cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a wonderful trip to St. Augustine and the young mother was an ideal travler.

This is Sandi with the mother.

This is the camp ground we stayed at. What a very nice place to stay.

2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

newk
Explorer
Explorer
Dan, I had to laugh at no. 8:
"We would not have to spell words like B-A-L-L, F-R-I-S-B-E-E, W-A-L-K, T-R-E-A-T, C-O-O-K-I-E, B-I-K-E, C-A-R, G-O, and R-I-D-E."

Our Yorkie knew how to spell about a half-dozen words. ๐Ÿ™‚ The spelling trick only works for awhile.

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
My Cocker spaniel has a lot of Eye matter coming out. Vet told me that could be a sign of infection, or in Maggies case its allergy's.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Ron & Shirley wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what are the eye "boogers" a symptom of? Since changing Suki's food she gets these huge ones now that she has never gotten before.

I have read that beets in the dog food make dark staining at the inside corner of the eyes. It makes sense and I never understood why dogs need beets in their diet. Waiting to hear how Wolfie is...
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

maltese-lover2
Explorer
Explorer
Carole,

Prayers and thoughts coming to you from Colorado. I hope we will hear today that Wolfie is doing much better.

So glad to hear that Richard and Sue are having a much deserved rest.

Gigi
Scott, Gigi + 7 maltese
2005 Safari Cheetah

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Just out of curiosity, what are the eye "boogers" a symptom of? Since changing Suki's food she gets these huge ones now that she has never gotten before.

allergies is one possibility.

Shirley
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Carole, prayers for Wolfie. Richard and Sue safe travels.

Becky
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

sukerpooch
Explorer
Explorer
Gentle Spirit wrote:
Last night when I put Wolfie to bed, I noticed blood on his fur around his rectum. Thinking about it, he has many of the same symptoms that killed my dog Baxter in December. Baxter was 10 and part boxer, so we thought he had cancer (#1 Boxer killer), but now I'm questioning. Wolfie has alot of eye "boogers", seems lethargic, sometimes doesn't finish his food (unheard of with him), I noticed yesterday he seems to be drinking more, all the same symptoms Baxter had.....I'm scared. Of course, I'll be taking him to the vet first thing Monday - but I did take Baxter to the vet before his symptoms got so bad that he was vomiting blood and the vet couldn't find anything wrong. I know that rectal bleeding is a pretty bad sign, and with the increase in drinking, he could be in kidney failure.
I don't know how I could get through losing him, I'm distraught. Please pray for him.......

Jim & Becky (mostly Becky, unless its the Tech forums!)
Suki the camping Akita
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Dually w/ MegaCab (for the spoiled dog!)
2005 MOUNTAINEER 335RLBS

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Boy those thoughts are all true in my house. We just installed a new gate with a cat door to keep the dogs out of the dining room, Daisy knows how to squeeze through the cat door.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Just a little thought for the day:

Things we could do if we didnโ€™t have dogs:)

20. We could walk around our yards barefoot in complete safety.

19. We could carpet our houses rather than using only tile and laminate.

18. All flat surfaces, clothing, furniture, and cars would be free of hair.

17... When the doorbell rings, our houses wouldnโ€™t sound like kennels.

16. We could sit on our couches and beds the way we wanted, without taking into consideration how much space several fur bodies would need to get comfortable.

15. We would have money to spend, and no guilt over going on real vacations.

14. We would not be on a first-name basis with six different veterinarians, as we put their yet unborn grandchildren through college.

13. The most used words in our vocabularies would not be: out, sit, down, come, no, stay, and leave it alone!

12. Our houses would not be cordoned off into zones with baby gates or other barriers.

11. The phrases โ€œEat your din-din.โ€ and โ€œyummy yummy for your tummy!โ€ would never be uttered.

10. Our houses wouldnโ€™t be littered with toys.

9. Our pockets would be free of poop bags, treats, and extra leashes.

8. We would not have to spell words like B-A-L-L, F-R-I-S-B-E-E, W-A-L-K, T-R-E-A-T, C-O-O-K-I-E, B-I-K-E, C-A-R, G-O, and R-I-D-E.

7. We wouldnโ€™t have just as many leaves inside our homes as outside.

6. We wouldnโ€™t look strangely at people who think having ONE dog ties them down too much.

5. Weโ€™d look forward to spring, with its peaceful rain, rather than dreading mud season.

4. Weโ€™d never have to answer the question, โ€œWhy do you have so many animals?โ€

3. Weโ€™d never experience the joy of knowing we are loved unconditionally.

2. Weโ€™d never personally know an angel.

1. Our lives would be so EMPTY!

Until next time,

Good day, and good dog!
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Carole
Prayers for you and WOlfie. I would consider getting another vets opinion as from what you posted , the vet dropped the ball with Baxter
Please keep us posted
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear that the transfer went well. Also glad to hear that Sue and Richard had some well deserved time alone. Even Guardian Angels need a break. God Bless you both.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carole, prayers for your baby.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Carole, We are keeping our fingers crossed for Wolfie and sending you a bumch of relaxation wishes.

Talked to Richard a little bit ago. He said that the transfer went great. Thought Mama kitty was a great camping cat. Richard opened the crate and let them out and she just acted like she was as home in the camper. Richard said he has pictures and will post when they get home. They are leaving tomorrow morning. Richard said he and Sue have had a very relaxing weekend...........Celebrity status..........:B:B
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Gary and everyone who has responded. After going to the website Gary provided the link for, I do feel alittle bit better. Couldn't sleep last night worrying about him and when I looked around on the internet, I just got more fearful. I did question if it could be something environmental - our water is good here and he really doesn't have access to anything poisonous. Although, his water bowl in his yard was full of soot from us burning a "chiminy sweep" log in the fireplace, and although I cleaned it out, I noticed he doesn't drink from it and will drink quite alot in the house and on the deck. I'll clean it out with bleach today. Maybe he's constipated from not drinking enough. I sure hope that is all it is - but there are also other symptoms, like a sore on his front leg that has taken months to heal (also limping on that leg), the eye goop, not always eating....we'll have to wait to see what the vet says tomorrow.
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad