cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AMMO THROUGH CANADA

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Can ammo be carried from lower 48 to Alaska and back?
Thinking of shipping gun from Montana to Tok,AK. Would like to not need to buy ammo.
Can ammo be shipped?
40 REPLIES 40

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shipping within the 48 contiguous United States is not a problem.

Bobbo, Are you buying it online in the lower 48 and having it shipped to Alaska ?

That is what the OP was asking.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
RVcircus wrote:
You can ship ammo < 50cal, but it may be cheaper to buy ammo in AK after factoring in shipping costs.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/packaging/guidelines/ammunition.html

TOMMY47 wrote:
Thinking of shipping gun from Montana to Tok,AK. Would like to not need to buy ammo.
Can ammo be shipped?

I don't think you could ship ammo.
Quote from the above link.

To meet the exception for Limited Quantity/ORM-D, ammunition can be shipped via UPS Ground only within the 48 contiguous United States, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska.

I often buy ammo online and have it sent via UPS to my door.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
You could (I believe) buy your ammo at a Cabelas in MT and pick it up in Los Anchorage. I don't believe Midway ships complete cartridges to Alaska.

As far as carrying it up in your vehicle, as noted above, too much of a PITA. Buy it when you get to AK.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
check Freedom Munitions. i think they'll ship to Alaska.
right now it's free shipping for Veteran's Day.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVcircus wrote:
You can ship ammo < 50cal, but it may be cheaper to buy ammo in AK after factoring in shipping costs.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/packaging/guidelines/ammunition.html

TOMMY47 wrote:
Can ammo be shipped?

I don't think you could ship ammo.
Quote from the above link.

To meet the exception for Limited Quantity/ORM-D, ammunition can be shipped via UPS Ground only within the 48 contiguous United States, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I will admit to not knowing the law regarding the ammo but if you can feasibly ship the gun from MT to AK in order to prevent any issues, that's what I would do. I would then buy my ammo at my destination. The costs of unknowingly getting into trouble will far outweigh any extra ammo expense. If you are using special hand loads, ask whoever you are shipping the gun to if they know of anyone who may do custom work for you.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
buy it when you get to AK.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
If it's handgun ammo I wouldn't even try. They will think you have a hidden handgun. For Alaska take a shotgun, declare it, do the paperwork, pay the small fee, make sure you have the ammo stored separate from the gun, and you're good. You are wasting your time if you're taking a handgun for bears anyway...not enough firepower, bring a 12 gauge. Besides you are just as likely to run into a grizzly in northern BC or Alberta as you are in Alaska.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II

TOMMY47 wrote:
Can ammo be shipped?
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the ammo, they're going to think you have a non-declared gun which means you could spend the day at the checkpoint while they search for it.

Had a friend returning to Alaska with a bunch of empty shell casings for reloading while he was home for the summer. He'd left the guns with friends in Washington. When they found the empty shell casings (and it's legal to transport them without declaring them) they spent hours searching him for the guns they of course never found.

Leave the gun home or south of the boarder, you don't need it. If you really think you do,buy a box of ammo up there.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
This info may be helpful to you.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html#P010