cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Austin Texas to Fayetteville Arkansas

Craig95005
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be in Austin TX just after Christmas and are considering driving up to Fayetteville AR and possibly to Branson MO. Any suggestions on pretty roads to take, nice RV parks to stay in, and things not to be missed along the way? Thanks.
Craig
9 REPLIES 9

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should you decide to go on past Fayatteville, think about diverting though Bentonville and stop at the Chrystal Bridges Museum of American Art. Every time we are in striking range, we do are we are never disappointed.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
US-71 over the mountain (okay it is less than 2,000 ft elevation) is a nice drive, now.

However in the early 70’s it was one of the most dangerous roads in the United States. The interstate with the tunnel has saved a lot of lives.

We like US-259 through Oklahoma for all the reasons stated above.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Craig95005
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses. Fort Smith to Fayetteville by a pretty back road sounds great. Any other great towns along the way? We're not committed to any particular route so we could go directly east at first and then head north, or even north into Oklahoma and then across.
Craig

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
gregirish1954 wrote:
While US-71 along the western edge of Arkansas isn't bad at all, my personal preference is for US-259 through eastern Oklahoma. A little more hilly but scenic and decent road. Above all else, avoid the I-35 corridor and especially the Dallas-Ft Worth metrocomplex, not a good place to be in a car let alone towing. Again, personal preference.

We live just west of Ore City & take this route to our hideaway east of Fayettville. Also 155 crosses 271 which goes over lower hills but adds a little more time.
No problem going over Ouachitas , 35ft Jayco 5er& Chevy Duramax.

Iceman1777
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Fort Smith State Park is a beautiful facility with full hookups. It’s just a few miles north of the I-40/I-49 interchange on US 71. Also in Fort Smith is the Springhill Park COE campground on the Arkansas River. Very nice facility. And if you want to stroll memory lane take US 71 between Fort Smith and Fayetteville. Beautiful scenery and not a lot of traffic since I-49 was built, but it used to be the main route for everybody going to Northwest Arkansas.
Paul & Tracy
2016 F-350 CCLB KR DRW 6.7 Diesel
2015 Redwood 38RL
1958 Rainbow TT
1924 Ford Model T Coupe

gregirish1954
Explorer
Explorer
While US-71 along the western edge of Arkansas isn't bad at all, my personal preference is for US-259 through eastern Oklahoma. A little more hilly but scenic and decent road. Above all else, avoid the I-35 corridor and especially the Dallas-Ft Worth metrocomplex, not a good place to be in a car let alone towing. Again, personal preference.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
BB wrote:
There are also a number of other options for going thru east Texas and either western Arkansas or eastern Oklahoma that others can comment on.

Here is one. Take US 79, but turn North at Palestine, TX onto Texas 155. This will go through Tyler, but there is a good loop around the city to the west. OR even a not too expensive toll road 49. Either way, stay on Texas 155 to just north of Ore City, then turn North on US 259 and go up through eastern Oklahoma. This goes through the Ouachita Mountains, but it is a good highway.

US 259 will re-unite with US 59 just south of Heavner, Oklahoma. At Poteau take OK 112 which will continue directly into I 540 at Ft. Smith. From I-40, I-49 is a breeze on into Fayetteville.

There is a great state Park near Tyler which would involve only a short deviation from this route, and the trip through Oklahoma leads by Beaver Bend State Park in Oklahoma and Queen Wilhelmina State Park in Arkansas.

It sounds more complicated than it really is. I've made this trip many times, and most times pulling our 34' fifth-wheel. I do think the US 259 route through Oklahoma is better then the US 71 route through Arkansas.

At least you have some good choices. I could easily name 2 or 3 more.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like you are not in a particular hurry. Based on that assumption I would take US 79 from Austin to US 59 at Carthage. US 59 to Texarkana. Then US 71 to Ft Smith and I-49 on up to Fayetteville. Been a lot of years since I have been on those roads so maybe someone else can comment on current conditions. But that gets you thru much prettier country than taking the faster route of I-35/US75/US69/I-40/I-49.

There are also a number of other options for going thru east Texas and either western Arkansas or eastern Oklahoma that others can comment on.