cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,282 REPLIES 32,282

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Farmerjon wrote:
Richard. In your story Click about a small towns efforts to reunite a girl and her lost dog. The dogs name was Buddy. Is that why you named this lost dog Buddy?

We were trying to figure what this dog's name was and my daughter Allison said he looked like a Buddy. When she said that his ears raised up, he cocked his head to one side and we knew that was his name.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Richard. In your story Click about a small towns efforts to reunite a girl and her lost dog. The dogs name was Buddy. Is that why you named this lost dog Buddy?
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Well Buddy is going to Joshua and Maddie when they get home in December. Sue and I will take turns as a tag team with eight hour shifts each. Yesterday was a good day. Everything went well with the fur gang as I kept Buddy busy. We walked a lot and played ball. He walks on the leash very well and doesn't pull.
Last night I lay on he couch watching TV and Buddy crawled up on me putting his head on my chest and went to sleep.

Suzie looks at him with disgust when he gets attention. This morning when Buddy starting roaming around in the bedroom Suzie jumped up in the bed with us trying to get away from his poking and trying to play. Then it was Peaches and Hobo's turn so I let them outside holding Buddy inside so they could take care of business. I decided it was useless to try and sleep any longer so I got up and started the day.

The girls have been fed as well as Buddy and now they are waiting on me to go for a walk. So I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Not much to say this morning trying to keep the fur babies quiet and calm and trying very hard to keep Buddy out of trouble. So I will close wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them. Prayers, yes prayers I need them for me and Buddy.

Wife Sue

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dixie Flyer wrote:

Sue's new truck.

Very nice looking truck.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

Sue and I have been talking about a motorhome so she could do some of the driving. We had about given up on the idea until she saw the Foretravel we bought.

Richard,

It's been years since I followed the Old Fella thread - early on we had sent you a seat belt harness for him; not sure if it worked or not.

Anyway - please consider joining us over on ForeForums for discussions on all things Foretravel. It doesn't compete or replace RV.net in any way, it's just a Foretravel-specific forum (with over 3000 members).

Michelle
2017 LTV Unity

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Dashonthedash wrote:
Farmerjon wrote:
Our dog run with the lawnmower (twice a day) was interesting this morning. I drive the mower and the 3 dogs run with me . Quincy's diabetes has blinded her but she enjoys trotting and running on our lanes and paths. This morning she started to go off trail and Bree bumped her back into the center and did that over and over as we ran along. It was interesting. She was actually looking out for her buddy.

Is Bree a herding dog?

Bree and Quincy are both Dobermans. That's why it was so surprising to see her herding Quincy into the center of the lane.
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't let Buddy anywhere near that truck! :B
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Farmerjon wrote:
Our dog run with the lawnmower (twice a day) was interesting this morning. I drive the mower and the 3 dogs run with me . Quincy's diabetes has blinded her but she enjoys trotting and running on our lanes and paths. This morning she started to go off trail and Bree bumped her back into the center and did that over and over as we ran along. It was interesting. She was actually looking out for her buddy.

Is Bree a herding dog?
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice!
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Sue's new truck.

Wife Sue

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I just came back from an hour at the dog park. Both dogs are tired and laid out. It may not last, but at least the house is quiet and all of us are happy.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Richard. Do you put Buddy in a kennel overnight and during the day when you can't watch him?
Quincy was a very hyper dog and it sure worked for her.
Today her soft kennel is her hydee hole and she sleeps in it every night for a few minutes or even all night long depending on how long she wants to stay in it before crawling into bed with us.

Gary said
"I don't agree with taping the mouth. Training should always be a positive thing. Positive reinforcement training promotes better long-term behavior and a stronger bond between dog and human."
I agree with that and I sure don't like the muzzle wrapping and sit stay for 4hrs. Placing the stuffing in the mouth with the mouth wrapped shut was dangerous.
Richard Buddy is not unusual and he can get past this but it takes some work.
We have had berserk border collies and they do get past it.
We had to go out and buy a 6ft tall chain link dog kennel to contain them when we couldn't be supervising them.
It wasn't a permanent solution the training and the dogs gaining maturity helped them to outgrow the need for it.
Buddy can become a wonderful dog.
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It is still raining here so we are waiting out the bad weather so we can get outside with the fur gang. I don't know about putting a piece of the carpet in Buddy's mouth and taping it shut. What's to keep him from getting choked or just swallowing the piece of carpet. That seems a little harsh to me.

At this point I don't know if we can keep Buddy any longer. Last night was a bad night as he was rambunctious and kept something stirred up during the early morning hours. He wanted to play with Peaches and Peaches wanted to sleep so there was a lot of growling and barking going on. I finally got up to let him out when Peaches bolted out thinking maybe she was leaving Buddy behind. On the way down the stairs they both tumbled down to the bottom step with Peaches yelping in pain.

Today I will spend time trying to find a home for Buddy or a shelter that will take him. Old Fella doesn't have any foster homes available so they can't take him. He needs the rest of his shots to be eligible for a transport to Salem Mass. and there isn't enough time to get that done by next week and beside the transport is full right now, so unless one drops out there is no room for Buddy.

We are down to one vehicle as Sue's old car which is now mine is in the shop and won't be ready until Friday, so I am limited to when I have wheels and can get around. While the weather is bad I don't dare take one of the Old Lincolns out for fear something could happen and then I would have a damaged car that most likely couldn't be repaired. Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue