cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BC snow tire regulation

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
BC drivers--how stringent is the snow tire requirement for the Coquihala? We're leaving for California from Edmonton on this weekend, and just discovered the new tire regulations for BC. We can't get specialized tires on our truck (pulling a 5th wheel) before we leave. Any suggestions?
18 REPLIES 18

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
campinghut wrote:
I would be worried about this line from the rules "Recreational vehicles such as fifth wheels and trailers should have either 3-peaked mountain snowflake or M+S tires on the drive axle of the primary vehicle and chains on board for the trailer tires to prevent slippage on banked curves" If I did not have snow tires or chains I would just stay in Alberta and not go through BC never mind the fuel prices ๐Ÿ™‚

enblethen wrote:
This is very similar to what you will run into in Washington and Oregon.

These rules and laws are NOT to be a PITA for you, but for your safety and the safety and convenience of others traveling the same roads.

I have tire chains for both the TV and 5er and they are in the vehicles all the time.
I would hesitate to head out on a trip when "Chains Required" signs are up, but weather is fickle, and if caught in "Chain Up" conditions I want to be ready.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This is very similar to what you will run into in Washington and Oregon.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
I would be worried about this line from the rules "Recreational vehicles such as fifth wheels and trailers should have either 3-peaked mountain snowflake or M+S tires on the drive axle of the primary vehicle and chains on board for the trailer tires to prevent slippage on banked curves" If I did not have snow tires or chains I would just stay in Alberta and not go through BC never mind the fuel prices ๐Ÿ™‚
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's not just the Coquihala, the new regs are province-wide on designated highways, most highways are designated.

Their website though seems to say that EITHER tires with the "snowflake symbol" OR "M + S" tires are acceptable. See below.

Clicky.