cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Austin, TX to Colorado Springs, CO

Robfam2014
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip Mid-March in our 1996 model Class A. We are looking for a safe route from Austin, TX to Colorado Springs, CO then on to Woodland Park, CO. The last time we traveled to Colorado Springs we went through Amarillo, west to New Mexico then north through Trinidad, CO. This was in a car and the mountain pass was a bit stressful then so we wanted to steer clear of steep inclines on our first "big" road trip. Have been looking at going north from Amarillo to Lamar, CO then west to Pueblo, CO then north on 25 to Colorado Springs. Any feedback or advise would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problems with Raton Pass, and find it fine. Been pulling over it for years. However another route is Highway 83 straight to Garden City KS, then left straight to Pueblo. However I find it slow pulling a 5th, so go to Raton and up.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last time we drove from Denver to Texas, we picked up Highway 287 in Limon and followed it through Lamar, all the way down to Texas. I liked it better than going over Raton Pass.

The only thing is that some of that road is two lanes, and I can't remember if it includes the portion you'll be on, but I'm pretty sure it does. It's generally low traffic and good sight lines, but there are some significant rises (although nothing like a mountain pass) where you can get stuck behind a slow truck (and I drive about 60).

Watch the weather, though. It can get really nasty out on the eastern plains, with wind and whiteout conditions, and I don't know if winter is over there yet.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO if you are going to visit Colorado then you need to learn how to mountain drive and the Raton Pass is one of the easiest passes in the state. I would recommend using it as a training area and drive it back and forth a couple of times. The more you drive the passes the more comfortable you will get.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Heisenberg wrote:
Raton stressful? In a car? Be careful where you go because Raton is about as easy as it gets. Pikes Peak will really freak you out in your car. I25 through Denver is what I call stressfull.

Agreed - if Raton Pass in a car is stressful, then maybe RVing in Colorado is not for them! :B

I would say that going 'up the pass' from Colorado Springs to Woodland park is just as steep and more winding than most of Raton. Have done both, many times. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Raton stressful? In a car? Be careful where you go because Raton is about as easy as it gets. Pikes Peak will really freak you out in your car. I25 through Denver is what I call stressfull.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with your plan. Highway 50 is a good choice.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Raton Pass is one of the easier passes. Really only steep the last couple miles from the top. But that section, both sides, is pretty much a straight highway. At some point in your travels, if Colorado might be in your future travel plans, it would be a good one to try just to get acquainted with passes in the MH before you go elsewhere in Colorado as many of the other passes are much higher, twisting, and steeper.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going north out of Amarillo to Lamar, then west to Pueblo and then north to the Springs, will accomplish what you set out for...avoiding Raton Pass. That's a good route, shouldn't be any problems for you.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.