cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alaska weather and dehumidifier

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know some years are dry and some can be cool and wet. Do you use a dehumidifier in cool wet weather or would it just be taking up space.
5 REPLIES 5

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
It was cloudy and cool (again!) when we were in Homer last July, but certainly not so humid we would have needed any machine to take care of the humidity. In Skagway and Haines, we had a couple of cloudy, cool, misty days, especially up on White Pass, but also had sunny, warm, beautiful days. Since the wet periods were short in all those places, we generally dried out the next day.

But, when were in Anchorage, Portage, Seward, Soldotna-Kenai, and Valdez, we had absolutely clear and sunny, shirt-sleeve weather and I don't remember any humidity at all. And it's certainly not because I don't notice high humidity when I'm in it because we are from Colorado where the average humidity is less than 20%!

If you are going to ride the AMHS ferry to places like Ketchikan and Juneau, maybe you could use a dehumidifier. If not, my advice is to leave it at home.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what's driving the question, and without getting into a discussion of applied thermodynamics, while it can be wet in parts of AK (VERY WET in parts), it's "external" moisture, i.e. rain, not "internal" like the humidity here in downtown Ewe-stun.

Even in the rain, if you can open a window or door and have it protected by an awning or something, that should be all you ever need for dehumidifying, particularly if you have your fan going as well.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
No dehumidifier needed in Alaska for the summer. It never stays cool constantly in the summer so there are plenty of opportunities for leaving windows open to air out.
HUH?? Have you tried Valdez in July and August? LOTS of rain and dampness, but we don't use a dehumidifier, we use the heat pumps for heat. An occasional day in the low 70's but with the rain, fog and cool I wouldn't want the windows open. Absolutely outstanding fishing though, but while fishing the harbor we wear long underwear all the time and fish with hoodies up under the rain gear. Oh yeah, gloves 3/4 of the time. We've been up there in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2013.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
No dehumidifier needed in Alaska for the summer. It never stays cool constantly in the summer so there are plenty of opportunities for leaving windows open to air out.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
we bought two small compact ultra quiet dehumidifiers for our winter stay in the PNW. They seem to be doing a very good job of sucking the moisture out. They are smaller than a portable electric heater, so I plan to pack them away someplace when we move on in June.