cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AT&T cellphone coverage In Nova Scotia and currency question

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
We use AT&T as our cell phone carrier. We also carry a mobile hotspot in the RV for wifi which also uses AT&T.
What's the AT&T cell coverage like in Nova Scotia?

The other thing I wonder about is currency. Should we exchange US dollars for Canadian at the border, or do Canadian businesses accept US currency?
I can anticipate that doing the exchange calculations for each transaction might be cumbersome. I plan to use the credit cards as much as possible and let them do the conversion.
Bob
30 REPLIES 30

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
bmwbob wrote:

Should we exchange US dollars for Canadian at the border, or do Canadian businesses accept US currency?

Do the US businesses in your area of Florida accept Canadian currency from the Canadian snowbirds who come to your area of Florida?

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
bmwbob wrote:
I just spoke with the AT&T folks and they confirmed no coverage up there.
They said that since our phones were "off contract" we could go online and get them unlocked, then try to find SIM cards that work in Canada. Yeah, right.
That settles it. I'm NOT going to drive the rig to some place where I have no cell phone communication, and no web access other than depending on some business we might be able to limp to should we have an issue with the rig. I belong to all of the road services, and have spent a bazllion bucks getting and keeping the rig in top shape, but you just never know. All it takes is one stray moose to derail the best-maintained RV.
As an aircraft pilot, former skydiver, and amateur racer of just about everything with a motor, I am NOT naturally risk averse, But, I also am not a big fan of being at the mercy of the Canadian equivalent of the "Good Ol' Boys Saloon and RV Repair" in Whatchamacallit, Nova Scotia.
As a young guy, traveling by myself in a car or on a motorcycle, armed with just a map (no GPS), I went everywhere. Driving the RV with my wife onboard is a different matter.
So, I guess spending July in Maine will have to do for our northeastern experience.
Nova Scotia will just be viewed through the eyes of those who have been there before.
Bob

Good stay home! I find the Canadians wonderful people and enjoy traveling there. Your AT&T cell phone will work in Canada- they use the same technology as in the US. You will, however, pay a per minute roaming rate, and, if you use data on your smartphone, it will be costly.

But please stay home. Old grouches spoil the experience for everyone else.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
This is from AT&T'S website. Seems pretty simple to me. I do the same when travelling to the US. I buy a US travel plan.

AT&T has roaming agreements with all 3 major carriers in Canada.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking into taking a car ferry ride over from Maine and doing a hotel for a couple of days. That way we can get around to see the sights while leaving the RV in Bangor.
I can go off the grid for a couple of days comfortably.
I worked in (radio) communications for 40 years and seem to have developed an aversion to being out of contact for extended periods.
Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bmwbob wrote:
They said that since our phones were "off contract" we could go online and get them unlocked, then try to find SIM cards that work in Canada. Yeah, right.
That settles it. I'm NOT going to drive the rig to some place where I have no cell phone communication, and no web access other than depending on some business we might be able to limp to should we have an issue with the rig. I belong to all of the road services, and have spent a bazllion bucks getting and keeping the rig in top shape, but you just never know. All it takes is one stray moose to derail the best-maintained RV.
As an aircraft pilot, former skydiver, and amateur racer of just about everything with a motor, I am NOT naturally risk averse, But, I also am not a big fan of being at the mercy of the Canadian equivalent of the "Good Ol' Boys Saloon and RV Repair" in Whatchamacallit, Nova Scotia.
As a young guy, traveling by myself in a car or on a motorcycle, armed with just a map (no GPS), I went everywhere. Driving the RV with my wife onboard is a different matter.
So, I guess spending July in Maine will have to do for our northeastern experience.
Nova Scotia will just be viewed through the eyes of those who have been there before.
Bob
With that attitude you've made an excellent choice for the Canadians.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Your serious? AT&T doesn't work in half of Maine either. If you can't afford to pay a roaming charge in an emergency maybe you shouldn't go so far from home.

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
bmwbob wrote:
Bob

I am not sure if something changed recently but there is/was coverage in Canada. But "Technically" AT&T does not have coverage outside the USA, but they have partnerships all over the world to do Roaming. In most parts of Canada you will/would Roam onto the Rogers network with an AT&T SIM and be charged additional fees to Roam. I would call back and ask them the question again differently... ie what are your Roaming rates to Canada and what network do you Roam to in Canada. The biggest issue now is with LTE, different carriers are using different frequencies so although you will get voice you may only get 4G, 3G or 2G data in parts of Canada.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
bmwbob wrote:
Bob

Think that's a first for me. We are not a third world country.

You can buy a prepaid Bell phone and minutes at Walmart for around $100. Bell has almost 100% coverage in Atlantic Canada.

Since you spent a bazilion dollars on your RV, whats another $100?

We also have many very qualified and reputable RV repair services.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use a credit card with no transaction fees and you won't need much cash. One of ours also has 5% cash back on fuel including Canada. The exchange rate is always current.

For $15/month extra with Verizon we get Canadian phone coverage activated only while in Canada. Data is expensive so we just used WiFi when available.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
There will be zero AT&T coverage anywhere in Canada. You will be roaming using Canadian cell phone providers, and Rogers has excellent coverage in Nova Scotia.

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
In most parts of Canada AT&T uses the Rogers network. You can check their map here for the areas you will be:
http://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/network-coverage
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
Very good on the currency issue.
Now can anyone tell me about the AT&T cell phone coverage in Nova Scotia?
Bob

mogman
Explorer
Explorer
bmwbob wrote:

The other thing I wonder about is currency. Should we exchange US dollars for Canadian at the border, or do Canadian businesses accept US currency?

Yes use Canadian currency. You are going to a foreign country.
We do not use US money, just as we cannot use Cdn. money in the US.

Have a great trip.
'15 Ford Transit 250, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:73 ls
'12 Lance 1685

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going near Halifax NS then have a look here:

www.currencyexchangehalifax.ca