cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

maltese-lover2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Here in Colorado, it has been pretty bleak (even though we need the rain)and when you're trying to put in some new grass for the furkids, it gets a little frustrating. We are trying to finish it today before the rain hits again. Their little feet get quite muddy so we are having to cover the ground with a tarp until the grass goes down.

Has anyone ever fostered puppy mill dogs? I sure could use some advice. PM me if anyone can help. I am having a small problem of marking even though they have belly bands on and potty training in general especially since I have several of my own.

Gigi
Scott, Gigi + 7 maltese
2005 Safari Cheetah

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yesterday was a very wet day as it rain all afternoon. Sue and I were able to walk the fur kids after church, but about one O'clock it began to rain and it rained all afternoon at times very Hard. The fur kids were bored and wanted to go outside so I did let them out in between showers. Mama is having a reaction to something and I don't know if it is the Joint Strong of the Metacam so I have cut back on what I have been giving to see what happens.

Today is supposed to be more of the same, rain and then some more rain. So We will wait and see if the picnic in the park gets rained out and if it doesn't we will take Peaches, Suzie, Hobo and Mama to the park for some hot dogs and hamburgers. Living in a small town has a lot of advantages and for the most part less stressful. The thing I like is everything is just five minutes away no matter where you want to go. I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend, so stay dry, stay out of trouble and hug your fur kids for me.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

ngraef
Explorer
Explorer
I just returned from vacation and read a discussion about Joint Strong and expiration dates. Each one should have a sticker on it that has the expiration date on it. I would look on the lid or on the bottom. It is a white sticker on my jars. I hope this helps. Nancy

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to dewinterize the camper - FINALLY! to get ready for the Old Fella Rally. Happy Memorial Day to all. Safe travels....
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
I hope that Sentinel will pay for this and I know Snoppy will be OK. You caught it early.

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

nonameperson
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Rich stay off the ladders, but hold them steady for Sue. I get so disgusted with people who get half way thru a job and then quit, and leave the hardest part up to you. Our kitchen cabinets goclear to the cieling also.

our mama beagle is doing fine with the 5 fat puppies, they are starting to open their eyes, so that ought to make life interesting for them,

we are awaiting word from the vet to see if he can nail the makers of sentinal pay for Snoopys treatment, since he has been on it since we got him, and it is supposed to prevent heart worm.
Lady is fat and sassy, getting to be an old lady and has that disposition lol

have a great weekend and fun at the rally in Ohio
God Bless

Nina

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess a lot of folks are out camping this weekend with it being Memorial Day weekend. We are still trying to get things together here at the house that wasn't done before we went to New Mexico. Sue is having the kitchen remodeled and the painter quit about half way through the job and he was supposed to hang the cabinet doors as well. When all the doors were taken down they were numbered so we would know where they were supposed to go. Well the numbers are gone and he just brought them back and dumped them in the dinning room for us to figure out. The new hinges don't fit as they should as the inset is too shallow so we will have to wing it in order to make them fit. Sue is glazing the cabinets and doors while I fit the hinges.

Since I lost the sight in one eye I cannot climb a ladder and keep my balance so that is off limits for me. We have ten foot ceilings in the house so the cabinets are very high. We will try and finish the kitchen before we leave for the rally in Ohio so we won't be facing that when we get back.

Mama seems to bet getting better with her eating as her stomach troubles and she is eating once again. Hobo waits around to see if Mama is going to leave anything in her bowl so she can lick it clean, then she goes around checking all the other food bowls to see if Peaches and Suzie left anything. Mama is on the couch, Hobo is on the dog bed in the family room, Suzie is in the bedroom on the bed and Peaches is lying on a small area of the couch with Mama. All the fur babies are at peace and I had better get going and start hanging cabinet doors.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today we had another successful rescue as we brought home five puppies bringing the total to seven. There is one left and we will get her tomorrow. I was only bitten once in the ordeal but that was to be expected having to reach in and grab a bunch of wild puppies that were cornered. The one remaining puppy was not with the others, she is smart in knowing it was a trap she was bout to enter into. But anyway tomorrow is another day and another attempt will be made to bring her into the fold.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last night out of curiosity I went surfing on the internet just putting in โ€œRichard Daniels/Dixie Flyerโ€ and โ€œRichard Daniels/Old Fellaโ€ and various other search words like โ€œA Very Old Strayโ€, โ€œGood Samโ€™s Rver of the yearโ€ and was amazed at what came up. There were articles in dog magazines that I didnโ€™t know about and other articles as well. It just amazes me sometimes just how much Old Fella has come to be known in places I never heard of.

I look at Mama and remember Charlie and some of the other older dogs that have come our way and think of how much love they brought into our lives. Mama is such a sweet old girl and has really attached herself to the family. She has a way of looking at you that will melt your heart. She gets so excited when she knows we are going for walk and runs to the back door to wait her turn to have her leash put on. Then she starts barking as if to say, โ€œLetโ€™s go! Letโ€™s go!โ€ There is such a spring in her step when we start out the back yard and turn toward the City Park which is our first stop to visit the Old Fella Memorial. I always look forward to going there myself to remember the gentle old black dog that touched our lives and then left us far too soon.

