cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way into yellowstone national park

garryearl
Explorer
Explorer
comming from cincinnati ohio to yellowstone. Reservation at fishing bridge. would the east entrance to yellowstone be better on the southern entrance. First time to yellowstone some one told me the southern entrance was better then you go down the mountains to cody wy or is both about the same or does it really matter
12 REPLIES 12

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
US 16 down grade is tough on brakes. It is one where a gas rig should stop at the top and get into a low gear. I would suggest disconnecting the toad and have navigator drive it down the to the bottom. This will reduce load on the brakes.
Make sure the rig has very little water in the holding tanks to reduce the strain on the brakes.
We have done it and couple times but need to be aware of the grade.
If in doubt, don't!
Come you may consider coming up US 20 to Cody or US 26 into Jackson. US 26 also has a down grade but not as bad as US 16.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
jeepgal wrote:
Go in east entrance, but stop in Cody for at least a day and see the museum. Give yourself some extra days to venture south to see the Tetons, worth the drive and time. We came in from South Dakota a few years ago and came through east entrance to Fishing Bridge.

It took me two days to go through the Buffalo Bill museum. We were in Cody several years ago over the 4th of July. They have a rodeo every day in July. We spent a week there
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hitchikerman
Explorer
Explorer
I also have been researching alot about this route too because were going to camp in YNP...the Tetons and Jackson Hole. I have a 35ft Fiver and the TV is a Duramax with a engine brake and I'm alittle apprehensive too. Any help would be appreciated.

TCmart
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Don't want to hijack this thread but I am planning the same type of trip but was advised against coming in from the east because of the steep grade. I have a 35' gasser pulling a toad.
Anyone with a similar rig try this route. I'm a newbie and the DW is a little nervous. Thanks.
Tom and Christine
2000 Bounder 34T
Life is Good!

jeepgal
Explorer
Explorer
Go in east entrance, but stop in Cody for at least a day and see the museum. Give yourself some extra days to venture south to see the Tetons, worth the drive and time. We came in from South Dakota a few years ago and came through east entrance to Fishing Bridge.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
East entrance is fine. Drops you right into Fishing Bridge.
Allow some time to see Teton if you use the South to enter or exit.

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
The drive thriugh DuBois is my favorite road into the park. If you descend the pass in the morning with sun at your back the view of the Tetons is amazing.

Gideon
Explorer
Explorer
There are two tunnels on Hwy 14 (east entrance) at the Bill Cody dam area - I drove my 10.5 ft. RV through with no problems - you might want to check the tunnel height before going that way - saw many 5th wheels at Yellowstone Valley Inn and thy passed through the tunnels -so it most likely will not be a problem.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
I have to agree with 2gypsies, enter from the south and spend some time in the Tetons. Then drive north to Yellowstone. Go back to Ohio by another route.

Agree! We've been through all the entrances and you can go out the East entrance and spend time in Cody on your way out.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with 2gypsies, enter from the south and spend some time in the Tetons. Then drive north to Yellowstone. Go back to Ohio by another route.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
According to my mapping program (Delorme) you have two ways to get to Fishing Bridge and surprisingly, they are both the exact same miles of 1660. Amazing!

1. From Cincinnati take I-74 to I-80/380 to I-35 a short distance to I-90. At Buffalo, WY take 16 rather than 14 (an easier drive to Greybull) then 14 west into Cody and Fishing Bridge.

2. From Cincinnati take I-74 to I-80 to Rawlins, WY. Then pick up 287/26 into Dubois, WY continuing west into Grand Teton Nat'l Park then north to Fishing Bridge.

I would highly recommend that you allow a few days in Grand Teton Nat'l Park as it's completely different from Yellowstone in looks and in things to do. If you want hookups, Colter Bay RV is the one. If you can do without hookups both Colter Bay campground (right next door to the RV park) or Gros Ventre campground both have 300 non-reservable sites and if you plan it to get into the area in the morning you will have no problem getting a site. Gros Ventre is our favorite.

Since they're both the same distance, you could take one way there and the other way on the return.

Be sure to check out the park's web sites. They give lots of good information on what to do, the road information (sometimes there's repair issues), etc.

Grand Teton National Park

Yellowstone National Park
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, east entrance. Don't forget to plan some time in Cody.
If you come over US 16 watch the down grade.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker