cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beale AFB to Carson City in January

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Google suggests that we take Hwy 20 and hook up with I 80 at about the half way point. We have a 30' pulling a toad. It appears to be a beautiful road, but not sure if we should try it in winter
Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
LOL, your right. I live in Wash and we cross the Cascades. I think what we will do is wait til we are ready to go and make our decision then. As long as I know that 20 is do'able with a toad.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Well for California's sake, I hope for tons on snow. I saw on Google that I could go down to I 80 and take it over the Cascades and then we'd only have to be concerned about 267 and 28.

I've been on 20 in that neck of the woods in November, but not January. As mentioned, if the weather is good it is your most direct route. And its a lovely drive. But 80 is not going to get you any where near the cascades. 80 crosses the sierras. One consideration is how well Cal Trans patrols 20 above Grass Valley. Their priority is keeping 80 open and clear.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Well for California's sake, I hope for tons on snow. I saw on Google that I could go down to I 80 and take it over the Cascades and then we'd only have to be concerned about 267 and 28.

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have done it when we had a 30' MH and toad, just need to watch weather. In winter we travel i80 I keep checking the 5 day forecast at http://www.localconditions.com/weather-donner-pass-i80-california/96162/forecast.php . If bad I wait a day or two either at home in Nevada or if in CA in Sacramento for it to get cleared up then go. Hwy 20 is ok, but it does have some areas with lots of curves. Dick

JackDN0610
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the amount of snow we get this year in the area, you can either try Hwy 174 thru Colfax to I80 or go south on Hwy 49 to Bell Rd in Auburn, then east to I80. January snow north of Nevada City can make for tough driving on Hwy 20
Jack and Jo
2014 Cardinal 3450RL 4 Slides
2011 Ford F350 SD DRW