cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
leftnoright wrote:
Don't you wish all people were like us and held such love in their hearts for the animals of this world? What a happy forum we have! I feel blessed to have been a part of this story. And I feel blessed to know people like all of you and people like Rich. And dogs like Old Fella. I have a couple of things in my life right now that are bothering me but I can always come to this forum and reread this story and it just uplifts me. Wish I could make it to the rally.

I feel like you do Linda, Its been such a pleasure reading Old Fella story and all the love of the forum people.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

leftnoright
Explorer
Explorer
Don't you wish all people were like us and held such love in their hearts for the animals of this world? What a happy forum we have! I feel blessed to have been a part of this story. And I feel blessed to know people like all of you and people like Rich. And dogs like Old Fella. I have a couple of things in my life right now that are bothering me but I can always come to this forum and reread this story and it just uplifts me. Wish I could make it to the rally.
Linda(poster)
Fred (the innocent husband)
Jordan (Shih-Poo Rescue)
Mitzi (Pom now with Rainbow Division)

Kim_s_Caboose
Explorer
Explorer
Barb,

I can relate to your feelings of having an older pet. I have a dog (Rusty) that's 16.5, totally deaf and can hardly see. He is wobbly and staggers. He can no longer hold his leg up to pee so he kinda squats and goes where he's placed outside. I've covered his room with pee pads since he can't make it through the night. I know that day is coming too, but cherish each additional day he's still with me as I'm sure you do with Tillie.
Kim with DOTL Minpins, Spc. Rusty and Spc. Cappi
2005 Ford F250 Lariat, PSD, FX4, Crew Cab, Reese 16K slider
2004 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T, twin Honda EU2000i
Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
I just sent an email to the KOA in Cherokee telling them that Old Fella was coming the 21-24 of October for his first camp out with his new family. Old Fella is doing great. He just had to run for cover. Sue got after him for eating the cat's food. When she clapped her hands and stomped her foot and shouted "NO!" he took off running and came straight to me for protection. He got behind me and my chair with his head out looking back at Sue. "Save me Dad, Save me!!" And I did with a laugh. He has been such a joy since he has come to live with us and it brings such happiness to see him becoming more settled every day with his new home. He just decided to sprawled out at my feet to get his belly rub. You should see him when we go for our afternoon walk. Head held high, tail sticking up like a flag pole and ears up, ever attentive to the new noises around him and those ever searching eyes looking at all the new adventurous things that are now his to gaze at.

I thank God every day that I went back and got Old Fella and I have you to thank for all the encouragement I received to carry out this rescue and watch the love that has poured out in this forum give an old dog life and another chance at being loved and cared for. Thank you so much.

Thanks again Rich for your updates. I always look forward to hearing how Old Fella and your family are doing. What a delite to hear how he has settled in. His hiding behind "dad" was too funny. These posts are uplifting for me because we are on a slippery slope right now with one of our old cats. She is going on 20 yrs and is just hanging in there right now. She is starting to have accidents for the first time in 20 years. She is eating very little and is getting very wobbly when she walks, sort of staggers..:( It makes me sad to know that we may be near to making a decision concerning our Tillie.. Old Fella's story makes the day brighter. And looking forward to an Old Fella Rally is nice. Thanks again....Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
I just sent an email to the KOA in Cherokee telling them that Old Fella was coming the 21-24 of October for his first camp out with his new family. Old Fella is doing great. He just had to run for cover. Sue got after him for eating the cat's food. When she clapped her hands and stomped her foot and shouted "NO!" he took off running and came straight to me for protection. He got behind me and my chair with his head out looking back at Sue. "Save me Dad, Save me!!" And I did with a laugh. He has been such a joy since he has come to live with us and it brings such happiness to see him becoming more settled every day with his new home. He just decided to sprawled out at my feet to get his belly rub. You should see him when we go for our afternoon walk. Head held high, tail sticking up like a flag pole and ears up, ever attentive to the new noises around him and those ever searching eyes looking at all the new adventrous things that are now his to gaze at.

I thank God every day that I went back and got Old Fella and I have you to thank for all the encouragement I received to carry out this rescue and watch the love that has poured out in this forum give an old dog life another chance at being loved and cared for. Thank you so much.

