cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,282 REPLIES 32,282

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I don't agree with taping the mouth. Training should always be a positive thing. Positive reinforcement training promotes better long-term behavior and a stronger bond between dog and human.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
the tape is not tight enuf to hurt the skin, just to keep the mouth closed
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

dwb619
Explorer
Explorer
What is the difference in "cotton tape' and using the duct tape like that creep in Charleston, South Carolina .
I AM sorry, but it sounds like ABUSE to me!

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
the first thing you need to do is get Buddy Neutered
then an obedience class, for control

I came home from work one day and it looked like it had snowed in my living room
Dixie, my dobie had chewed the sofa and all the white stuffing was scattered all over the room....I had just started obedience class with her so I called the instructor and this is what we did.....
wrapped her snout and mouth with cotton tape so she couldn't open her mouth, put a piece of the chewed material in her mouth before wrapping it.
Put her on a sit/stay for 4 hours......of course i had to be right w ith her to keep her on the sit stay as she would try to get up....IT WORKED SHE NEVER CHEWED ANOTHER THING,,,,,,You have to make sure the wrapping goes around the neck and muzzle as they will try to pull it off with the paws
you can use strips of old sheets for the cotton tape
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

vickiebec
Explorer
Explorer
That could be the reason he was put out to find a new home.
Vickie Wallis
Roseville, CA
2010 Mini Cooper Convertable

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Wherever Buddy ends up, I hope he will be neutered soon. Those raging hormones are probably not helping a bit. I feel so bad for Sue, too, as I know how it is to lose those lifetime treasures that have such special meaning.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Today was an exciting day and then it was a disaster for Buddy. First Sue bought he a new Ford F150 pickup truck. It is a beauty, Ruby Red crew cab with a short box with most of the bells and whistles. She will have to go to college to get a degree to learn how to operate the thing. Got home let Buddy out of the kennel crate and took him outside from some exercise and then came back inside. I sat in my recliner and dosed off to sleep, I woke to the sound of chewing and tearing. I looked in the direction the noise was coming from to find Buddy had torn up, chewed up and destroyed one of Sue's prized rugs, one that cannot be replaced.
It was immediate and it was ugly my response to what I knew would be the last straw for Sue. Buddy's care and fostering had come to an end. I called the Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue and tried to book Buddy on the next transport to Salem Mass. The transport leaves November 10th, not enough time to get Buddy's shots. The next transport is in December when Joshua and his wife Maddie will be coming back stateside, so the decision was to keep Buddy until they returned. Of course this means no turning our backs on Buddy at any time and watching him more closely than before. I am going to rig a rope to the lawn tractor and run Buddy up and down the road until his tongue is hanging out about five times a day or until [1] I run out of gas or [2] I get tired and my tongue is hanging out.

Richard, doesn't someone offer obedience training in your area. You might find that with some professional contact, Buddy may be turned into a better obedient dog and save some of the destruction. Don't you think that it would be a great gift to Joshua and Maddie to come home to a trained obedient dog? I don't believe you want to pass the destruction onto the kids.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
What is it about puppies that attract them to rugs? Hannah is also a carpet connoiseur. It brings to mind a quote I have often heard from my dog-lover friends: "Why we can't have nice things". Dash was the most destructive pup this side of Marley, but he grew into one of the best dogs. Patience and watchfulness (and lots of work) are the keys (and the willingness to forgive). Good luck to you, Sue and Buddy.
Gary Shapiro
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today was an exciting day and then it was a disaster for Buddy. First Sue bought he a new Ford F150 pickup truck. It is a beauty, Ruby Red crew cab with a short box with most of the bells and whistles. She will have to go to college to get a degree to learn how to operate the thing. Got home let Buddy out of the kennel crate and took him outside from some exercise and then came back inside. I sat in my recliner and dosed off to sleep, I woke to the sound of chewing and tearing. I looked in the direction the noise was coming from to find Buddy had torn up, chewed up and destroyed one of Sue's prized rugs, one that cannot be replaced.
It was immediate and it was ugly my response to what I knew would be the last straw for Sue. Buddy's care and fostering had come to an end. I called the Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue and tried to book Buddy on the next transport to Salem Mass. The transport leaves November 10th, not enough time to get Buddy's shots. The next transport is in December when Joshua and his wife Maddie will be coming back stateside, so the decision was to keep Buddy until they returned. Of course this means no turning our backs on Buddy at any time and watching him more closely than before. I am going to rig a rope to the lawn tractor and run Buddy up and down the road until his tongue is hanging out about five times a day or until [1] I run out of gas or [2] I get tired and my tongue is hanging out.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:
I couldn't find that exact quote, but you did say, "He waited with faith that someday his turn would come and his faith was rewarded." Here's a link to the page with the quote:

That was close enough, thanks.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't find that exact quote, but you did say, "He waited with faith that someday his turn would come and his faith was rewarded." Here's a link to the page with the quote:

Gary Shapiro

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Help me find in the forum where I said about Old Fella, "It is now his turn." I need this quote for an article being written about Old Fella.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Hannah is a perpetual motion machine. She never learned the Laws of Thermodynamics :B
Gary Shapiro

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Dashonthedash wrote:
...I'm headed back to the dog park today, hoping I can eventually tire her out...
If Hannah is like Inga, then being "tired out" only lasts about 15 minutes or so. ๐Ÿ˜›

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is raining here very hard. There will be no outdoor actvities today.

Wife Sue