cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Travel Route Bend, Or to Grants Pass, Or

Stoop
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to tour the Oregon Coast this summer and will be travelling from Bend to Grants Pass as we make our way to the coast. What is the best and safest route to take with a 30 ft travel trailer in tow. Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
easy peasy
what steveAE said

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a Pilot in Chemult on US97. Next fuel would be in Prospect on OR62. More options as you get close to Medford.

Stoop
Explorer
Explorer
Hi and thank you to all who responded to my post. Your insight is much appreciated. I have a question in regards to the 62-138 route. Are there service stations along that stretch of road enroute between 97 and Grants Pass/ Thanks again.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Stoop,

Almost all the possible routes will work just fine for you.
The shortest and the way we usually go is:
- Hwy 97 South
- Hwy 138 to 230 & 62
- Hwys 230 & 62 West (great camping along the upper Rogue River)
- Hwy 234 cut-off to I-5
- I-5 North to Grants Pass

Have a great trip,
Steve

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Stoop wrote:
We are going to tour the Oregon Coast this summer and will be travelling from Bend to Grants Pass as we make our way to the coast. What is the best and safest route to take with a 30 ft travel trailer in tow. Thanks.

This depends where you want to start your coast travels, do you have a certain place that you want to see ? Most all roads are good two lane roads to the coast from Bend. I have towed most all of them and no problems unless it is winter time than I don't tow at all.

If you want to start south and go north do as Korbe said
I would take 97 south to 138 and work my way to Medford to Grant Pass 199 to the coast.
J herb

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would take 97 south to 138 and work my way to Medford

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The cut off is not in Sisters and is definitely not a road for the faintof heart or RV's. i am talking about the new McKenzie highway that takes off near HooDoo Ski area. Not sitting in front of a map right now, so dont have road numbers. This one is a beautiful drive easily accomplished by any RV.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Personally I would take 20 out of Bend and cut off on the McKenzie highway ending up in Eugene. ...

McKenzie, OR242? Are you serious?
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/REGION4/McKenzie_Pass_Project/McKenziePass-2013.pdf

OR 242 and OR66 are the 2 Oregon state highways that I would not recommend for RVs.

Or are you thinking of OR126?

I remember some other thread where locals were saying, stay away from Sisters, especially during the quilting festival.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally I would take 20 out of Bend and cut off on the McKenzie highway ending up in Eugene. And continue clear to the coast. Or I5 for about 30 miles and take the road to Reedsport. Really nice drive on 101 south to the CA border. Besides Winchester Bay RV park is a dont miss place.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
OR138 has straight steady climb from US97 to the OR230 junction. That is also the north entrance to Crater Lake.

OR58 has a lower pass (barely noticeable from US97), but that takes you to Eugene, and more miles.

US97 to OR140 is another option.

Remember when looking at any pass data that Bend is already close to 5000'.

Stoop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting. Sorry by safe I just mean a route that would be recommended and appropriate. Hoping not to climb too many steep grades.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
What makes a road unsafe for you? As long as you stay on US# or (most) OR# highways you'll be 'safe'

There's nothing wrong with the route that Google Maps suggests:
US97 - OR138 - OR230 - OR62