cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Route from Maine to NC

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we are looking for suggestions on a route from Bar Harbor to NC that utilizes roads in better condition (without going too far off out of the way) and misses NYC and many of the toll plazas. We are in 45 MH with a toad. Thanks for your ideas.
2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift
6 REPLIES 6

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, we are heading back to Raleigh. We came up 95 to 64 and then 81 and 84 thru Pa. In Pa the interstates were terrible. I had rather drive thru NY than fight Pa roads again. I looked at a map but didn't see an obvious better routes than Pa or 95 so I guess it's pick your poison. Thanks for the suggestions.
2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift

MFD46er
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what we did. South out of Pawtucket, RI on I95, thru Connecticut to I287 West over Tappen Bridge on New York State Thruway(toll). On to I78 West to I81 South to I40 West in Tennessee. We kept on I40 to California. You will have to head south before or in Tennessee get to NC, presumably I26 or I40 to get to Asheville. We drove a 25 foot Thor Sprinter Siesta, no toad. Roads mostly 2 lanes each way, lots of semi trucks. We used Good Sam trip planner to plot route, you can check RV parks and Flying J/Pilot truck stops as needed. Avoided congestion and restrictions on roads and tunnels for RVs and propane in NY and NJ. Don't know if it is the best but worked great for us. Was approx $40-45 for tolls versus $15-20 for extra fuel. You can use states toll calculator to figure toll costs, PITA (pain in the axx).
MFD

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
As pulsar said, it would help to know what part of NC, plus, withing your parameters, not going to or even near NYC is doable, but to stay away from tolls, makes it harder, not going too far out of the way, is a matter of personal choice, like, how far out of the way, road condition is probably the hardest to nail down, while interstates are generally the widest straightest flattest, they can also be the most boring, and even they have places that are fairly rough.
NOW, were it me, (or I), I would run I95/295 south to I495, over to I90, then I84 thru Hartford, & Danbury, and Newburgh, NY all the way to Scranton,Pa. and pick up I81 south to at least the I64 Jct.in Va.. from there it would depend on what part of NC.
Now, you may consider this too far out of the way, plus it will not get you out of all the tolls.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
My preference us to stay west on the Interstates to completely avoid the whole 95 corridor. More miles, less stress IMHO.

95 South when you leave Maine. Around Boston on 495, head toward Hartford and Scranton. 81 south to 64 east. (Or continue south on 81 depending on your destination.) Cross Afton mountain, continue east to 288 south and rejoin 95 below Richmond. Some people cut SE on 17 to Fredericksburg, but I'd rather avoid Fredburg and Richmond.

We used that route both ways a few years ago when we went to Maine and Atlantic Canada. No guarantees on road condition or construction, but maybe someone has done it recently.

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Mike@Asheville wrote:
Hi, we are looking for suggestions on a route from Bar Harbor to NC that utilizes roads in better condition (without going too far off out of the way) and misses NYC and many of the toll plazas. We are in 45 MH with a toad. Thanks for your ideas.

What part of North Carolina? Under your name says Raleigh; but your user ID suggests Asheville.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Not going through New York City will be a problem you really have to unless you go way out of the way.Going over tapan zee bridge isn't it hat bad