Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best route Yosemite to Vegas - route 168

Jeanique
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

I will drive in June with a RV (22ft) from Yosemite via route 395 to Las Vegas. The rental company does not allow me to drive through Dead Valley. Which route can you advice me to take? It'll be my first time driving a RV.
I was thinking about driving the 395 to Big Pine, then the 168 onto the 266 and via the 95 to Vegas. On the map I see that the 168 is very windy and I believe I need to cross some high elevation.
Would that route be OK or do you suggest another route? Has anybody driven on the 168?

Thank you for any reply!
20 REPLIES 20

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Litch, if I sounded condescending, I apologize. (Note that I am posting this in public, not just a private apology.) That was certainly not my intention -- most folks who are active on this forum know that I am strongly opposed to hostile comments, and I would never post any such thing. I am sorry that my attempt at humor fell short -- that sometimes happens.

There is a saying that "a true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude." Since it was not my intention to be rude, I fell short under that standard.

No worries, thank you for the apology.
Oldtimers and newcomers alike up here in the high country have had enough of this winter and are a little on edge, apologies if I took it too seriously.
Now it's time for us to get out of the ice box for awhile and go check out the Super bloom at Anza Borrego! That should put some smiles back on our faces. :C
2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I started it. Sorry. But I do know how much snow our Sierras can receive...and have this year, thank God.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Litch, if I sounded condescending, I apologize. (Note that I am posting this in public, not just a private apology.) That was certainly not my intention -- most folks who are active on this forum know that I am strongly opposed to hostile comments, and I would never post any such thing. I am sorry that my attempt at humor fell short -- that sometimes happens.

There is a saying that "a true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude." Since it was not my intention to be rude, I fell short under that standard.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I did not disbelieve Litch. I just wanted to confirm that this was not a typo. An apostrophe looks a lot like a quotation mark!

And if there is twelve feet of snow at 6800 feet, I can only imagine how much is piled up at Tioga Pass, at ten thousand feet. It is possible that Tioga will not open till July 4?!

Maybe try to be a little less condescending then. I certainly know the difference between the two punctuation marks. And using your little you tube reference didn't help your cause.
Have a nice day.:)

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
as a back up if 120 through Tioga is not open you can go north on 49 to 50 then east or go south on 99 to 58 and cross the Tehachapi's to 395 there.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not disbelieve Litch. I just wanted to confirm that this was not a typo. An apostrophe looks a lot like a quotation mark!

And if there is twelve feet of snow at 6800 feet, I can only imagine how much is piled up at Tioga Pass, at ten thousand feet. It is possible that Tioga will not open till July 4?!
About our trailer

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Litch, I believed you all along....not like these others!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
They are also preparing for the floods from the Walker river because of the amount of snow. My buddies house near Donner summit has a tunnel to access the door and the house cannot be seen.

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
paul, yes, I understand that the resorts have a lot of snow -- Mammoth has had over 500 inches this year. But can it be that Litch has twelve feet of snow in his own yard?? I guess it's possible. It just sounds like you'd have to enter the house through a second story window.

The waterfalls are going to be astonishing this year!

There is 12 FEET of snow in my front yard right now. It doesnt just snow that much at the ski resorts.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
paul, yes, I understand that the resorts have a lot of snow -- Mammoth has had over 500 inches this year. But can it be that Litch has twelve feet of snow in his own yard?? I guess it's possible. It just sounds like you'd have to enter the house through a second story window.

The waterfalls are going to be astonishing this year!
About our trailer

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
12 feet is only 144 inches. Many Sierra ski resorts report depths like that. Depths around Truckee will vary significantly with altitude.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Litch, did you mean 12 inches or 12 feet?? The difference between an apostrophe and quotation marks can be significant -- check out the Stonehenge scene in Spinal Tap on youtube!!
About our trailer

Jeanique
Explorer
Explorer
I thank your reply about the Eastern Sierra's, but I need to go via Las Vegas to the National Parks in Utah. I am looking for the best route (if possible: scenic route) from Yosemite to Zion, by RV (22ft)

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Vegas...ok. The Eastern Sierras...wow. Why drive through this world class area? Yosemite etc. is the western side. Try the eastern side too.

And we have a winner!

If Vegas is just to see Vegas, I'd much prefer to explore the Sierra.

Take Tioga pass over then have some lunch near Mono Lake before heading over to Bode. Then go North, taking a road either into South Lake Tahoe or North Shore. The Tahoe trip would give some of the feel of Vegas but still be in a world class, alpine area. Reno and Carson City are ok - in fact - they are probably more reminiscent of "classic" Las Vegas.

The Walker River will be extraordinary this year and will be a reassuring site through a good part of the trip.