cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford's answers to the NHTSA 6.7 Investigation

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
There was a request for a link to Ford's answer's to the NHTSA investigation posted on a previous thread, since closed. Here is the link:

Ford's NHTSA Answers to the 6.7 investigation

This PDF is over 20 pages long. There are some interesting statements contained in the documents. My favorite is the one where Ford says they buy the pump from Bosch as a "black box" and do no testing of the component. It is closely followed by the tantamount admission that the pump will not provide a long service life when exposed to the poor lubricity fuel found in the US. You will have to do the math using the sales versus failure tables for the US and Canadian trucks. Eye opening difference to say the least...

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye
1,199 REPLIES 1,199

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
NewsW wrote:
ricatic wrote:
I see a profit opportunity....

And the natives will have no idea what ricatic actually said!

:B

Did I mean to say naives?

Yes we all know how great the 6.0 is, you told so.

NewsW
Explorer
Explorer
ricatic wrote:

And the natives will have no idea what ricatic actually said!

Did I mean to say naives?
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and may not be constituted as scientific, technical, engineering, or practical advice. Information is believed to be true but its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed / or deemed fit for any purpose.

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
Ricatic
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
NewsW wrote:
ricatic wrote:
who paid $50,000 of their hard earned money to buy the trucks.

Regards

Want to buy a super reliable 6.0 for $39,999?

I'll give you $5000 for it if you deliver it to my driveway.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
NewsW wrote:
ricatic wrote:

Regards

you so funny
Ricatic
2009 Big Horn 3055RL

NewsW
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

Not sure how it could make any difference, but am interested in what your thinking is on it

Speculation:

Could regen cause a fuel pressure / electrical event that causes the pump to fail?

Is there any connection at all?
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and may not be constituted as scientific, technical, engineering, or practical advice. Information is believed to be true but its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed / or deemed fit for any purpose.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
NewsW wrote:
Another call for information here.

Need to know:

Was there a DPF regen event immediately prior to failure?

If yes, was there any irregularities in the previous regens?

i.e. run longer than expected, etc.

For those who don't have a 6.7 Ford, tell me about the regen cycle and how it works on yours.

i.e. on GM, it is regen via dedicated fuel injector

What is it on VW, is it extra fuel injected at exhaust stroke into Combustion chamber?

Don't know about the VW. You are correct on the GMs dedicated regen injector. I have read that it is fed via a extra port off of the CP4.

Not sure how it could make any difference, but am interested in what your thinking is on it
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

NewsW
Explorer
Explorer
ricatic wrote:

Regards

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
I have a 2011 GMC and 2011 Mercedes dsl. Havent heard of this problem with these. What pump are they using ?

Don't know about the Mercedes warranty procedures and failure rates but GM's answers to these same NHTSA questions revealed that they had similar but slightly higher CP4 failure rates as Ford.

The difference...GM is taking care of their customers by fixing the failed fuel systems under warranty. Earlier in the discussion about the CP4 failures, I mentioned a "pallet full" of failed GM CP4 HPFP's sitting in Bosch's warehouse. I was told about these pumps by an unimpeachable source. The problem with convincing the GM faithful of the truth of this pallet full of pumps was there was virtually no mention of these failures anywhere. Thanks to the NHTSA investigation, we now know why there was a pile of GM pumps at Bosch...they had been returned for warranty reimbursement...Kudo's to GM for standing firmly behind the customers who paid $50,000 of their hard earned money to buy the trucks.

Regards
Ricatic
2009 Big Horn 3055RL

NewsW
Explorer
Explorer
Bosch CP 4

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 GMC and 2011 Mercedes dsl. Havent heard of this problem with these. What pump are they using ?

NewsW
Explorer
Explorer
mapguy wrote:
Also want the paperwork to reflect the proper warranty section and codes. Emission warranty performance is monitored by several agencies of power.

Auto makers tend to pay real careful attention if a consumer complains about emissions compliance and warranty coverage of this to the right agency (who bounce the complaint to the manufacture to fix).

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
NewsW wrote:
niner

There is some confusion under which warranties the HPFP and Injectors are covered under.

Here is the scoop:

Bumper to Bumper

Then Powertrain

THEN Emissions

Performance / Failure

Either Federal or California

The longest one by time / mileage is the emissions.

That warranty is the killer in terms of sticking manufacturers with fixing it.

A defective HPFP / Fuel Injection system mean they cannot pass emissions.

My experience is the following on a GM product. But the printed warranty always wins....
Bumper to bumper
Emissions
powertrain

EDIT - Also want the paperwork to reflect the proper warranty section and codes. Emission warranty performance is monitored by several agencies of power.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
NewsW wrote:

Need to know:

For those who don't have a 6.7 Ford, tell me about the regen cycle and how it works on yours.

What is it on VW, is it extra fuel injected at exhaust stroke into Combustion chamber?

Ditto any circuit flow diagrams of how this works (I'm not a diesel
guy)

Especially EGR circuit
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

NewsW
Explorer
Explorer

Need to know: