are forty miles down the road from us and we don't compete in school activities, or sports.

Wife Sue