cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Route from Fresno to Camp Pendleton

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I would like some advise for traveling from Fresno to Camp Pendleton during the month of March. Not concerned about the weather only the traffic. Looks like I-5 would be the best, but would like your input. Thanks Ed
16 REPLIES 16

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Yes the weekend will help quite a bit. But Los Angeles is a big area with a lot of people. If during the day there will still be be traffic and a few slow downs.

Another thought. as tempting as it is, stay out of the carpool lane if towing. It seems that the carpool lanes there are the unofficial fast lane. If you get in it expect people to be on your bumper breathing down your neck if you're not doing 80.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Just received conformation of my reservation Camp Pendleton, Arriving 7 March which is a
Saturday. Does that alter any of the recommendations that time of travel? Thanks Ed

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Living in San Diego it's just basically a fact of life that you have to deal with LA to go north. And I've gone thorugh way more times than I care to remember. As far as Fresno, I drive that route every march to round trip to Yosemite and have so for easily 20 years. Since you are towing a trailer I would just make it simple.
99S to 5s then take either 5 or the 405 whichever your navigation says is clearer. No matter what time of day both routes will have some slowing, it's more about when you go than which route you take.

I prefer the 405 but only because the ramp to stay on the 5 is kind of convoluted and narrow and easy to miss.

As far as time, figure you are about 5 hours from Pendleton so sit and figure out the times. If you hit it right it will take 3 hours from the bottom of the Grapevine until the south end of Orange County when the traffic will clear up. If you hit it wrong it can take 6 hours to do the same drive.

Figure the real traffic doesn't start until you hit LA. So since it's about 2 hours from Fresno to the bottom of the Grapevine figure you want to leave around 7am. This has you at the bottom of Grapevine at 9am. Los Angeles at 10am when people are at work, and 11 am as you're rolling through Orange County before the lunch traffic starts.

Or if you don't mind night driving leave Fresno at 4:30pm. Bottom of the Grapevine at 6:30pm, LA at 7:30pm when most are home eating dinner, and 8:30 through Orange County.

Figure about another 45 minutes to an hour from Southern Orange County to Pendleton.

There's just not much you can do to shorten the trip beyond 3 hours. But if you don't think about the basic commuter hours in a large city you can easily double your travel time.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to camp on the base?

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Pick your route, start driving at 8pm.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The entrance for most activity afaik is at the south end so consider 5-210 across to the 15 or 215 down to the 76.

Check google maps for traffic as you come down the grapevine. Take the route with the least red and black areas. Or let Google navigate you through as I find it is very good with traffic.

If you want to zoom through consider hitting LA about 4am Sunday. Even then watch traffic that will show construction closures.

Are you camping on the base?

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the I5 210 57 I5 is the way to go.
I will be towing a 23 ft trailer.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And there you go with 3 basic routes. 405, 210, 58. :@

Sorry just can't consider 5 or 101! :?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Drive at night.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

bigjimcruising
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you want to travel far out of the way your options are limited. Having driven that route for decades (Orange County to Modesto) here you go.

99 south to where it meets I5.

Whether you need it or not top off with fuel in Bakersfield and again in Santa Clarita. If you're towing a rig there are trucks stops before and after town, much easier to use with a tow. Unless you have a problem don't get off the 210fwy with any kind tow vehicle!!! Even larger motorhomes are a major pucker factor along that stretch!!

I5 south to the 210fwy. Hope you have GPS for this! Signage along the 210 sucks to figure out.

210 to the 57 south.

57 down to I5 again.

I5 the rest of the way, you'll the signs for CP entrances.

Plan on getting into the Los Angeles basin (where the 210 starts) around 10am to 12 and no later or you're screwed! If you have a trailer or a way to camp plan to stay in Santa Clartia overnight if possible. Don't expect it to be much lighter traffic on weekends either, weekends have rush hours just like the weekdays! You're only other option to avoid the L.A. traffic is to hit the 210 after 9pm. There will still be traffic from the dying down evening rush but better the rolling into town during rush hour! Good luck!!
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, 5.9 engine with winch and service body. Getting it ready for a new camper and then hit the trails!

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up in Visalia and we travelled frequently to San Diego. 99 to I-5 to 210 to I-15 is the route we most often took when trying to avoid LA traffic. But there's still traffic no matter which way you go unless you go way out of the way... it's just a little less yucky than I-5.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would advice you to go through San Bernardino.

But, like any large city, try to go midday weekdays, or, better yet, consult your smartphone for traffic flow maps. Crashes happen.

I drove from Corona to Dockweiler Beach on a Thurday after 2pm and got there just fine following the green routes on a traffic flow map. Like the raccoon on the Geico commercial "Just try it."
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You want to see and enjoy as much as possible or just get to CP? If the latter I5 all the way....middle of the day "best."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
1ed wrote:
I would like some advise for traveling from Fresno to Camp Pendleton during the month of March. Not concerned about the weather only the traffic. Looks like I-5 would be the best, but would like your input. Thanks Ed

I have never driven I-5 straight through LA to Pendleton, BUT personally I avoid driving through LA like a plague:) especially when towing an RV. I would look at the route 99 to Hwy. 58 to 1-15 to Camp Pendleton. I use Hwy. 58 to Indio every year. Someone in this RV.net group who has taken the route you want will give you better advice..