cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tucson area to Show-Low, best route

Sue_and_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for alternate route to the Salt River Gorge, which though gorgeous, is steep and windy for towing our 30 foot 5th wheel. Is there a route that goes up to the 260 and through Payson? Is that better, and about how much more time does it take (we're actually in Oro Valley, just off Highway 77)?
4 REPLIES 4

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Just last week and this one we drove from Happy Jack down to Roosevelt Lake on 260/87/188, and then from there to Globe up to Show Low on 60. I would say 60 is easier, although the canyon is more demanding than anything on 87, for a few minutes. There are plenty of slow lanes, so you can go at a speed you are comfortable with. Let's put it this way, from Roosevelt Lake to Show Low I had the choice of going either way, and I chose 60. I think it is six of one, a half dozen of the other.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
The Payson route has steeper grades than the Salt River Canyon route. I much prefer the canyon.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
There are some very steep grades and tight turns going the Payson route. We drive the Salt River route with our 5er several times a year. It really isn't bad. I'm quite comfortable with it. The only time it makes me a little apprehensive is on a Sunday afternoon of a holiday weekend. The traffic can get intense.

I've seen many commercial big rigs on that route. Just make sure you stay in the right lane when you get to a passing lane to let traffic clear. Also if it backs up behind you, pull over into a turn out to let it clear. You'll be fine.

Jim - Tucson
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have done Tucson to Globe to Payson to Show Low. Not a bad way to go and only 280 miles. It is about 90 miles further than through Salt River Canyon.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad