cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford's answers to the NHTSA 6.7 Investigation

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
There was a request for a link to Ford's answer's to the NHTSA investigation posted on a previous thread, since closed. Here is the link:

Ford's NHTSA Answers to the 6.7 investigation

This PDF is over 20 pages long. There are some interesting statements contained in the documents. My favorite is the one where Ford says they buy the pump from Bosch as a "black box" and do no testing of the component. It is closely followed by the tantamount admission that the pump will not provide a long service life when exposed to the poor lubricity fuel found in the US. You will have to do the math using the sales versus failure tables for the US and Canadian trucks. Eye opening difference to say the least...

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye
1,199 REPLIES 1,199

NewsW
Explorer
Explorer
Alright, while you are trading here...

I will be gone for most of this coming week... busy talking shop about fuel.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and may not be constituted as scientific, technical, engineering, or practical advice. Information is believed to be true but its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed / or deemed fit for any purpose.

Biggziff
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
Biggziff wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:
There is no update because there was never a problem to begin with. Just a few isolated incidents blown way out of proportion.

These chicken little threads remind me of lippert frames; one blowhard has a problem and now every product sold buy that company is doomed for failure.

Your complete lack of supporting data is very persuasive. :S

My google link showed little documented evidence anything major is actually happening. Most of the threads only talk about the one or two that actually failed. Perhaps you could post some of the massive amounts of failures you think are occurring.

I made *no* accusations. You however, did. If you're going to claim something is or is not a problem you should be prepared to back that up with data well beyond anything you've provided.
Me and my 3 girls
2013 Cougar 293SAB
2011 F350 CC SWB 6.7

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
Biggziff wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:
There is no update because there was never a problem to begin with. Just a few isolated incidents blown way out of proportion.

These chicken little threads remind me of lippert frames; one blowhard has a problem and now every product sold buy that company is doomed for failure.

My google link showed little documented evidence anything major is actually happening. Most of the threads only talk about the one or two that actually failed. Perhaps you could post some of the massive amounts of failures you think are occurring.

I think your give a damn is broken.

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
Biggziff wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:

Did you read the Ford and GM answers to the NHTSA investigation? If you did, you would have seen hundreds of Bosch CP4 series failures...hardly just the imagination of one blowhard:h

Your total GM bias, not necessary by the way, must be blinding you from the truth. But your company is coming through for it's customers. GM's pile of HPFP's over at Bosch were all covered by warranty...but carry on, the truth will always come out in the end...

Regards
Ricatic
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Biggziff wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:

NewsW
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:

Wiping out a 10 to $15,000 whole fuel system is a design defect. A HPFP needs to be designed that takes into account failure of the pump not wiping out the whole fuel system, from stem to stern... way, way, waaaaaay too much collateral damage. Damage should be limited to the pump being the only failure and the only item in need of replacing, and it should be accounted for in the basic design.

It was designed that way because it was not expected to fail.

Now that it has... what should they do?

When they probably don't have a fix for the real problem?

Should they retrofit a fail safe kit?

I'd be watching for that feature in newer models!
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and may not be constituted as scientific, technical, engineering, or practical advice. Information is believed to be true but its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed / or deemed fit for any purpose.

Biggziff
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:

Me and my 3 girls
2013 Cougar 293SAB
2011 F350 CC SWB 6.7

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
NewsW wrote:
Time for an update here.

Can everyone do a scan of other forums and see if there are new reported cases of failures?

Ford, GM are primary interest, VW next.

Did everything die down?

Which could indicate something changed.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854&page=6

Bosch pumps are not dying down on VW's, the 2011's are coming on with failures just now, look at page 6 listings. They are just now getting enough mileage to show failures.

Here is a list of failures by state, by no means comprehensive, just folks with failures that happened to find TDIclub on line and then decide to be included in Dwiesel's study. Many have not requested inclusion, for fear of retribution by VW while their pump was dead, in shop, waiting for warranty coverage.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293629

In my observation, it is irrelevant what badge or motor block this pump is hung on... it fails, with alarming regularity, and it only becomes an issue and really sucks when it happens to you. Sure, the odds may be low it happens to you, but if it does, I don't care how special it makes you feel, you still have a down vehicle and major inconvenience while all the parts get assembled to perform major surgery and do the fix on your vehicle.

Wiping out a 10 to $15,000 whole fuel system is a design defect. A HPFP needs to be designed that takes into account failure of the pump not wiping out the whole fuel system, from stem to stern... way, way, waaaaaay too much collateral damage. Damage should be limited to the pump being the only failure and the only item in need of replacing, and it should be accounted for in the basic design.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
NewsW wrote:
Time for an update here.

Can everyone do a scan of other forums and see if there are new reported cases of failures?

Did everything die down?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854&page=6

Bosch pumps are not dying down on VW's, the 2011's are coming on with failures just now, look at page 6 listings. They are just now getting enough mileage to show failures.

NewsW
Explorer
Explorer
Big Ray wrote:
catfishmontana wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:

Where are the GM problems?

I couldn't agree more.
Maybe Obama was part of it.

Now that you mentioned it, I need to see catfishmontana and gmcsmoke's birth certificate.

There is something in the oil drum pile there.

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:

I couldn't agree more.
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer

NewsW
Explorer
Explorer
Time for an update here.

Did everything die down?

OldGreaser
Explorer
Explorer
Question for Weibull,

Does your reliability toolkit support a Duane-AMSAA analysis? If your failures are dated you should be able to tell if the MTBF is increasing which could mean a running design change in the pump has been made. Just a thought, it's easy to ask others to do such things. I don't have that software anymore.

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
OldGreaser wrote:
Ricatic, was your 50 gallon Titan tank an issue during the warranty denial? Just curious, as I am running a 65 gallon Titan. Thanks for your time.

no...all parties knew it was there and it was never mentioned...there was no evidence of water ever being in the Titan tank. I believe Ford intentionally overlooked the Titan tank because to bring it into the equation would have only further destroyed the pitiful evidence that Ford used to screw me over...Shame on Ford

Regards
Ricatic
2009 Big Horn 3055RL