cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Fire - Grand Lake Area

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fire just west of Grand Lake CO, forcing the evacuation of 300+ in the area. Fire is relatively small but producing a lot of smoke that's blowing into RMNP. Erratic winds have also been a problem.

A second fire in the area of the Grand/Summit County line not threatening any structures, but is in a large beetle kill area, and producing a lot of smoke visible from Silverthorne/Dillon area.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.
4 REPLIES 4

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Grand lake for the last few days. After watching them hit the fire will some tanker drops, the smoke abated quite a bit. We went into Grand Lake for dinner that night (Thursday) and the smoke really wasn't an issue. Busiest day we saw the whole week!
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
There is also a new fire just south of Ft. Garland that blew up to more than 2,000 acres overnight. US 160 was closed temporarily due to the large number of emergency vehicles using the highway. And the smoke will undoubtedly affect the Great Sand Dunes.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
CO is in big trouble this year. In the 1980s I had logging contracts with the State Dept of Forestry. We were taking out beetle killed trees. They suspended the program a long time ago. CO forests have been in rough shape for decades. The current drought is making it much worse. Be ever vigilant.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Fire just west of Grand Lake CO, forcing the evacuation of 300+ in the area. Fire is relatively small but producing a lot of smoke that's blowing into RMNP. Erratic winds have also been a problem.

A second fire in the area of the Grand/Summit County line not threatening any structures, but is in a large beetle kill area, and producing a lot of smoke visible from Silverthorne/Dillon area.

Think the dry winter is speaking up.

Thanks for the report,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach