cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bandon to Crater Lake info needed

Jones714
Explorer
Explorer
Heading out of Bandon,Or to Crater Lake. Looking for some route options to cut across. Traveling in a 40ft motor home. Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
On Google Maps I find a North Bank Ln 2 miles from the 101/425 junction, just across the river. It's hard to judge its condition since the sat view is fuzzy, and they don't have a streetview. GM says it is 24 miles to the junction of 425 and 42, 52 minutes (less than 30 mph?). That's in contrast to 17m, 22m on 425.

GM gives an alternative to 425, 8.5 N on 101 to Beaver Hill Rd, which meets North Bank Ln, and then OR42 after only 4 miles. But Beaver Hill has to drop from 500' to river level.

I've driven 425, but not the other roads. I don't recall anything particularly narrow about it. On Streetview it looks like lanes have normal width, but there aren't paved shoulders. And for a long distance is hugs the edge of the floodplain where it meets the hills. But North Bank also hugs hills on the north side. But if it was a country lane that has been paved more recently it might well be wider.

Yes...East Beaverhill off of 101 and it runs into North Bank Road. Much better road then 42s and shorter.
cpaulsen

Jones714
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Very informative

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
On Google Maps I find a North Bank Ln 2 miles from the 101/425 junction, just across the river. It's hard to judge its condition since the sat view is fuzzy, and they don't have a streetview. GM says it is 24 miles to the junction of 425 and 42, 52 minutes (less than 30 mph?). That's in contrast to 17m, 22m on 425.

GM gives an alternative to 425, 8.5 N on 101 to Beaver Hill Rd, which meets North Bank Ln, and then OR42 after only 4 miles. But Beaver Hill has to drop from 500' to river level.

I've driven 425, but not the other roads. I don't recall anything particularly narrow about it. On Streetview it looks like lanes have normal width, but there aren't paved shoulders. And for a long distance is hugs the edge of the floodplain where it meets the hills. But North Bank also hugs hills on the north side. But if it was a country lane that has been paved more recently it might well be wider.

Jones714
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again to all. Looks like there is a consensus on this one.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
When you leave Bandon....go north on 101 about 5 miles....turn right onto North Bank Road. You avoid the narrow 42S from Bandon to 42. About 5miles on North Bank Road and you hit 42.
cpaulsen

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, Hwy 42 to 138 is a good road but will be slow-going with pretty scenery. Where are you staying? We recently stayed with our 40' MH at Joseph H. Stewart State Rec. Area which was convenient for touring Crater Lake. If you continue on Hwy 62 over to Hwy 97, Collier Memorial State Park is also very nice.

Kathy: On the news a couple days ago it stated that the Nat'l Park is doing o.k. with water right now and they hope visitors will conserve. It didn't say anying about no showers, no flushies and the website under 'current condition' didn't state anything either. Did you hear something different in the past couple days?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
fyi, There is a water shortage at Crater Lake. They are trucking in water... so no showers. No flush toilets (just pit toilets).
Kathy

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
OR42 to Roseburg, OR138 to the north entrance is a good route. Good waterfalls on 138.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
OR 42S to OR 42 then pick up OR 138 at Roseburg is a fine route for you. 42 has some twist and turns to it but is a major route. From Bandon the only other alternative is to go south to the CA border and take US 199 across to I-5 and hook up with OR 62.