cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,300 REPLIES 32,300

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful news from the doc......Our prayers have been answered againnnnnn!!!!!
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think back of Levi and what a wonderful friend he was. He never met a stranger always wanting someone's hand on him. He too was such a gentle soul. When Fella came to live with us the two of them were like two peas in a pod. What a wonderful time the two of them had together.

The weather here over the weekend will be very much like summer with high's in the 80's. The nights will be warm enough to sit outside and enjoy the stars. I got a good report from the Doctor yesterday concerning my PSA. There was a concern last time I had blood work done that something was going on with a high white blood cell count and a PSA reading that had jumped up since the last blood work was done. He called yesterday to say things were back to normal. Must have been some kind of infection that healed on its own.

Anyway we are looking forward to a great weekend working in the yard and cleaning house. Yesterday I let Mama and Peaches help me in the yard and they stayed very close and didn't wonder off.

Lately I have been taking the both of them with me on short trips to town and so when the door opens and keys rattle they come on the run expecting to go with me in the truck. Peaches rides on the front seat while Mama takes up the rear seat. Peaches loves to watch people on motorcycles and bicycles. There is something about bicycles and motorcycles that gets her attention. Maybe in her other life she was a two wheel enthusiast.

Okay its time to get ready to face the day, talk with you later.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
The other day I was going through some photos on my computer with my Dad and found several of my beloved boxer-lab mix, Baxter. The photos showed his life from young dog, through middle age, to very gray, although only 10 years old when he died. I've been thinking alot about him lately. Although my female chow-mix, Brandi captured my heart and Baxter was always 2nd when she was alive. I look back now, and I see Baxter as the greatest dog. So loving, such a protector of any stray, and always playing 2nd fiddle to Brandi. Brandi got mean to other dogs as she aged, but Baxter never did, he loved everyone, especially people. The night he died, Dec. 10th 2008, I was sitting in the house when my husband went outside and called me out to look; up in the sky was a very strange and interesting constellation with an orange star! I immediately felt Baxter telling me he was okay. Everynight when I take my last dog, Wolfie out, I look up and see that orange star and feel comforted, Baxter is still watching over me. I miss him.
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dashonthedash wrote:
ljr wrote:
Dashonthedash wrote:
I don't know of any Irish in my ancestry, but my name backwards is O'ripahs. I am wearing a green shirt today.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!

My maternal grandmother was a Lutheran of German/Dutch ancestry. She insisted we wear orange on St. Pat's day. I've heard Irish Protestants referred to as "Orangemen" but I don't really understand what that's all about.

When in doubt, "wiki" it:

William III

That makes complete sense now. I doubt my grandmother knew most of that. I never did understand the Dutch connection.
Larry

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
Dashonthedash wrote:
I don't know of any Irish in my ancestry, but my name backwards is O'ripahs. I am wearing a green shirt today.

My maternal grandmother was a Lutheran of German/Dutch ancestry. She insisted we wear orange on St. Pat's day. I've heard Irish Protestants referred to as "Orangemen" but I don't really understand what that's all about.

When in doubt, "wiki" it:

William III
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dashonthedash wrote:

Larry

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer

Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
My paternal grandmother was from Ireland - a Brennen, The dogs and I leave Monday for Tallahassee to spend time with a friend. Then on to Panama City Beach and Dauphin Island. I am picking up a friend in Panama City at new airport! The dogs will have lots of new sniffs! BenBen has been to Tallahassee before and has friends there to play with. Willow has one time, but kept running off and not recalling. (large wooded area) She stayed home after that, but has to go this time. I think I will try to keep her tied up. BenBen is good and is always within whistle distance for recall.

The dogs already suspect!

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Yesterday was beautiful with very warm temperatures, today promises the same. The fur gang wanted to stay outside for most of the day soaking up the sunshine. Peaches is really becoming a Velcro dog lately. She follows me from room to room in the house and when I go outside she wants to go also, giving Mama some competition.

Yesterday I got together with Camping World on a new Montana fifth wheel, but when I came home to think about it, I just donโ€™t have a good feeling about it. I think I am going to wait on the outcome of the repairs to the Grand Junction before making a commitment to buy something else. Dutchman is having a new shower stall installed and I believe that will take care of the problem and besides that I really like the Grand Junction better than anything I have seen. The Montana in a thirty five footer has some draw backs and the only one left is a thirty seven foot. The Grand Junction at thirty five feet suites us just fine, so when I get it back next week we will take a trial run to see if all is well before jumping off into more debt and buying something I really donโ€™t want.

