cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arizona to Black Hills, then to Yellowstone

CantCampEnuf
Explorer
Explorer
I would appreciate comments on the route we are looking at... we need to hit 4 corners on way up and Ferron Utah on way back, which are several reasons for this path:

87 to 260 to 377 Holbrook. 191 to 160 (4 corners) to Cortez. 145 to Montrose and 550. 550 to 50 to Grand Junction. i70 to denver, i25 to 18 to 85 to Black Hills.

Return:
16 to i90 to Buffalo, then Worland and Cody. 16 to 287 to 26 through yellowstone and teton. 26 to 89 to i15. i15 to Hwy 6 to 191 to 10 and then i70.

We want to avoid any really steep mountain passes, as beautiful as they are - can someone give me feedback on any stretches of this trip that you like or dislike?

Thanks in advance.
Bob and Lynn w/6 kids(Girls 24, 18, 14 and 9; Boys 12 and 5)
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F150 Supercrew ecoboost

Dogs(Cookie-Yorkie) (Junior-Rat Terrier) (Chester-Golden) RIP 5/17/08

[purple]Rallys Attended: 1[/purple]
14 REPLIES 14

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
WYDOT construction projects on US16
http://www.wyoroad.info/pls/Browse/WRR.RoutesResults?SelectedRoute=US16

SD is also working on it where it passes through Jewel Cave area.

CantCampEnuf
Explorer
Explorer
CantCampEnuf wrote:
newk wrote:
I thought about your post today while in the Black Hills. Hwy 16 from Custer to Newcastle is undergoing a major reconstruction and is a bear! You should be able to make it, but be forewarned. You might want to consider taking Hwy 385 out of the hills.

Thank you. We just returned from yellowstone. We took i90 to north entrance and then through to south entrance. Worked great for us. I certainly would have felt we could have done 16. I would not try 14.

Sorry misread. Yes, we had heard while in Mt Rushmore area that 16 was under construction, so we headed northwest via 385 through Deadwood. Was not a bad ride. Thanks for post!

CantCampEnuf
Explorer
Explorer
RWDIII wrote:
Just returned from Mt Rushmore and Devils Tower.A local talked me into going on 385 through Deadwood.
I will never do that again.Came back through Rapid City to I90 then to Gillete
where we were staying.
cant believe how many RVs wewe going 70-75 on the Interstate.Followed one doing 80 for a while.
yes this was a car trip.

We too took 385 north to Deadwood and then to i90. My brother had told me 16 was under construction so we chose that route... it took too long, but was not a bad trip.

CantCampEnuf
Explorer
Explorer
newk wrote:
I thought about your post today while in the Black Hills. Hwy 16 from Custer to Newcastle is undergoing a major reconstruction and is a bear! You should be able to make it, but be forewarned. You might want to consider taking Hwy 385 out of the hills.

Thank you. We just returned from yellowstone. We took i90 to north entrance and then through to south entrance. Worked great for us. I certainly would have felt we could have done 16. I would not try 14.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from Mt Rushmore and Devils Tower.A local talked me into going on 385 through Deadwood.
I will never do that again.Came back through Rapid City to I90 then to Gillete
where we were staying.
cant believe how many RVs wewe going 70-75 on the Interstate.Followed one doing 80 for a while.
yes this was a car trip.
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

newk
Explorer
Explorer

newk
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 16 over the Bighorns (Buffalo to Worland) is a nice mountain drive -- not too steep or winding but scenic. Climbing out of Buffalo should be no problem. I think they call it a 7% grade, but I don't know where that came from. It used to be marked 6%. There are a few curves marked 35 mph but if you feel like taking them a little faster going up, no problem.

On the western slope descending into Ten Sleep you'll find a pair of 25 mph "hairpin" curves just after passing Deer Lodge and crossing Ten Sleep Creek. Keep it slow and round them at 25 and you'll be fine. Other than those two curves, it's pretty much a piece of cake. There are three or four pull-offs descending into the canyon, and I'd suggest that you use at least one of them. It's a good place to take a picture and check the heat on your wheels, but there are no more sharp curves after the pair as you first enter the canyon. It's a good 2-lane highway all the way across.

Cloud Peak Skyway Scenic Byway

From the mouth of Ten Sleep Canyon to Worland it's badlands territory -- hilly but mostly straight. From there to Yellowstone it's pretty flat as you'll follow the Big Horn River to Greybull, then high desert to Cody, then follow another river most of the way to Yellowstone.

CantCampEnuf
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Correct on the 145 to 550 - that is Lizard Head Pass and a wonderful drive and avoids the Red Mountain Pass section. This, in fact, is the route many, including myself, recommend to avoid Red Mountain Pass. Hey, it is mountains! Some winding and some hills but nothing serious.

We found this route and that stretch - ideal. Scenic, nice, and very doable. Thanks for the advice!

CantCampEnuf
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
What's a 'really steep mountain pass' for you?

Just looking for typical mountain driving. Avoiding the beautiful but tough sections with long, steep descents, on two lane roads with no guardrails... kids freak out. LOL

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Correct on the 145 to 550 - that is Lizard Head Pass and a wonderful drive and avoids the Red Mountain Pass section. This, in fact, is the route many, including myself, recommend to avoid Red Mountain Pass. Hey, it is mountains! Some winding and some hills but nothing serious.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to Jackson Wy, take the truck route, You'll avoid the busy intersection and the narrow road through town, with a lot of congestion.
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The route to Black Hills looks fine. 550 is no concern where you are picking it up. Can't comment on the rest as I have not driven those roads. I will add that the Colorado National Monument is worth a stop in Grand Junction.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not steep, but if memory serves, 550 can give your brakes a bit of a run in CO. And so can 16 over the Bighorns. As paulj asked, how steep is steep to you?
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's a 'really steep mountain pass' for you?