cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Dan, Anna looks like a real snow dog! Richard, you were a real natural in that interview! I wish I could join you all in NM but I have job to go to now! (I was out of work from early May till a couple weeks ago, and I'm about 15-20 years shy of retirement!)
I have to hijack the thread momentarily and tell you our Ohio snow & weather story. Our family lives in San Jose, CA. My wife is originally from Cleveland, and we were visiting in early October 2000 for my niece's Bat-Mitzvah. On Oct. 4th it snowed, a cold, wet, snow that stuck and accumulated an inch or two. One of my then 8 yr old twins ventured outside to make a snowman. (In October!) After about 10 minutes he had managed to create a small snowman and he came in the house. "My hands hurt!" he said. I looked and they were all red - from the cold. "Didn't you wear gloves?", I asked. He looked at me with a completely blank stare. He had no idea why that was important, and no clue that it was the cold that made his hands hurt! The problems with growing up where it's warm! We still laugh about that episode.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread!
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
After a 6-8" snowffall and a little drifting below is a picture of our southern belle. Richard, I don't think she minds it.:B:B It is 18 with a windchill of 3 and still snowing.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogdiva wrote:
Richard Fella would be so proud of you and that interview!!!!!!

Thanks. Some times it's as if he is still here with us.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Richard Fella would be so proud of you and that interview!!!!!!
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, there is one big plus for the cold Indiana (and much of the north) is getting this year, a lower flea and bug population come spring. So in order for the bug world to balance itself we need a cold winter. So for all of those that remain in the cold (and not turn chicken and head to Az, FL or TX for winter like us) hang in there SPRING is coming. And one more thing, Missy does not miss the snow and cold at all, she is into more walks that comes with the warm weather.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
You all are making me feel guilty, it's 50 here in Yuma and I actually needed to put on a windbreaker to take the kids out. We're looking close to 80 this weekend, sorry. It's tough but someone has to do it.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Well Doug and Dan, we're supposed to get up to a foot tonight in this area. Looks like we'll all be digging out in the morning.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

W7SFO
Explorer
Explorer
Great interview Richard!
Ryan,
Spanaway WA.
2001 Sunnybrook
See me on Facebook!
Enjoying camping every chance I get.
Enjoy meeting other folks in the area to camp with.

dturm
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Having been born and raised in the Deep South I have become accustom to the hot summers and mild winters, which is to my liking and I can understand people becoming addicted to the climate in which they are born and raised, but I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can enjoy such severe cold weather with temp's' below zero or anywhere below freezing for long periods of time.

When Sue and I first married she took me to Michigan for Thanksgiving one year. We decided after that Michigan was a summer trip and I have enjoyed that very much. With our heated homes and automobiles and winter apparel, heavy coats and boots and such, I often wonder how in the world did the American Indians survive the harsh winters of the forzen North? Just call me a wimp I guess, maybe I am when it comes to the cold, but I will take a winter day at 45* and sunshine knowing that the next day may be in the 70's and praise God that he chose to plant me in the Deep South.

You gave me a good chuckle. :B The older I get, the less I like this stuff. This winter has been a bad one for us (I know you guys in Canada and northern US have it worse) but lots of snow and too many days below 0. Looking forward to a trip south in the near future.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having been born and raised in the Deep South I have become accustom to the hot summers and mild winters, which is to my liking and I can understand people becoming addicted to the climate in which they are born and raised, but I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can enjoy such severe cold weather with temp's' below zero or anywhere below freezing for long periods of time.

When Sue and I first married she took me to Michigan for Thanksgiving one year. We decided after that Michigan was a summer trip and I have enjoyed that very much. With our heated homes and automobiles and winter apparel, heavy coats and boots and such, I often wonder how in the world did the American Indians survive the harsh winters of the forzen North? Just call me a wimp I guess, maybe I am when it comes to the cold, but I will take a winter day at 45* and sunshine knowing that the next day may be in the 70's and praise God that he chose to plant me in the Deep South.

Wife Sue

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
That was a great interview Richard.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

silverdunes
Explorer
Explorer
"Again Mr. Weatherman has told us of upcoming events that are not to my liking. 19* out now with windchill of 8* but winter storm advisory this evening through tomorrow evening with possible of 4-6" prior to tapering off"

I do understand the pain, Dan, here in the Eastern township, we are targeted for more than 6" close to 10" ( I live in the mountains). Winter is very long and I could not wait to go to New Mexico, as I often do every spring. Unfortunately I had to cxl my trip, this year...and I was so looking forward meeting many of you from this thread, and your puppies and kitties.

Richard, I am very please of the exposure that you have obtained with this broadcast and the award. FOOF's in Cda have been following this thread and contributed to the Old Fella Legacy, and I am sure they are happy that Old Fella and the mission you undertake has brought you RV'er of the year.

I will be participating in a rally in May but I am not sure of making the one in June in Ohio.... I am still working, not a snowbird yet....and my schedule is not as flexible as I would want it.

Keep the good work, and this thread running! Hope you have time to write your book in your busy life!
Silverdunes
Outfitter Caribou, Silverado 2004
Silversand and 2 stay@homecats

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great interview. Now we need to get you on the Mike & Juliett show.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

dturm
Wonderful news clip. Again Richard comes through!!!
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

det62
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Interview on CBS News Channel 12 Augusta, Ga.

Awesome interview....you are a natural ๐Ÿ™‚
Hopefully CBS itself will pick it up and send it nationwide !!!
1994 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 foot Class A

Debbie (owner, pilot and navigator):B
Steve (campfire starter):Z
Matthew - age 17 Got Fish ?? :@
Rebecca - age 16 Got Wi-fi ?? :h