I am planning on having a great day today, dressed in green and looking toward the Irish side of the family. My Grandfatherโ€™s folks came from Ireland. His last name was Sweet and was changed to Sweat for some reason. Anyway they settled in Ware County, Georgia and that is where he met my grandmother who was a Tuten. They married and spent their whole lives in Ware County. My grandmother was a real live Saint, who lived the bible and kept itโ€™s word in her heart. I will always remember her sweet spirit and the way she always kept her family together. When World War II came about she watched and waited as two of her sons went off to war and returned home safely, always praising God for his care of the family. My Uncle Alex was given furlough from the army because of the two brothers that went off to war. I remember him telling how he would wait for letter to come so he could read about their war time stories wishing he were there.

Okay, I need to get moving, talk with you later, have a blessed day.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
It was a wonderful day in Ohio today. We had temps that went to 55 with really bright sunshine. It is still 42. Tomorrow it is to be mid 60's which will be the first 60 since Nov 23. Boy did the furkids like being outside today. They played so much that they had to take naps this evening. Hope everyone has a blessed rest of the week. Time for bed.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning. It is a bit warmer here this morning, but cloudy and overcast. The fur gang is ready for their walk after eating breakfast. Our grandson Joshua was hit in the head at the LeCrosse game the other night and suffered a concussion. He went to a doctor who said he should be okay. This is the second time this has happened so his mother said no more contact sports for him.

Our other grandson Austin received the news yesterday he had a 4.0 grade average so far this year. Holly, our granddaughter will turn 14 in a few days is waiting for the Spring Prom and is looking at dresses trying to pick one out for the ocassion.

I doesn't seem that long ago I was listening to Marty Robbins singing "A white Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation," while I was heading to the spring prom driving my customized 1956 Ford painted Candy Apple Red. I was so proud of that car. It was a very fast hot rod with a 430 Cubic inch Lincoln engine that had been bored and stroked while the heads had been ported and relieved. It sported twin 750 Holley four barrel carburetorsโ€™ with progressive linkage, the latest in technology. Inside the block was a roller Tappet cam. When tested on the dynamometer it was putting out 480 horse power at the rear wheels. I still have black and white pictures of it that I pull out and look at every once in a while. Okay, so much for the โ€œGood Ole Days,โ€ I am going to walk the fur gang, talk with you later.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Richard is "Waitin To Get On The Road Again":B:B:B It is a wet 34 here this morning. Starting tomorrow the temp is to start to rise a little with Thursday to be in the middle 60's. Woo-Hoo come on warmer weather. My clock must be ticking like Mama's because I can tell when the weather changes and also slow down. I just have to make sure I don't slow to a stop. I don't know who is more ready to go camping-Lori of the Dogs:B:B:B Have a good day and a safe rwest of the week..
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It is raining and cold here this morning. I took the fur gang out anyway and they were glad to get back inside. Yesterday I went to a local grocery store and bought a roasted chicken to lunch. Oh my gosh was it good! We still have some left, does anyone want to over for lunch today?

Sue made mention yesterday that Mama's clock was ticking. She surely has slowed down lately showing her ache's and pains. Then there are times she goes like a young kid trying to keep up with the rest of the fur kids. I will be glad when summer gets here and we can start our trip to Branson. I always enjoy traveling. I think I enjoy getting there more than being there, there is the adventure of being on the road that I like.

The issue with the camper is still up in the air waiting on a shower stall to arrive. Maybe this will be the last issue we will have and will enjoy carefree camping for as long as we own it, I hope so.

Okay, I am going to settle back with a good magazine and read the morning away, talk with you later.

Wife Sue

dturm
More often than not the animals become stressed with the euthanasia. Most are reacting to the distress we owners are going through. I'm not convinced that all animals instinctively know what death is or what is going on. I've heard enough stories that I think it is possible, but I think it's more common for them to react as a 2-3 year old child does. They may miss the companionship but can't conceptualize death and the permanent loss.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
When Levi passed it was so sudden I hardly had time to think about anything. Then when Fella passed it was in an emergency clinic and there wasn't time to catch my breath let alone think of anyone or anything else. When Charlie passed I was so distraught once again I couldnโ€™t think about anything else but him.

Izzie missed Levi and went from room to room looking for him for days. Fella in his own way grieved over his buddy for about a week. Suzie and Peaches acted as if nothing was different.

Wife Sue