Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anchorage Motorhome Rentals

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

My dream of the last 50 years to drive to Alaska is apparently dead. My doctor doesn't approve, and my wife agrees.

Plan B is to rent a class C MH in Anchorage for two to three weeks. Does anyone have a recommendation for a rental agency? I've been looking at Clippership RV. But, they have several bad reviews and an F rating from the BBB. Cruise America also has an F rating.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Don
20 REPLIES 20

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered renting a car/van and staying in motel/hotels ?
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information and the link. I've read before about B&B, but didn't know they were that bad.

Still hoping to get to AK this year, even if it's in a rental. My heart is still into driving up, but that probably won't happen.
Don

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Good point. Thanks

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I would advise to go with a stable company for renting - one that will back you up in case of problems. Renting is expensive but for Alaska, don't try to cut corners. You want it to be a pleasurable trip.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had experience with RV Share in Anchorage, or anyplace for that matter? This outfit list privately owned RVs for rental all over the country. Some in Anchorage look interesting, and cheap. Need to be careful with getting what I pay for, though.

http://rvshare.com/rv-rental/anchorage/ak

islandpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
We rented years ago from ABC and have no complaints. It was our first rental and we were hooked. But one caveat. They only gave us three of those plush blankets, and since this was late May/early June it was not enough to keep us warm at night. We don't like to run the heater because it's too noisy to sleep. We rented several times after that in many locations and I always made sure there was going to be enough WARM bedding so we wouldn't freeze. If ABC still only supplies those plush blankets, you might want to bring sleeping bags or comforters or buy them locally.

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the suggestions. The Clippership one week tour is definitely out, but it's a good idea to get a copy of the itinerary for prospective stops.

Great Alaskan is at the top of my list for rentals. Now, I just need to work out a timeframe and make reservations for at least two weeks.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you're debating about a tour from Anchorage for one week I personally, would not do it. You can't get lost as there are only a few roads that a RV should travel. You basically just go in circle. Take the tour brochure and see what stops they make and do it on your own in your own leisure. Some places you may want to stay longer and some you won't even care about doing.

You really don't need reservations for campgrounds except for Denali Nat'l Park if you want to stay in the park itself or for the July 4 weekend. With a small rental you'll find spots to stay and you can even stay at a scenic pull-off for a night. You'll have a generator if you need it. Many folks do this.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto again on Great Alaskan. Rented from them twice and not a single issue. Also, the prices are surprisingly good when you consider what all is included that costs extra at other places.

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Probably just a rental, though a tour has been considered. That's one thing I kind of liked about Clippership. They have a one week all inclusive tour that sounds good, other than squeezing too much into one week (and approx. 1K miles).

Great Alaskan looks to have very good rates if I can pin down a trip over the next month or so. I'm still hoping to drive, but it's probably not going to happen.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking for a tour or just a rental? Great Alaskan Holidays is a good rental company.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions.

Clippership had a one week tour that sounds interesting, but it covers a lot of ground in one week. Plus their reputation stinks.

I'll check out Great Alaskan and a few others.

Hopefully, this will finally be my time to see Alaska.

Don

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
ABC. Last rented a TC from them in 2003 but it was a good experience.

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years, I suspect that GAH and ABC Rentals have gotten the best comments from forum members. Both are new RV dealerships as well as rental places. Most springs, both bring up new RVs to put in their rental fleets. They also sell off their used units after a couple of years locally, or ship the used ones back south to the lower 48 as the local market can't handle that many used RVs being for sale.

You will find a few bad reviews on any of the businesses. Somewhat like campground reviews. Or reviews of the condition of the northern highways. Just like beauty, all in the eye of the beholder. LOL I wouldn't dismiss some of the smaller rental companies, if after a through check of them, I felt they had the best rental plan to fit my needs. The two big companies, GAH and ABC, both make a lot of claims about how new their fleet is, usually two years old or less. But how many of us at home drive a RV that is two years old or less, I sure don't. Our 5th wheel is now 4 years old and our truck camper is 7 years old. One of them will go with us on our next driving trip to the north country.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".