cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from Northwest Ohio to Corpus Christie TX

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about going to Tx for the winter and would like the best route. We travel in a fifth wheel
10 REPLIES 10

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02, I have been looking in Aransas Pass but the ones i have contacted is full for Dec and Jan. Have any suggestions

houtrz
Explorer
Explorer
Have made that trip several times trying different routes and like this one the best.
Dayton, Cincinnati, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, Jackson MS, Baton Rouge, Houston, Victoria, Corpus.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
robogobucks wrote:
Sorry we are going to Corpus Christie Area

You might want to go just a bit farther to Port Aransas.
We were just there about a month and a half ago.
Got there before spring break and before the deluge and hail.
Beautiful weather and just a few people. You can camp right on the beach on the Gulf.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
OK, just for consideration. This relates only to the route through Texas. I will assume Texarkana as a starting point.

Take US 59 to Marshall, TX. Then TX 43 to Henderson, TX. There pickup US 79 all the way to Rockdale and intersection with US 77. Take US 77 South all the way to intersection with I-27 very near Corpus Christi.

Yes, lots of small towns, a few bypasses, but NO Dallas, NO Waco, NO Austin, NO San Antonio.

This is the route I would take and I have been over every mile of it--not all on the same trip, as I would not start in Texarkana.

I will admit to a bias: I hate driving through major cities (though I have don it many times, including every one of those Texas cities I have named. I enjoy the more relaxed towing on US and state highways. But that is a personal decision.

This is the basic route already mentioned by my East Texas neighbor:
Mount Pleasant TX, Tyler, Palestine, Rockdale, Victoria, Corpus Christi.
Except my route even avoids Tyler.

Tiger8r
Explorer
Explorer
X2 DougE route. Stay on 70 through Indianapolis, it is quicker and less traffic than the south loop. Try to catch Dallas and ft worth between 9:30 and 3:30. We drove most of that route from Texarkana to new Knoxville several years.

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, will check them out.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
I won't travel in a 5th wheel.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
75, 70, 57, 55, 40, 30, 20, 35, 37.
I commuted from Cleveland to San Antonio for a couple of years.
Currently Between RVs

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
NW OH I guess is Toledo, so Toledo, Cincinnati, Louisville, Nashville, Little Rock, Mount Pleasant TX, Tyler, Palestine, Rockdale, Victoria, Corpus Christi.
I drove the Mount Pleasant to Corpus segment last weekend...494mi. Roads are mostly 4-lane and very little construction. Louisville had terrible construction and even worse detour signage few years ago. Nashville has I40 construction East of town, but I don't remember any On the North and West side. All these road issues may not exist anymore.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry we are going to Corpus Christie Area