cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vancouver to Banff back to San Diego

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, we're planning a trip to Canada from San Diego. We're planning on visiting Vancouver, BC and head east to Banff NP. We have already planned out from San Diego to Seattle, but need help the rest of the way. Especially between Vancouver and Banff. We plan on staying in Vancouver for a few days and then heading out to Banff. What is the best route to take, best sites to see and a good halfway point between Vancouver and Banff to stay (we know we can't make it in one day)? After a few days in Banff, we plan on spending some time in Glacier NP. We have the same questions for the route between Glacier and San Diego, what is the best route, any must see sites and good places to stop? FWIW, we'll be traveling during July in our TC. Thanks!!!
1995 Ford F-350 DRW 7.5
2014 Lance 1050S
11 REPLIES 11

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
Orion wrote:
Most direct route, 847km, is Hwy1 to Hope, Hwy 5 to Kamloops and then Hwy 1 all the way to Banff.
Vancouver to Hope is on 4 lane freeway, Vancouver suburbs, then rolling farmland past communities of Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford, with views of Mt Baker, 10550' volcano right ahead of you. To your right will be views of rugged Coast Mountains.
At Abbotsford, land becomes flat and the road turns and enters narrower part of Fraser Valley with Coast Mountains to your left & Cascade Mountains to your right. Just before Chilliwack you will have Fraser River off to your left. Very scenic lakes near Chilliwack & lots of camping.
Valley getting narrower with Harrison Hot Springs a few miles to your left and Bridal Falls almost right on the highway to your right. Pass right beneath the summit of Mt. Cheam. Road is now slightly undulating with Fraser River very visible to your right.
At Hope, take Hwy 5, the Coquihalla, and now you begin to climb, up through the canyons where the first Rambo movie was filmed. Impressive mountains near summit.
Begin long descent into Merrit, and you'll notice the trees getting smaller & the land drying out as you enter the grasslands.
At Merrit you can stay on HWY 5 and go back up into the mountains again or take the two lane Hwy 5A, (six miles longer) past some very pretty lakes, and historic settlements. Either way, there will bea big descent into Kamloops to rejoin Hwy 1.
After Kamloops, which is very dry and hot in the summer, You take Hwy One all the way to Banff.
A first alternative to this route is to take Hwy 3 at Hope and head for Osoyoos at the southern end of the Okanagan Valley. This route is mainly two, some four lanes, goes up & down a bit and is a bit twisty between the summit (Manning Park) and Princeton, but is very scenic all the way.
At Osoyoos, pronounced 'Oh soy eus', take Hwy 97 North up through the pretty but busy Okanagan Valley, with its bustling towns, vineyards orchards and resorts, passing by several lakes including the 75 mile long Okanagan Lake.You join Hwy one again at Sicamous. This route is about 100 miles longer.
A second alternative is to leave Vancouver to the north on Hwy 99 up through Whistler. This is about 50 miles longer than the direct route, but is very scenic. At first you drive along Howe Sound, which is actually a Fjord, but no one uses that term here.
Before you get to Squamish there is the huge rock mountain 'The Chief' and the beautiful Shannon Falls. After leaving Squamish, look off to your left for the stunning Tantalus Mountain Range. There are all kinds of spectacular places around this area, but I am not familiar how to get to them.
Whistler has all kinds of activities year round, or you could just take a walk around the village or go into one of the big fancy hotels for a drink or a meal.
Past Whistler and Pemberton, the road becomes 'interesting'! I have never taken my RV through here, but didn't notice anything too wild when I drove the car.
The last route, Hwy 1 all the way, is about 40 miles longer than the direct route and goes up through the Fraser & Thompson Canyons, is a mix of 2 & 4 lanes. Passes by Hell's Gate, where you can take a cable car across the wildest part of the River.
At Lytton you can see the very strange sight of the muddy Fraser & blue Thompson Rivers merging. This place is often Canada's hot spot with frequent 100+ temps. Ashcroft further along is BC's driest spot with a desert like 8" of rain per year.
Sorry to give you so many choices, good job I never mentioned all the alternate routes through the Kootenays! 😉

I like choices. Thank you!
1995 Ford F-350 DRW 7.5
2014 Lance 1050S

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Most direct route, 847km, is Hwy1 to Hope, Hwy 5 to Kamloops and then Hwy 1 all the way to Banff.
Vancouver to Hope is on 4 lane freeway, Vancouver suburbs, then rolling farmland past communities of Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford, with views of Mt Baker, 10550' volcano right ahead of you. To your right will be views of rugged Coast Mountains.
At Abbotsford, land becomes flat and the road turns and enters narrower part of Fraser Valley with Coast Mountains to your left & Cascade Mountains to your right. Just before Chilliwack you will have Fraser River off to your left. Very scenic lakes near Chilliwack & lots of camping.
Valley getting narrower with Harrison Hot Springs a few miles to your left and Bridal Falls almost right on the highway to your right. Pass right beneath the summit of Mt. Cheam. Road is now slightly undulating with Fraser River very visible to your right.
At Hope, take Hwy 5, the Coquihalla, and now you begin to climb, up through the canyons where the first Rambo movie was filmed. Impressive mountains near summit.
Begin long descent into Merrit, and you'll notice the trees getting smaller & the land drying out as you enter the grasslands.
At Merrit you can stay on HWY 5 and go back up into the mountains again or take the two lane Hwy 5A, (six miles longer) past some very pretty lakes, and historic settlements. Either way, there will bea big descent into Kamloops to rejoin Hwy 1.
After Kamloops, which is very dry and hot in the summer, You take Hwy One all the way to Banff.
A first alternative to this route is to take Hwy 3 at Hope and head for Osoyoos at the southern end of the Okanagan Valley. This route is mainly two, some four lanes, goes up & down a bit and is a bit twisty between the summit (Manning Park) and Princeton, but is very scenic all the way.
At Osoyoos, pronounced 'Oh soy eus', take Hwy 97 North up through the pretty but busy Okanagan Valley, with its bustling towns, vineyards orchards and resorts, passing by several lakes including the 75 mile long Okanagan Lake.You join Hwy one again at Sicamous. This route is about 100 miles longer.
A second alternative is to leave Vancouver to the north on Hwy 99 up through Whistler. This is about 50 miles longer than the direct route, but is very scenic. At first you drive along Howe Sound, which is actually a Fjord, but no one uses that term here.
Before you get to Squamish there is the huge rock mountain 'The Chief' and the beautiful Shannon Falls. After leaving Squamish, look off to your left for the stunning Tantalus Mountain Range. There are all kinds of spectacular places around this area, but I am not familiar how to get to them.
Whistler has all kinds of activities year round, or you could just take a walk around the village or go into one of the big fancy hotels for a drink or a meal.
Past Whistler and Pemberton, the road becomes 'interesting'! I have never taken my RV through here, but didn't notice anything too wild when I drove the car.
The last route, Hwy 1 all the way, is about 40 miles longer than the direct route and goes up through the Fraser & Thompson Canyons, is a mix of 2 & 4 lanes. Passes by Hell's Gate, where you can take a cable car across the wildest part of the River.
At Lytton you can see the very strange sight of the muddy Fraser & blue Thompson Rivers merging. This place is often Canada's hot spot with frequent 100+ temps. Ashcroft further along is BC's driest spot with a desert like 8" of rain per year.
Sorry to give you so many choices, good job I never mentioned all the alternate routes through the Kootenays! 😉
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google Maps sat view does a good job of showing where the mountains (highest with snow) and valleys are. Do a search on 'provincial parks' and you will see many in south part of BC. Most, though not all, have RV accessible camping. Notice also the many long narrow lakes, some natural, some from damming the Columbia River (and others).

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
Wow Thank you! This helps us out a lot. I have been mapping this trip using Google maps. Never been to Canada and had no clue what to do between Vancouver Banff.
1995 Ford F-350 DRW 7.5
2014 Lance 1050S

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny that you should mention Peter Lougheed Park in Alberta, and forget about Lougheed Hwy as an alternative route to Hope in BC. 🙂 That route on the north side of the river gives access to several of the nicest provincial parks in the lower SW mainland.

VE6JEP
Explorer
Explorer
Vancouver to Hope there is really only one road, the Trans Canada Hwy. From Hope to Merritt is a good route but then I would head East to Kelowna and head up the Okanogan Valley to Revelstoke. Kelowna or Vernon would be nice to toodle around in and stay a bit. From Vancouver to Kelowna or Kamloops if you go the other route are divided. Rest of trip to Banff is two lane only. West of Banff at Yoho park you may want to spend some time too... Emerald Lake is gorgeous and their is NP campgrounds in Field to explore Yoho NP... Lake Louise is a hop skip and a jump from here, but be sure to stop at the spiral tunnels (Canadian Pacific Rail) ... if you didnt do this while staying in Field. Banff park is great to explore. Full service campgrounds in town and some beautify no service ones up road to Lake Minnewanka. A short drive east of Banff is Canmore.. and access to the Smith Dorian road (gorgeous but would not recommend trailer..) that loops around to Peter Lougheed Park then back to Trans Canada hwy via Hwy 40. If you have the time for hwy 93 to Jasper it is spectacular with numerous campgrounds (most with no services but Pit toilets). Check out the Travel Alberta website for pics and more ideas... Best route to Glacier is via Waterton park... exit 161A to Hwy 2 through the Whaleback...just gorgeous but no services from Longview to Lundbreck... hope this gives you some ideas and help..

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there is any way to spend more than a few days in the Jasper and Banff areas, I highly recommend it. We spent three weeks there -- the most spectacular countryside I have ever seen:

(This was in Peter Lougheed, south of Banff, but you get the idea.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a week old thread about driving Banff to Vancouver. And lots of discussion of Banff and related routes on the Alaska/Canada board from past years.

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
From Vancouver, You could go east to Hope, then up the Coquilhalla Hwy. to Kamloops and continue east. A decent place for a stopover for the night would be around Revelstoke, then the next day continue to Banff. If you have time, go visit Calgary, Edmonton (West Edmonton Mall) west to Jasper and come back down Hwy. 93. Lots of beautiful country up there. Have a Great Trip!

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

Baxtersparents
Explorer
Explorer
Prowl around in here :
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154922-i80-British_Columbia.html

Road trip reviews can be found here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c184601/British-Columbia:Canada:British.Columbia.Trip.Reports.html

Lots of good info to check out..

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the great Hope slide. Stop and read what it says there.