That is very heartwarming! He's got some personality!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just sent an email to the KOA in Cherokee telling them that Old Fella was coming the 21-24 of October for his first camp out with his new family. Old Fella is doing great. He just had to run for cover. Sue got after him for eating the cat's food. When she clapped her hands and stomped her foot and shouted "NO!" he took off running and came straight to me for protection. He got behind me and my chair with his head out looking back at Sue. "Save me Dad, Save me!!" And I did with a laugh. He has been such a joy since he has come to live with us and it brings such happiness to see him becoming more settled every day with his new home. He just decided to sprawled out at my feet to get his belly rub. You should see him when we go for our afternoon walk. Head held high, tail sticking up like a flag pole and ears up, ever attentive to the new noises around him and those ever searching eyes looking at all the new adventurous things that are now his to gaze at.

I thank God every day that I went back and got Old Fella and I have you to thank for all the encouragement I received to carry out this rescue and watch the love that has poured out in this forum give an old dog life and another chance at being loved and cared for. Thank you so much.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
We are open for either. Someone said June could be cooler but since we've never been to Branson, we don't know. What ever works for most folks is fine with us....Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, folks, Please see page 8 on the rally Page to see place the place choosen, and then 2 sets of dates to vote on.
here is a link.
Old Fella Rally
Thank you for your help and input.
Lynn
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snookie wrote:
I have been following this story from the beginning and it so touched me that I forwarded the link to it to my non-RV'ing, but pet owning friends, and even some who I just knew would enjoy the story! I was right, everyone is coming back day after day to keep tabs on Old Fella. Now here's the kicker, two of our friends called us about Rv'ing! I think they're really interested after seeing how many wonderful people responded to this story and what a wonderful "community" we are. The story just keeps getting better and better. Rich, there is surely a special place in heaven for you! I'm going to see what I can do to make sure we're at the rally. Our little furkid would love to meet Old Fella.

Please help us decide what month is best June or August. And then come and be a part of what I believe will be one of the best rallies there has ever been. Old Fella has made a lot of friends that he would like to meet. You will love what you see when you meet this old boy. He has the best attitude of any dog I have ever seen.

Wife Sue

RUSTER
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, oh boy, can you ever tell nice, kind, loving people by the way they treat animals. I really enjoyed reading the comments about this dog story. Wish I was near and could help in some way. I'm sure from what I just read this dog will be a happy camper for the rest of his days. Keep your loving kindness flowing!
Ruster

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
needsomefun wrote:
Hey Rich you're gonna have to figure a way to post from the Smokies, we'll be needing to know how the Old Fellow is doing!!

If the KOA there has an internet room I will give a report Sunday the 23rd.

Wife Sue

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Rich you're gonna have to figure a way to post from the Smokies, we'll be needing to know how the Old Fellow is doing!!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old Fella is doing well as I write tonight. He has had a great day. I am excited about our upcoming trip to Cherokee, North Carolina October 21st. This will be our first trip together and I just can't wait to see how well he likes being out and traveling with the family. He will get to meet Our daughters and their families for the first time. He is so excepting of everything that has come his way so I am expecting a great reception at meeting the rest of the family. He is proving to have a great personality even after all he has been through. So far I have not seen anything that would cause me to be concerned about his behaviour. All he needed was some TLC and a place to spend his golden years in a loving home.

Wife Sue

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, we Thank you, for letting us be involved in this. It is truly amazing on the out come of this, and so many wonderful people. I wonder if this was a person it would have been like this. I think people get more attached to furkids, then people sometimes.
Lynn
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
smurf764 wrote:
Wow!

What a story!! I just finished it from start to finish!

It was like a book that couldn't be put down; but it was put down only to feed my furkids--I delayed dinner for me!

Richard, I do have a question for you; what did your vet say about all the interest in Old Fella? I doubt if any vet has had such a grass roots "star" in their clinic!

I hope that there will be more rescues because of "Old Fella"

Dr Gradous was baffled by the generosity of so many people from so many places. The staff asked me how in the world did I get such response. I told them all I did was let the people of this forum know about Old Fella and the rest is history.

I have never in my life seen such generous people as I have seen here. If there is any praise deserved here it is not for anything that I have done, but the love these gracious people have shown in saving this tired old stray by giving from their hearts, encouragement and from their pocket book, the financial help that was needed. If I life to be one hundred years old I will always remember this great time of my live to have witnessed and participated in such a great effort.

Wife Sue