cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,298 REPLIES 32,298

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
I am so glad Buddy and Suzie are playing and giving you some rest
When I started putting things in the MH I made a diagram/list of the location of stuff It has really helped me over the years to keep things organized. Hope your visit to the dr goes ok and your tootsie is ok
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now that Buddy has a playmate, maybe he will calm down a little. ๐Ÿ™‚

Organizing the RV is always a challenge.:)
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It is still raining.:? The fur gang is getting stir crazy. It has been raining for three weeks now with no sign of let up. Everything is wet beyond measure. The yard is like soup. Suzie and Buddy have become friends, playing together non stop since Friday. It took a while for Suzie to warm up to Buddy but now they are enjoying each others company.

I have a lot to do today and I am sure I will be sitting with my foot in the air or in a bucket of water after my visit to the doctor.

Yesterday we finally got the motorhome organized inside with some room to spare. Some items were too big to fit anywhere in the kitchen area so Sue improvised with her organizational skills and found places for that part of the cargo outside of the kitchen, however anywhere in the motorhome is just a step away no matter which direction you go.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, you need to get Buddy to understand when its time to Play and when its not time to play....He is a smart guy , if you take him outside and tell him ITS time to play.... throw a ball or something then when you come in tell him its NOT time to play HE SHOULD UNDERSTAND AFTER A FEW TIMES
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hoops wrote:
Richard, have you tried any type of pheromone spray or collar they have out there? It helped our Missy when she was too hyper. Not expensive at all and it would help with the energy until Dec.

Richard, the shock collar may calm him down. My younger guy, Rocky, loves to jump all over folks when they visit, can't get him to quit it, so I put his bark collar on and it settles him down. The batteries are dead but he doesn't know it. You could use the one with a remote on it, after a few zaps I'm thinking Buddy will get the idea. It's worth a try. Just leave it on him all the time and take it off when he calms down. Eventually he'll get the message. On my older girl, Cookie, all I need to do is show it to her.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes Hannah will wake me in the middle of the night wanting to play or just be petted. This morning, she only wanted to go outside in the yard to play in the sprinkler. Of course, then I have to wipe her dry after she gets soaked. It is worth every lost minute of sleep or quiet time to see the joy and pleasure she gets just being here.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Uppercrust wrote:
How is life with Buddy going?

Good morning everyone. Life with Buddy is a challenge to say the least. This morning I am exhausted. Last night was not a good one as he was very active during the morning hours causing Suzie, Peaches and Hobo to disturbed. I went to the deacon's meeting this morning but came back home before Sunday School and church.

Wife Sue

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
How is life with Buddy going?
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, have you tried any type of pheromone spray or collar they have out there? It helped our Missy when she was too hyper. Not expensive at all and it would help with the energy until Dec.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Sandie_t
Explorer
Explorer
Sandy I read your posts and know how much you are hurting. Our prayers go out to you and Doug knowing in time your heart will heal and you will have beautiful memories of years past when youth was on your side and the sunrise each morning held promise of a bright day ahead.

You have a gift from God to be a special soul to those around you and we feel your love and care you have for God's creatures. You are fulfilling the promise of God in your tenderness and love you show to your family and to those around you. God bless you and have a great day.

Richard Thank You for saying that about me. I have love animals all of my life:) They are God's gift to us and the teach us how to love.

Sandy
Sandy

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good evening FOOFs.

The wife and I went to a RV show in Tampa today. Big mistake. Started looking at diesel pushers. Boy, they sure are nice but I got big time sticker shock. Looks like the dogs will have to be happy with the travel trailer while the wife and i save up some money.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Hannah destroyed the TV remote yesterday. I am sure it was revenge for posting an embarassing video showing her barking at a dog on TV. :B
Gary Shapiro
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It is still raining and early this morning was a heavy down pour for about two hours. The girls and large boy have the back yard all torn up and muddy around the steps. Today, well more of the same. Buddy continues to irritate Suzie, torment Hobo and Peaches. Izzie has stood his ground so he leaves Izzie to himself.

We are still trying to organize the motorhome. It is amazing the stuff we had in the Montana that we can't get into the motorhome. As you can guess it is all important stuff that we can't do without but we have not touched in a long while, it's was there for just in case.

Talked with Dan last night and he is doing well after knee surgery. He has a ways to go before he will be jumping fences, but he will get there.

Charles and Charlotte how are things in Texas? Gary love your posts about the fur gang. Sandy and Doug wish you well today. Farmer Jon be sure to join us next year in Sevierville for the Old Fella Rally.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur gang a hug for me today and be sure to tell someone you love them

Wife Sue

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Gary that is so true about puppies and young dogs.
Having pets is a priceless experience. It is one of God's many gifts to us.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
This morning, Hannah entertained me with her antics chasing the water from the hose while I was watering the (potential) grass in the yard. What a gift she is, with all of her puppy energy and so full of life and love. I know raising a puppy or adolescent dog can be a challenge, particularly for an older person, and Hannah is certainly no exception, but I had almost forgotten how much pleasure and joy they can give, and how much gratification as their little furry brains begin to understand what is expected of them. I can't wait to start training with her.
Gary Shapiro