Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Wheel Crossing into Canada

santacrocemt
Explorer
Explorer
Hi:

We are going to be traveling from CT to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. We are staying at the KOA on Lundy's Lane. When I plotted our route through the Good Sam website I got a low clearance warning at Exit 21 after crossing the Rainbow Bridge. It looks like it wants us to take the R. Morse Parkway.

I would be interested in knowing if there are detour signs to avoid the underpass.

We have a Jayco Eagle and our height is 13'6"

Any other advice you have regarding packing/border crossing is appreciated!

Thank you in advance

Tricia
9 REPLIES 9

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
We Cant Wait wrote:
Well then you got lucky, we camp up near there in the US all the time and have several friends that camp there and are Canada and they have said that the only bridges they can use with RV's are the Peace Bridge and the Lewiston/Queenston bridges.

I cross it in either my class A or C probably 6 or 7 times a year, there's no problem.

The prohibition is on commercial vehicles.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
This, from Google Streetview, would seem to confirm there is no restriction on RVs . Streetview
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
Well then you got lucky, we camp up near there in the US all the time and have several friends that camp there and are Canada and they have said that the only bridges they can use with RV's are the Peace Bridge and the Lewiston/Queenston bridges.

I'll say again, they are wrong. Just to confirm and make sure that there hasn't been any recent changes I just called them directly. (1-905-354-5641 for Canadian side). The operator said that there are no restrictions in either direction, just use the appropriate lane marked for oversize buses and RVs
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
You CAN NOT take the Rainbow Bridge into Canada with a trailer, this bridge is for CARS ONLY. You must cross either in Buffalo on the Peace Bridge or in Lewiston NY on the Lewiston/Queewnston bridge. What ever bridge you use DO NOT use the Robert Moses Parkway, it has several low clearances and is for cars only also.

That's not true. You can cross the Rainbow Bridge with RVs, I have done it. They don't allow commercial vehicles (big rigs). See details here.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
You CAN NOT take the Rainbow Bridge into Canada with a trailer, this bridge is for CARS ONLY. You must cross either in Buffalo on the Peace Bridge or in Lewiston NY on the Lewiston/Queewnston bridge. What ever bridge you use DO NOT use the Robert Moses Parkway, it has several low clearances and is for cars only also.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just cross into Canada at the Peace Bridge and take the QEW all the way to the KOA?
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
The only low clearance on thr Robert Moses is under the North GI bridge.

Here us what I have told others to avoid it.

Once over the second bridge (the north GI bridge no toll) take the exit at the bottom, when on the exit stay straight to Buffalo Ave and turn left, go under the I-190 and turn left again (this avoids the low clearance under the GI bridge). The Robert Moses Parkway dumps you off in down town Niagara Falls. Go straight till it ends, and then turn left, until you get to the bridge to Canada

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Have you "driven" that route using Google Maps Streetview?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad