cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Route from Oregon (pdx) to Custer SD (MT Rushmore)

jsrore
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

So my plans change again...instead of trying to put Glacier,,,Yellowstone...Mt Rushmore in 2 weeks we will do Rushmore and Yellowstone.
research shows ALOT of sights to see in the Badlands.
any advice on the best route to take to Custer SD would be appreciated.
also thinking about staying at Big Pines RV park in Custer
2016 Montana 3790RD
2015 Ram 3500 Larmie
1998 BlueWater 18',fish/ski Boat
1 DW, 3 Dogs,
United States Navy 10yrs
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of ALL who Threaten It!
Nothing but the good life,cool breeze plenty of Beer!
10 REPLIES 10

newk
Explorer
Explorer
We've taken 12 over Lolo Pass a few times. It is a beautiful drive, but I'd guess in a motorhome or pulling a camper it's more than 2 hours longer. It's a very winding road, and you've got to be careful on those curves due to lots of bicycles that have no shoulder to use. I almost caught a couple last summer as I met a truck on one of those curves. I had to SLAM on the brakes, as I was traveling at 30-35 mph and the bikes were probably doing 5 mph (up hill). I had cake and dishes that had been sitting on the rear counter all over the floor! LOL

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too thought that US12 Lolo pass would save distance if not time. But on Google Maps it is 10 miles longer than taking I90 (and nearly 2 hrs longer).

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jsrore wrote:
google maps has several routes.

including US 26 to Casper...then WY45 to Newcastle...then 16 to Custer

any thoughts on that route

This is a good route. We use it from Colorado every time we go that way.

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Traffic - Weather - Driving time... use Weather Underground

Road Trip Planner

as far as a route... consider taking I84 thru the gorge then cut up to hwy 12 thru Orofino, (hwy 12 is a beautiful drive if they aren't doing construction) up and over LoLo Pass to Missoula where you can continue east on I90. Cuts about 400 miles off the trip.

When you get to Billings, MT , drop down to Sheridan and then over to Rapid City, SD (Takes you so close to Custer's Battlefield that you should be tempted to stop.)
Kathy

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I stayed at Big Pines in 2011 and really enjoyed the campground. Very friendly staff and the sites were really nice, well kept and roomy. We went from Medicine Hat Ab to Havre Mt, spent the night there and then travelled east on Hwy 2 to Fort Belknap and headed south on Hwys 66/191/87 to Billings and then I94 & I90 to Hardin Mt. We spent the night there at Grandview Campgrounds (friendly staff and nice sites)and then the next day took I90 thru to Moorcroft Wy and then took Hwy 16 to Custer. All of the hwys were easy to drive and there was a short stretch at Jewel Caves SD area on Hwy 16 that there was a 6% to 7% grade. Of course it being summer travel, we did hit some construction throughout our journey but that is to be expected. If you like German cuisine, Custer has a great German restaurant, The Bavarian Inn.
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are lots of threads about driving from the east to the Black Hills and on to Yellowstone. Also threads about driving from I80 to Grand Tetons.

In Wyoming the main highways to avoid in an RV, are 22 Teton Pass into Jackson, and US14 (and 14A) over the Big Horn Mtns. US16 is regarded as a reasonable way over the Big Horns. All routes south of that skirt those mountains.

On Google Maps it is easy to identify where the mountains are. Even zoomed out they are shaded as National Forests. Turn on terrain mode to see them in more detail. Zoom in even more to see contour lines. Streetview gives you road level images of the highways.

jsrore
Explorer
Explorer
google maps has several routes.

including US 26 to Casper...then WY45 to Newcastle...then 16 to Custer

any thoughts on that route
2016 Montana 3790RD
2015 Ram 3500 Larmie
1 DW, 3 Dogs,
United States Navy 10yrs

jsrore
Explorer
Explorer
starting from Mcminnville Oregon...about 40 miles SW of portland
2016 Montana 3790RD
2015 Ram 3500 Larmie
1 DW, 3 Dogs,
United States Navy 10yrs

C-172-AV8R
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you starting from. If you have the time
Just did that in our 31'Class A From B.C on the Coho Ferry through Port Angeles,Portland,Boise,Pocotello,Idaho Falls Hywy 26 to Jackson,Yellowstone Hywy 20 to Cody Hywy 310 to Billings I-90 to Devils Tower Sundance The Black Hills Hywy 385 to Deadwood and Custer where we rented a car from the RV park we stayed at which included admission to Rushmore Crazy Horse and Custer State park. (The passes covered the car cost) We left the Black Hills by 385 to Hill City and Hywy 16 to Rapid City where we went east to Wall Drugs and north to Fort Abraham Lincoln where General Custer left from on his last expedition then back to Canada. The only time I had any concern was the downgrade from Yellowstone to Cody. Go slow and you will be fine...otherwise the total experience on the roads with the motorhome was great. The only issues was smoke from the forest fires 1st at Hood River,Oregon then Boise,Idaho and then at Jackson,Wyoming. Have a great trip.....If I can offer any additional info let me know...Mike
Pacific Islanders
Abby's Doghouse... 31'Winnibago Chieftain
Casara pilot
FMCA F371731
"Any Day you wake up is a good one"
Mike/Ulla/Abby

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I90 is the fastest.