I see Old Fella lying on his side slapping at me with his front paw for attention. Then there were the walks around town and when he could no longer go for a walk how he would look forward to riding in the red wagon Sue and I bought for him. Then there was his barking with excitement as if to say โ€œLook at me, I have my own ride.โ€ Yesterday Vicki and I went to rescue more of the puppies only to find they were scattered about hiding under old abandon cars where you couldnโ€™t get to them. As we stood around talking I thought of Suzie, Savannah, Dixie and Anna and some of the other puppies that have been rescued and how they are enjoying life in a secure family setting. I also thought of some pictures of dogs that had made the trip to Salem Mass and have found homes, the happy smiles on their faces and the families writing to say how they appreciate what is being done here in Burke County to save the animals.

I do hope that some of you will be able to make the trip to Waynesboro sometime in the future to visit the memorial for Old Fella and perhaps see a brick with your name on it. The legacy of Old Fella will live on for a long time, I hope many generations will come to know him and how he inspired a community to help homeless animals and how that inspiration spread out beyond the borders of Burke County Georgia into cities and towns all across America. I may never see the full impact that Old Fella will have on this community, or across America, but I know in my heart that the day will come when Old Fellaโ€™s story will become the hope of many. The compassion inspired by this old stray dog will someday become a heritage and treasure for all who will read and become a part of this wonderful story. Just to know I have been a part of this and have become known as the one who found such a treasure and was able to share it with others will be enough for me.

I think one of the highest points of my life is being chosen Good Samโ€™s Rver of the Year. What a privilege to have been chosen the first to receive this recognition. Old Fella must be proud of this achievement and what it has meant to the rescue of others of his kind. My life has been and continues to be blessed by the many friends that I have come to know through this thread. As Sue and I prepare for the Ohio Rally I stand amazed at the folks who will gather there to celebrate one old stray dog named Old Fella that came into our lives and like a gentle breeze on a spring day touching our lives and changing them for the better.

Wife Sue

lviars50
Explorer
Explorer
My i sure wont Rascal he is beautiful but Husband says no. I know Richard wont have him long lets all pray GOD will find him the best home any doggie could ever have someone who will give him all the love he deserves.
Lois

lviars50 wrote:
Oh my what a beauty iam in love sure wish i could take it
Lois

Dixie Flyer wrote:
I would like for everyone to meet Rascal. What is so special about Rascal?

He is Old Fella's 100th rescued puppy of the year and it is only mid May!
Tom & Lois Viars
Vacation Rentals By Owner in Beautiful Smoky Mountains Tn
smokymtnrentals@yahoo.com
www.vrbo.com/207287
www.vrbo.com/209753

04 40FT Alfa See Ya 1614
Towing 2000 Suzuki Vitara
TTNLTR,C2C,RPI,PA,AOR,FMCA,GOODSAMS
AND THE BEST WALLY-WORLD

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA POPPY wrote:
I keep the Joint Strong in the kitchen (house, not RV) and can't find a word on the can about expiration date or storage of the open container. With its chicken base, though, I think I will start keeping it in the fridge. I've noticed that if I give these girls just a little too much of it, they will get the runs.

Rascal is just as cute as can be! I love the little terrier mixes.

It doesn't seem to bother Peaches, but Mama seems to have a reaction to it now so I cut her back to half {one scoop per day}.

Wife Sue

lviars50
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry to hear about Snoopy gosh i sure didnt know they could still get heartworn while taking thier meds.I have Daisy & Ellie both on intersepter (spelling)?Every month they both get a bath, flea and tick meds and the heartworn meds its always on the 15 of the month husbands birthday and Daisys thats the only way i can remember to do it.Richard so sorry about your friend losing his home MAY GOD BLESS HIM
Lois

nonameperson wrote:
good morning all I have good news and badnews.

We took Lady and Snoopy to the vet yesterday for their shots and blood work and Snoopys blood came back positive for heartworm. He has been on sentinel since we have had him and has always tested negative. What a shock, he weighs almot 30 pounds which is way too much for a beagle. We are still in shock, and I have been teary eyed ever since. the vet has the paper work showing Snoopy has been on sentinel all this time he ishoping the company will pay for his treatment. He drew 2 vials of blood to send off to labs . I am devastated.

our resued female beagle has 5 very fat black puppies and we figure they are part lab. they should make very lovable friends for kids.

the shelters around here said they are all full and could we givethem a foster home, well we have been fostering Lucy for 2 or more months. She is a good mother to the puppies.

Ya all have a great time at the rally in Ohio, wish we could go, but we are working at the campground, and I am not sure I would want to travel with 3 dogs and 5 puppies lol

God Bless
Tom & Lois Viars
www.vrbo.com/207287
www.vrbo.com/209753

04 40FT Alfa See Ya 1614
AND THE BEST WALLY-WORLD

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I keep the Joint Strong in the kitchen (house, not RV) and can't find a word on the can about expiration date or storage of the open container. With its chicken base, though, I think I will start keeping it in the fridge. I've noticed that if I give these girls just a little too much of it, they will get the runs.

Rascal is just as cute as can be! I love the little terrier mixes.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

lviars50
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my what a beauty iam in love sure wish i could take it
Lois

Dixie Flyer wrote:
I would like for everyone to meet Rascal. What is so special about Rascal?

He is Old Fella's 100th rescued puppy of the year and it is only mid May!
Tom & Lois Viars
www.vrbo.com/207287
www.vrbo.com/209753

04 40FT Alfa See Ya 1614
AND THE BEST WALLY-WORLD

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Doug for the info. We apply her flea treatment every 3 weeks, because she is almost 20 lbs. and heartworm every 4, because it is up to 25. Vet told us to switch from Heartguard Plus to Interceptor because it fights 3 internal parasites. So hopefully we are doing it ok. Never trust my memory, always put it on the calendar.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS