cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AT&T cellphone coverage In Nova Scotia and currency question

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
We use AT&T as our cell phone carrier. We also carry a mobile hotspot in the RV for wifi which also uses AT&T.
What's the AT&T cell coverage like in Nova Scotia?

The other thing I wonder about is currency. Should we exchange US dollars for Canadian at the border, or do Canadian businesses accept US currency?
I can anticipate that doing the exchange calculations for each transaction might be cumbersome. I plan to use the credit cards as much as possible and let them do the conversion.
Bob
30 REPLIES 30

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
PackerBacker wrote:
It's funny how progress has sent us backwards. I'm in my late 60's, traveled and driven worldwide, hiked & camped throughout North America and it's only in the last 10 years that we've carried a cell phone; how did we ever manage?:E

I get a kick out of these kids everywhere you go,even today on sunday browsing thru the mall,,so many people walk around like zombies stroking the cell phone keyboard all the while...too funny

"kids"..? not only kids BIL in his 50's has his cellphone glued to his backside... sitting around campfire, he's gotta check for txt msgs and emails every 5 mins, beyond redonkulous!
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Any salesman who claims you can wander from the US into Canada and keep all your mobile phone arrangements with no extra charges is lying through their teeth.

Go to ATT's website to find out their reality.

Go to Verizon's to find out theirs.

All else is blowing smoke.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
It's funny how progress has sent us backwards. I'm in my late 60's, traveled and driven worldwide, hiked & camped throughout North America and it's only in the last 10 years that we've carried a cell phone; how did we ever manage?:E

I get a kick out of these kids everywhere you go,even today on sunday browsing thru the mall,,so many people walk around like zombies stroking the cell phone keyboard all the while...too funny

Community Alumni
Not applicable

RavenNS
Explorer
Explorer
I'm Nova Scotian and a little taken aback by this thread. we do have cell coverage everywhere; you don't even have to be too cheap to do roaming though, because if you were to have a problem and had to stop, if you stand behind your rig and look like you're about to try to fix something, multiple cars will stop and try to help you. We are nice here... People help one another.
I also agree with "dirty oil " post above... I usually just turn on a USA talk/text/data plan from my BELL iPhone, when I am at border crossing.
Enjoy your trip anyway

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
bmwbob wrote:
WARNING: FRAUD ALERT!!!!!
After visiting the local AT&T store on 27 May and being assured that in fact, our 15 gb data plan DOES include seamless use in both Canada and Mexico, we departed on 29 May.
After several stops along the way, we are now in Connecticut, with only stops in Massachusetts and Maine before the leap into Canada.
Today I received a text from AT&T telling me that if I would change my data plan, I could go to Mexico without incurring roaming charges.
Hmmm....that seemed curious considering that I ALREADY have cell coverage in both Canada and Mexico. Better call AT&T and see what gives.
Bottom line: The AT&T representative at the store in Titusville Florida LIED to me!!!!
To be clear, I questioned him in GREAT detail about this situation, and concluded by asking this question: "Are you telling me that when we go to Canada, we will be able to continue to use our phones and data just as we do here in the US?"
His answer was YES.
After a LONG conversation with Amber, the AT&T manager at some office in Arkansas, I find that in order to get the data usage we desire and cell phone coverage in Canada, I must "migrate" to their "Unlimited" plan, AND sign up for Direct TV!!! ($$$$$$$$$).
We now have to try and cancel our reservations at the campgrounds in Nova Scotia. We will make one more hop north into Massachusetts, but will probably also cancel going to Maine.
Now we have to try and figure out where we will spend the rest of the summer.
My wife is unable to drive our 38 foot class A rig should something happen to me. We are signed up through Good Sam for both roadside assistance, plus the service to get her and the rig back home.
BUT, you have to be able to call them in order to request the service.
And, my wife is so active on Facebook and texting with our kids that to lose that part of the trip would be a major downer for her.
I guess Canada will just have to get along without my little contribution! ๐Ÿ™‚
Oh, and we have been AT&T customers continuously for well over 30 years. I explained that to Amber, as well as telling here that when we get back to Florida, we will be putting our iPhones and iPads on Craigslist and switching to Verizon!
ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!
Bob
P.S.: YES I AM aware of the alternative plans that would provide us with a reduced cost per minute for phone usage and a pitifully small amount of data. They are QUITE costly for what they provide and only the Unlimited plan plus Direct TV (which we neither want nor need) would really do it for us.
AT&T offered NOTHING to resolve, or even reduce the cost of dealing with this situation which THEY created!

Gotta wonder who is "third world" here ... while transporting RVs from US to Canada, I simply went online added to my cell phone, US calling/data/texting for $30/mon through Bell Canada. Once I got into the US I would get a TXT messages from AT&T welcoming me to the US. Sometimes the greeting would come just as I crossed the border at Portal, ND or not until I made it as far as Fargo, ND.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted by the OP.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
For money I use credit unions. I just got back from Ontario 2 days ago. I withdrew $300, Canadian and it took $229.46 from my account. I make frequent trips to Ontario because my relatives are all there and do this frequently. If you go into the banks or exchanges they will get you for additional fees.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Glad you have the ATT problem figured out.
Hope you change your attitude about Canada and Canadians before you get there.
It really isn't a third world country.

Thanks! Yes, it is a big relief about the phone.
And, if you look at what I actually wrote about the RV repair place, I was recalling a negative experience I'd had here in the US and hoping to avoid something similar up there. We have nice Canadian snowbird neighbors where we live, so I know that moral deficiency is NOT a national epidemic in Canada, probably even far less so than it is here in the US.
I did apologize for the ruffled feathers, but I know there are some folks who just LOVE to argue, and I can't really do anything about them.
Thanks to all who offered helpful suggestions!
Bob

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you have the ATT problem figured out.
Hope you change your attitude about Canada and Canadians before you get there.
It really isn't a third world country.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
bmwbob wrote:
GOOD NEWS!!!!
I just spoke with a DIFFERENT AT&T person about their "Passport" international roaming plans.
After finding out that we would have to buy a separate plan for EACH of our devices (Gulp!), she further reviewed the plan we are now on the the US.
Seems like anyone on a shared data plan of 15 gb or higher gets automatic access to the Canadian and Mexican networks at NO extra charge.
No extra plan to buy, no roaming fees, nada. Our phones and iPads will work just like they do at home and use the data we are already paying for.
So, it looks like this was really much adieu over nothing. Not the first trip down that road! ๐Ÿ™‚
Bob

That's great news Bob!!! Enjoy your trip. Try and get over here to PEI if you can. If you like Nova Scotia, you'll love PEI.:)

If you do, make sure you get to New Glasgow Lobster Suppers. A feast to be had.

Take care.
S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
GOOD NEWS!!!!
I just spoke with a DIFFERENT AT&T person about their "Passport" international roaming plans.
After finding out that we would have to buy a separate plan for EACH of our devices (Gulp!), she further reviewed the plan we are now on the the US.
Seems like anyone on a shared data plan of 15 gb or higher gets automatic access to the Canadian and Mexican networks at NO extra charge.
No extra plan to buy, no roaming fees, nada. Our phones and iPads will work just like they do at home and use the data we are already paying for.
So, it looks like this was really much adieu over nothing. Not the first trip down that road! ๐Ÿ™‚
Bob

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
This is from AT&T'S website. Seems pretty simple to me. I do the same when travelling to the US. I buy a US travel plan.

AT&T has roaming agreements with all 3 major carriers in Canada.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html

Spud,
Thanks for the link. That looks workable for phone service if we can discipline ourselves to using it only as REALLY needed.
To the others: looks like I really pulled the goats beard with my reflection on having been taken advantage of by unscrupulous RV repair folks here in the States, and my wish to avoid that in Canada, if possible.
That was NOT meant as any reflection on the character of Canadians in general. We have a substantial number of those folks as snowbird neighbors here where I live, and they all seem quite nice.
To those for whom it is due, please consider this my apology.
To anyone else who may just like to argue; "whatever"!
Bob

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
You are not 'out of contact'...you just have to pay more for it if you insist on not using other options.

As for as your comment about RV shops and towns in eastern Canada. You only serve to re-enforce the already rather poor reputation that many travelers from the US have.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/