cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park is now open for traffic, people are reminded that the weather at Logan Pass can be cold and windy so be prepared.
10 REPLIES 10

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
vermilye wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
IMHO one has to be a little crazy to drive that road especially going east where the lane is right next to the dropoffs.
Then you probably wouldn't like the drive to Crystal Mill in CO.

Jon,

Did you get a pic of the trucks at the bottom of the Road? I think you are showing o Wide Section of the Road it is actually, very Narrow.

Going to the Sun Road - we Drove it back in the 80's Both ways in a 28' GMC Class A - Narrow yes, but you slowed down, way Down, to get by people.

Oh how I love those beautiful drives through the Mountains.

Great Shot.

Do you mean this one?

It isn't all that bad a drive until you meet someone coming the other way. Keep going past the town of Crystal, and you hit Schofield Pass, a true "pucker" drive. Check this YouTube video of a trail bike ride over the pass.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We drove the Going to the Sun Road last year in a Toyota MH with 22Re engine. We didn't have any problems. The road may be narrow but I only need 8 feet of road anyway. I don't worry about narrow roads and no guard rail, I don't hit them anyway.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven it both ways. Most incredible scenery. Be sure and stop and explore in and around the lodges.
pawatt

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
IMHO one has to be a little crazy to drive that road especially going east where the lane is right next to the dropoffs.

Jon,

Did you get a pic of the trucks at the bottom of the Road? I think you are showing o Wide Section of the Road it is actually, very Narrow.

Going to the Sun Road - we Drove it back in the 80's Both ways in a 28' GMC Class A - Narrow yes, but you slowed down, way Down, to get by people.

Oh how I love those beautiful drives through the Mountains.

Great Shot.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
x2 2gypsies
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you normally stay on any road when you're driving then you can certainly drive on Going-to-the-Sun! ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drove it yesterday. Logan Pass trails are still snow covered, lots of snow laying around everywhere. It was 46 degrees and in the clouds. I recommend a clear breezy day for going to Logan Pass--you couldn't see anything.

Road surface is in EXCELLENT condition and looks like only a few fairly minor repairs needed on some turnouts.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Whaler
Explorer
Explorer
Been wondering about the road there. Leaving tri-cities Tuesday going to Lewiston for a couple of days. Been trying to decide where to next and Glacier is always on our minds. Never get enough of it.