cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
RIchard Be sure to warn Robin and your neighbor about the POISENing that has been going on in the neighborhood
Have a safe trip , will be thinking of you and hope you report in daily
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Butterfly Girl, why not let them stay in your RV since they are in door cats. Our two cats travel with us when we snowbird for 5-6 months and stay inside with no problems. Just a thought.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Butterfly Girl if that turns out to be your only option I would definitely call other Vets and explain the situation. That seems outrageous. jmho

Shirley
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Great news on the cats.....I wish I had some one to hep me out with my 2 cats....

we are being evicted from our office/warehouse....we have 2 older cats one is 11 years and the other we have had for 12 years and he was full grown when he adopted us...the have been living here all that time...SO are indoor cats.....we have spent the last month calling shelters, and rescue groups trying to find a home for them...but with all of the folks losing their homes here in our area the places are FULL plus it is KITTEN time...and we will not just put an ad in the paper for them because we live in a GANG city and they use cats to train their Pit Bulls...

we are NOT able to take them to our one bedroom apartment and risk the landlord evicting us out of there...we have 2 small dogs that we will be able to keep....

it is tearing us up with the thought of having the put down but we are at our ropes end and time is running out for us...we are supposed to be out by the 13th but we will be here another week at least getting everything out.....

Some of the rescue groups we talked to have said to have our Vet put them down rather than take the to animal control and all the trauma they will be put thru....our vet has never seen them and want $44 each for a pre-exam before doing it....then $109 each to do the deed....we are BEING EVICTED money is very tight for us ...

does anyone have some answer for us...we are in Oxnard Calif.....just north of Los Angeles....
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sue and I with Peaches and Suzie will be leaving early in the morning. Our daughter Robin will be staying at the house watching out for Mama and Hobo. Our very best neighbor will be checking in during the day while Robin is a work to make sure Hobo and Mama get to go outside.

Now that Cy has passed I am so grateful we were able to bring both dogs home with us when we did. Now lets pray that God will see fit for Sue and I to be able to care for them the rest of their lives. Mama and Hobo are so happy and both are feeling good. Today when Sue and I took the fur babies for a walk, Mama wanted to run and play, just begging to be let off the leash. Each time we walk to the City Park I can visualize the statue and see the children standing around looking at it.

I hope all goes well at the the Rally in New Mexico and I do hope we will get to see a lot of friends there. Okay, it's bedtime so I am going to hit the hay. I will let you know when we stop tomorrow night. Until then everyone have a blessed evening.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Can't say it any better than the comments above. Have a safe trip Rickard and Sue.
E.Texan

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Never doubt the handiwork of the Lord
Safe travels to all, stay between the lines.......
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, In case we lose internet connection, just wanted to let you know we are leaving Amarllo for the Roswell N. Mex area tomorrow morning. I have a friend down there that I used to work with. We will then be in Albuquerque on Tuesday April 14 awiting the arrival of Richard and Sue and the kids. We then are going to caravan over to the Rally spots in the morning. Everything has been going well except all the wind yesterday. Trying to keep going straight was a trick.

Gentle Spirit, Check with the Central KOA in Albuquerque and see if they have any spots. That is where I am to meet Richard.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all! I just found out that the ceremony at the Rally for awarding Richard the RVer of the year award will be Friday night, we have to be there by 6. I'm so excited - now just to plan the itinerary and see if there is actually any RV spots available for only 1-2 nights in Albuquerque - I figure if no spots are available we'll just stay at Wal-mart ๐Ÿ™‚

My husband has been working on the motorhome and the GPS went out, he fixed that, now is working on something else - sure hope we'll be able to manage coming. Will keep you posted.
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

yankeeblue
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely fantastic about the cats, and a happy ending for all..including Cy..I'm sure he would be very happy knowing ALL his furbabies found a safe and warm place to be. Praise Jesus for all the glory!
thank you for doing His work, Richard!

the statue is perfect! a lovely and fitting tribute!
2004 Prowler 270FQS "MY PRECIOUS"
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT quad 5.9L V8 360 tow package

"Happiness is but a state of mind. Any time you want, you can cross the state line."

We LOVE the RED WINGS! Go Wings!

Our 2004 Prowler photos

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
I had an interesting thought that no one else seems to have picked up on.....Richard had been posting that Momma had been "attached to his hip", following him around, even getting his pants off the chair and bringing them to her bed - I think she was in tune with Cy. Was it a miracle that Cy died just after all his animals found a secure place to go? Maybe it was just Gods hand at work using Richard as his pawn, I'm sure Richard doesn't mind....
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
CA POPPY wrote:
I have no doubt that Cy received the news about his cats all being rescued and with Mama and Hobo taken care of, he just released his earthly tether. It's often like that at the end; time and space and spoken language are no longer relevant. Thank you, Richard and Sue, for making his passage undoubtedly more peaceful.

I can't say anything more than what Capoppy said to express my feelings. Life is in deed strange sometimes.

Travel safe everyone.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I have no doubt that Cy received the news about his cats all being rescued and with Mama and Hobo taken care of, he just released his earthly tether. It's often like that at the end; time and space and spoken language are no longer relevant. Thank you, Richard and Sue, for making his passage undoubtedly more peaceful.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, this story just keeps on going! Richard, the statue is beautiful! It is so wonderful that Cy's cats have a safe place to go. And how amazing that Cy stayed on Earth until all his animals were safe. What a story, what a story.
Travel safe, Richard and all.
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the latest weather forecast for Albuquerque, straight from the National Weather Service (www.nws.noaa.gov), for next week:

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 71. Windy, with a southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west between 25 and 30 mph. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy and windy, with a low around 36.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 66.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 37.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 72.

Friday Night: A 10 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 67.

Saturday Night: A 10 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 37.

Sunday: A 10 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 69.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A